Houston-Medical Center restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Debbi

Hello,
Hopefully that somewhat defined what I am looking for. I am staying with a family member in the Medical center area in Houston. Where can I find a good Tex-Mex restaurant...also what about Texas barbecue? Can't venture too far from Medical area...I don't have a car, so I have to rely on public transport, hotel shuttle (which only goes 2 miles away), or taxi. Any help would be appreciated!

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Betty

I worked in the Texas Medical Center for 9 years and would like to share my information with you. There are many good Tex-Med restaurants around the Medical Center. If you like Texas BBQ, I would highly recommend "Goody Company" on Kirby Dr., which is about 5 miles from the Medical Center. There is a very good Visitor Center next to the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center (on Holcombe Blvd.), which provid information about restaurants, free transpotation for familiy members and visitors of patients, and free bus tour in the Texas Medical Center - the largest medical center in the world with 41 medical institutions. Hotels around the Medical Center also provid shuttle services. You can find more information at www.mdanderson.org. Hope this is helpful. Betty

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Betty

Debbi, I forgot to tell you that Goody Company used to have a country music band to play live music (free) every Friday and Saturday. Check with the Visitor Center for updated information. Enjoy. Betty

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:49 AM
pistol pete

That's Goode Company, Betty.

http://www.goodecompany.com/

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
travellyn

Try the Rice Village area for all kinds of restaurants, good shops, etc. It's a few blocks from the med center. You might check the Zagat guide for Houston for recent listings. I have a lot of favorites, but haven't been there for almost 5 years, so I'm sure the restaurants have changed. Goode Company is well-known for good barbeque.