Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

where would you stay in washington d.c.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:37 AM
christine

My husband and I are looking forward to a week in d.c next March.We would like something special that is close to the metro and also within walking distance to nice shops and restaurants.We are Canadian and have never been to the U.S capital before and would appreciate any advice .

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:22 AM
John

Christine, I would suggest something in the DuPont Circle area. There are lots of hotels, decent restaurants, and a nightlife. The Metro is also right there. DuPont is halfway between Georgetown and the Mall, so you will also be centrally located for all your sightseeing.

Hotels around DuPont include the Westin Fairfax (my favorite), the Radisson Barcelo, Westin Grand, Hilton Embassy Row.

Good luck!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:03 AM
bill

For a truly memorable stay, I would recommend the Willard Hotel Also, my favorite restaurant is 1789 in Georgetown.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:20 AM
frankie

Just got back, and for the money you can't beat the JW Marriott on Pa. Ave. NW about 13th. Close to metro, the mall, main downtown area. Cheaper than Willard or anything up on 16th st. like Hay Adams. DuPont Circle is a bit off the mail track of things you'll wnat to visit and see. Stay near the White House, and it will save you time.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:38 AM
Dawn

If you want a truly memorable experience at a hotel in DC, then stay at one of the older historic hotels like the Hay-Adams, the Willard, or the Mayflower.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:29 AM
John

Don't bother with the Hay Adams. It is in a fantastic location, but the rooms are beginning to show wear and tear. The hotel is slated for renovation at some point soon, but until then, it's not worth what you will pay. The Willard, Mayflower, St. Regis, or Westin Fairfax are much better for a luxury stay. Also, the Ritz in Pentagon City is right on top of the metro and only a few stops from downtown. They often run specials that make it very worthwhile.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:44 AM
annie

Christine:
Stayed at the St Regis last Christmas. Loved it! 1 block from the Metro and 3-4 from the White House. Got a great rate from www.orbitz.com. Enjoy your visit!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Kelli

The Hay Adams is currently being restored and will reopen March 13, 2002. For further information, www.hayadams.com.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Stephanie P

Christine:

I'd suggest J. W. Marriott too. Try looking on lodging.com for some more affordable hotels. I know Canadian currency is not equal to U.S. dollars and hotels people are mentioning are a bit on the pricey side even in U.S. dollars. If you have a week you might want to stay in Rosslyn, VA, right across a bridge from D.C. and a short walk to the Metro.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
christine

Thank you all for the advice.