Where's your favorite roller coaster?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visited Busch Gardens in Williamsburg this week and their new roller coaster - the Griffin (sp?) was a blast! (I think this is the same roller coaster that is in their Tampa park). I also liked the Apollo. My younger son loved the Alpengeist - but I was too chicken - I can't handle the corkscrews!

My older son like the Hulk in Universal - I had to lie down after riding that one!

So - where are best drops, funnest rides, scariest coasters you've been on?
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I can't stomach them myself, so I asked my 17 year old: Big Dipper in Santa Cruz, CA, California Screamin at California Adventure and Rock N Rollercoaster at Disney World.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:48 PM

I haven't done rollercoasters for ages, but the DRAGONCOASTER in Playland; Rye NY is a classic wooden roller coaster built by Fred Church in 1929. A sign over the entrance said "Smooth and Comfortable". At the coaster climbed up it's first ascent, you entered a Dragon's open mouth and it was pitch black. You raced around a left turn and then dropped downnnnnnnn. The rest wasn't bad, but that first drop was a doozie.

Length: 3400'
Height: 80'
Inversions: 0
Duration: 2:00 minutes {THAT ALL???}

For picutres:

www.rcdb.com/ig231.htm

and

www.ridezone.com/parks/ny/rye/playland20.htm

I think it was even designated a National Historic site or something.

Used to ride it over and over again.. long ago.

Debi
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Sheikra and Montu in Busch Gardens

Superman at Six Flags

Xcelerator at Knotts Berry Farm CA is a ride I'll never do again
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I know it's an oldie but I still love Space Mountain. Nothing like a roller coaster in the dark.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Okay, speaking of Disneyland, would you call Big Thunder and the Matterhorn roller coasters? If yes, I can stomach those two. And without Dramamine!
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM

The old Big Dipper in Santa Cruz will always be my favorite.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
dmlove

My personal favorite is Space Mountain, because it's great being in the dark, and it's "just enough" coaster. But my family thinks I'm a wimp, and they love Magnum and The Raptor at Cedar Point, and Top Gun and Great America.

Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM

What about the Brooklyn Cyclone??? I remember being quite scared by it...much moreso than any modern coaster has ever done to me!

Jayna
travels at www.ususbaby.com
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM

I love Xcelerator at Knott's! My favorites include: Goliath and Riddler's Revenge at Six Flags Magic Mountain and GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm...especially around Halloween when you ride it backwards!
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM

Almost anything at Cedar Point in Sandusky Ohio!! They still have like 5 of the top 10 coasters.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

My husband wants to do a "pilgrimage" to Sandusky. One of these days!

Hawiaan - I think Sheikra at Busch Gardens/Tampa is the same as the Griffon in Busch Gardens/Williamsburg.

And I wanted to add to my list the NYNY roller coaster in Las Vegas - what a ride!

Superman sounds great - are there a lot of corkscrews? My older son did that one when he went with friends to Great Adventure...I keep saying we have to all get there - sometimes we overlook the things closest to home.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Love the superman at six flags lots of corkscrews etc. the ride ends too quickly though.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM
GoTravel

Either Kracken at Sea World or Hulk at IOA Universal Studios.

Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Another vote for the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I am really glad you asked that question. I have been wondering where I could go to have the most fun on a roller coaster without feeling like I have wasted my money. I watched a showed called "Build it Bigger" on the Discovery Channel and they featured a few coasters that were mentioned here. I plan to visit Six Flags Fl. as soon as possible. Also Cedar Point.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Another vote for Kracken at Sea World.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Big Dipper in Santa Cruz. You also can't beat the view!
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Most fun I've had on a roller coaster was on Phoenix at Knoebel's in Elysburg, Pa. GREAT family run park, no admission fee, and reasonable prices on rides and food.

Another favorite ride is Raven at Holiday World in Santa Claus, Ind. HW has three really great wooden coasters and it's another family-friendly park.

My favorite woodie at the moment is Thunderhead at Dollywood. And their new Mystery Mine themed coaster is excellent.

Shiekra at Busch Gardens in Tampa is a lot of fun. As was mentioned before, Gryffon at BG in Williamsburg is a sister coaster and should also be excellent. I love the fact that the skyride goes right through the middle of the coaster!

If you or your kids like coasters, I encourage you to get out and visit the smaller more local places instead of the huge destination parks. You'll find some real gems there.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I agree, xrae. The Phoenix was great - and Knoebels is a gem of a park.

I also like the Steel Force roller coaster at Dorney Park - they also had a great wooden roller coaster, but I didn't care much for their newest one - it scrambled my brains a bit too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -