List: Things I like best about New York City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 10:20 AM
dave

List: Things I like best about New York City

Am feeling patriotic and thankful...

To start:

1. The awesome water pressure in the showers
2. A cab on a moment's notice and a cabride for less than $10 (generally)!
3. Central Park, Central Park, Central Park
4. TKTS
5. Home/hotel delivery from nearly every restaurant you can name
6. Il Buco in SoHo

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 10:30 AM
jan

Yes! TKTS!

And -- $6 ticket to the observation deck at the Empire State Building

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 10:33 AM
Cheryl Z.

The food!

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 11:19 AM
Patrick

The fact that anything you want (and I do mean anything) is available to you virtually 24 hours a day. Hungry for sushi at 4 AM? Looking for a Russian newspaper? Want to see the foreign film you missed last year? Need a pair of orange and purple striped socks?

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 11:23 AM
Owen O'Neill

In no particular order...

1) the energy level of people in general - it's contagious and makes me feel more activated/energetic than anywhere else I go
2) the incredible selection of reasonably priced restaurants with every imaginable cuisine
3) the subway system that gets me everywhere I need to go at all times of day
4) the incredible selection of live music in every conceivable genre
5) the amazing selection of movies - so many movies show first in major cities including NYC but even better, there are classics and rereleases that show in NYC and very few other places (in some cases nowhere else)

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 11:31 AM
Annie

1. Waking up hungover and ordering a movie for the vcr and breakfast.
2. Picked up and delivered drycleaning
3. Best shows in the world.
4. Best food in the world.
5. Christmastime in NYC.
6. $1.50 flat fee for bus or subway.
7. Grand Central/Penn Station are in the middle of the city- easy access.
8. Easy to escape- beach, mountains, country, etc.
9. Shopping, say no more.
10. Museums.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:13 PM
C

I don't live in NYC anymore, but this is the one thing I love about New York City-the people....they may seem rough or even perhaps rude to some , but there is no one on this planet with a bigger heart, they may seem not to have the time of day for anyone,rushing here and there, but they will be right there for you if you need them,they may seem self concerned, but have a problem and they will be there, helping in whatever way they can...New York City would be just another city if it weren't for the peoplethat live there~NEW YORKERS!

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 04:53 AM
clarissa

the sheer diversity of the people. i revel in the city's melting pot and have found it to be the city's greatest strength. it can sometimes be it's biggest weakness as well. i'm half filipino and half irish and my boyfriend's halfblack and half white. we hardly get second looks here because it is such a melange of cultures and i really love it here the most because of that.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Paul Rabe

1) the energy of its people
2) cultural diversity
3) ethnic diversity
4) shopping
5) museums
6) food
7) nightlife
8) shows

What I really love about New York is that it is the number one city in the US in ALL of the above categories! And I say that as a Philly native!

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Celeste

I love the fact that everyone sounds like me, a Native New Yorker, even though I moved away 20 years ago.

It has the best food in the world. Period.

Seeing the skyline (even now) is an awesome experience even though I've seen it thousands of times. From the Staten Island Ferry, from the 59th Street Bridge, from the approach to the Midtown Tunnel - there's just nothing like it.

Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Off-Off Broadway

The different neighborhoods, each a world in itself.

FAO Schwartz - the original, not a store in some mall in Florida

And of course the people. No matter where I may live, there's nothing like my fellow New Yorkers!

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Ess

Walking.

Walking everywhere. If you're not pressed for time, you can walk anywhere in NYC, passing through neighborhoods, stopping to browse along the way, just taking everything in. It doesn't cost a thing, it's great for your cardiovascular health, and it's the best thing you can do in NYC to get a real "feel" for the city. It's a great, free feeling not to be reliant on a car.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 09:40 AM
chuck

1. the view of the manhattan skyline as you drive (well, ride to be honest) in from la guardia
2. the undercurrent of excitement
3. feeling welcome and accepted (as compared to, say, Paris)
4. such diversity of cultures and ethnicities in close proximity--the apparent fact that new yorkers get along very well despite their differences
5. the unexpected beauty of central park
6. the lights of times square
7. the met
8. room service at the plaza (I probably will never have that opportunity again, but it sure was grand once)
9. the museum of television and radio
10. the unexpected--finding a great old-fashioned milkshake in a simple italian restaurant in mid town?!?

Can't wait to visit again.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 11:24 AM
sonia

i don't drive at all (there are people out there who weren't meant to get behind the wheel, i am convinced) so new york has been a fabulous place to live in for me. but that's just a small part of the ny experience for me. i know my travels anywhere have been limited because i don't drive but that is fine.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 12:04 PM
L

The way it feels and looks the moment you walk out your door. Where else can you pick a street to walk from the Hudson to the East, and have an adventure. Different street, new adventure. Limitless. Ciao