Which aquarium in Texas?

Jul 18th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Which aquarium in Texas?

From half September my husband and I will visit Texas for three weeks (we live in the Netherlands). We will go cross the state and visit the major places.
We love aquariums but are now confused because there are so many! We would love to visit them all but I guess since there is so much to see that we should narrow our choices to two.
Which ones should we pick?

Also, if you have additional recommendations on what to see and do we would love to hear it!
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Honestly, the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus is the nicest one to see aquatic life. I was there when it opened in 1993, and it was very nice. There are many hands-on exhibits, too.

The Dallas *World* Aquarium is really nice, but it's more of a zoo than an aquarium. They have live manatees, an Amazon crocodile, and a huge aviary. They only have a few tanks of fish and sharks, but they are very nice. There are also South African penguins that are CUTE!

If you come to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, be sure and visit the Fort Worth Stockyards. It is what many visitors think of as the "real Texas."
Jul 18th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Christie,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I heard there is nothing else to do in Corpus Christi, just one big apparently, ugly, harbour. Was I informed correctly?
We will be flying into Dallas/Fort Worth.
I heard about the Fort Worth Stockyards but so far have not yet been able to find any more info.
Thanks again for your reply,
Martine
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:02 AM

I haven't been to Corpus in a long time, so I'm not sure of what else there is to do there.

Look on the internet for the Fort Worth Convention & Visitors' Bureau. They will have lots of info about the Stockyards. There are cattle drives daily, too.
Jul 18th, 2003, 08:58 AM

I dunno, we weren't all that impressed with the aquarium near Corpus. (Even less impressed with Corpus...)

You say you are crossing the state...from where to where? Your route might make the difference in where you go. Also, what other interests do you have?
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Hum...here's an idea. Why not check out Moody Gardens in Galveston? They have an Aquarium 'Pyramid', a Rainforest Pyramid and a Discovery Pyramid. You can buy tickets to all three or any combination. They also have an IMAX theatre, a small water park, and paddle boat. I really enjoyed the Aquarium and Rainforest. Do a web search for Moody Gardens. The first site that came up had a virtual tour that may be helpful to you. While in the area, you could visit NASA, do some shopping in the Strand National Historic district, or have a meal the the Aquarium Restaurant! It's located on The Boardwalk in Kemah and is like dining under water. Do a web seach for 'The Boardwalk, Kemah' and info will come up. Have a great time!
Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Austin,

We will be landing in Dallas, first two nights will be spend in Arlington to fight the jetlag. Our itinerary is still relatively open.
However, we will go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Amarillo, El Paso, maybe South Padre Island (not in this particular order of course).
We like a lot of stuff. We like to see how things worked in the old days, for instance I heard there is an oil museum in Kilgore. So things about the state and how it came about. (the Alamo in San Antonio being one of the obvious things).
We like to see "real American stuff" so no 'paintings of European masters' since there is enough of that overhere.
Further we like aquariums and zoos, basically anything with animals.
We would like to visit some festivals. Two years ago we were at the "Apple Harvest Festival" in Pennsylvania. Stuff like that, you get the picture.
We love to do factory tours, two years ago we were at Snyders of Hanover, last year we were at Budweisers and Jelly Belly.
Besides that we love to shop and eat. We love to discover were the locals go.
Also we love driving scenic routes. We like nature in general but are not hikers or anything.
We will go to a
Hope this gives a picture of what we like.

Regards,
Martine
Jul 22nd, 2003, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

I was not quite done yet....
We will go to a Texas Rangers game. We went to baseball games before but are still not exactly sure about how it works with the innings etc.
Never mind, we love the atmosphere and everything that happens in the stadium.
Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ally! We already had NASA on our list but will look into that boardwalk thing and the Strand
Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:02 AM
Original Poster

Historic District. I had heard about that pyramid thing but did not realize they have an aquarium also. Will do a websearch
Thanks again!
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM

Martine - When in Austin, visit the Texas State History Museum for some great Texas History. http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

To do as the locals do, you can dine at the County Line on the Lake for some barbeque, and also provides a scenic drive out to the lake. Have a drink and watch the sunset at the Oasis. If you are into music, Austin is referred to as the Music Capitol of the World...You can check the Broken Spoke for some Honky Tonk music... Spend a day in Fredricksburg.

Several people have mentioned great things about a resort in the Hill Country. Possibly a Hyatt Hill Country Resort?

San Antonio has the Riverwalk and a Zoo. On the way from Austin to San ANtonio are two major outlet malls, one in San Marcos and another in New Braunfels. (Actually, I think I read that the Tanger Outlet Mall in San Marcos is one of the major tourist attractions in the state...)

Will think of more here sooon...
Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:47 AM

The Corpus Christi aquarium is the only one in Texas I have visited. About 3 years ago. There was less to it than I expected. The only mammals were three river otters.

Keith
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM

The Texas State Acquarium in Corpus has several new exhibits including a brand new Dolphin Bay. It's beautiful, informative, and entertaining. Their website is http://www.texasstateaquarium.org
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:14 PM

If you do go to Corpus Christi, you might want to take a dolphin watch trip. Our family went on one of these trips 2 years ago, and we found it quite enjoyable. I think it was called Dolphin Connection, and we caught the boat a few miles north of Corpus.

In the vicinity of Corpus, you'll also find the Atascosita (sp?) wildlife refuge. It's near Aransas Pass. Endangered whooping cranes winter at the refuge, but September is probably a little early to see them.

I like the town of Rockport better than Corpus Christi, but I love the seafood in Corpus.