Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where's a good overnight stop between Memphis to Dallas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving from Memphis to Dallas, is there something interesting on the way that a couple in their mid 30's visiting from the UK can stop and stay overnight - maybe do something fun? They're pretty open to anything. I imagine they'll probably arrive sometime in the afternoon and will leave again first thing in the morning.

Also, what cool sights on the way from Memphis to Dallas should they make a stop for. If you can also suggest a good route, that would be great!

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

tt
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:21 AM

Not much between Dallas and Memphis. There is Texarkana and then there is Little Rock. Dallas to Memphis should be about a 7 hour drive I-30 east to I-40 east). For Little Rock subtract 2 hours from that time. If I had a choice (I lived in Memphis for 20 years and have done Memphis - Little Rock many times) I would drive the extra 2 hours and wind up in Memphis.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:07 AM

I'd drive from Memphis to Little Rock in the morning, do lunch in Little Rock, see the Bill Clinton Library. I think there may be a few other things to do in Little Rock, do a search.
and then spend the night in Texarkana. or really maybe just push on through and go all the way to Dallas.

or alternatively they could go to hot springs. The problem is that between Little Rock and Dallas, there's not much at all. and somewhere in there is halfway and where they would stay the night, if really there was anyplace to stay.

I'm not sure Texarakana is worth the overnight. though they could stand on the stateline and straddle both states.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks all. i think they're leaning more towards staying in hot springs. any thoughts on that place?
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM

Hot Springs = Dilapidated spa town for Ozarkian types with money (or at some places, without money).

Not interesting or worth the stop.

Texarkana is a great town to drive straight past.

Just leave early and press on through to Dallas.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM

DeGray Lake State Park is nice. There is a lodge there, beautiful lake, hiking trails, many water activities such as boating and kayaking on the lake, swimming pool, sandy beach swim area, bikes to rent, tennis courts, horseback rides, golf course and other activities. It's about 10 or 15 minutes off of I-30. www.degray.com Located close by is a canoe rental place for the Caddo River and Ouachita River. http://www.tworiverscanoerental.com/index.html (I haven't rented from them or kayaked on these rivers yet, but I can highly recommend DeGray Lake Resort State Park.)

Hot Springs is about 30 to 45 minutes off I-30.

DeGray Lake is worth a stop for. Otherwise, I would just drive straight through, seven hours isn't really that long of a drive.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM

Are you in a hurry to do this? If not you could drive up into the Ouachita Mountains and see if a room is available at the lodge in Queen Wilhelmena State Park, right on the AR-OK border. That's maybe 4-5 hours or so from Memphis, I'd guess.

http://www.queenwilhelmina.com/

Then take the scenic route in eastern OK, which is beautiful country, either south on OK rte 259, or down the Winding Stair Mountain on Rte 1, to Rte 271, south towards Texas and Dallas. Beats Texarkana anyday.

Also, if you drink, check for the dry counties in Arkansas. The Lodge is located in a dry county, I think, and I didn't stay there so don't know for sure if they serve booze. Best to have a cooler of cold beer and/or wine, etc when in Arkansas to begin with...just in case.