Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where would you NOT go, even if they paid for a trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Cathy

You have won a free 5 night trip to the worst place in America, you will be put up for free at their local 5 star hotel and all your meals are free at the nicest eating places in town. You will also be given $200.00 for misc. expenses.

Is there a place in the USA that you would refuse to visit even if all these things were given to you? If so, where is it?

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Ellen

Disneyworld. I really did turn down a trip like this. When my dad retired, he celebrated by taking everyone (mom, kids, grandkids) to WDW. I stayed home! You can bet that he would have sprung for more than 200 in souvenirs, too!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Chet

New York City or Disneyworld.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:24 AM
mlf

I have found very few places i would not return to and ive been around the world.....I would have to think twice before returning to Egypt but other than that.......

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Ispeak

We just got back (last night),with our kids from DisneyWorld and Universal, had a great time, stayed in 2 really fun hotels, Swan and Hard Rock BUT, I will never go to the Magic Kingdom again.

When we walked into MK last Friday, it was so crowded and the crowd was, well how can I put this without being flamed? I guess I can't, so here it goes. The crowd was the motliest crew I've ever seen anywhere. I only hoped foreign visitors don't think that many Disney guests are not representative of the entire country. No wonder the phrase "Ugly American" was coined. Apparently people who can't afford shampoo, proper nutrition, dental care or a decent wardrobe can somehow come up with the significant dollars a Disney vacation costs. We walked in, tried fighting the crowds for half an hour, saw the waits of an hour and promptly turned around and left. We then went to Epcot, and the rest of the parks for the duration of our trip and had a great vacation. Staying at the Hard Rock and being able to go to the front of the lines at Universal and IOA was a lifesaver. You couldn't pay me to go back to the "Magic" Kingdom though. Never again.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:45 AM
ya

Jamaica

Atlanta

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:58 AM
rod

Nowhere. I would take any free trip I could get. Travel is about seeing new places.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:58 AM
luke

Buffalo, New York. If God gave the world an enema, he would stick the tube in Buffalo.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:06 AM
XXX

Afghanistan, PAkistan, Libya, Iraq, . . .

Would travel to any tourist destination period. Love to travel but don't want to get shot or stay in a 5 star cave!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:07 AM
MH

Huntsville, Alabama. This state probably doesn't even have a 5* hotel, no a decent restaurant that is not a mediocre chain and there is no where to spend 200.00 except the plethora of wal-marts. This is one place that serves no purpose whatsoever...after living there for 3 yrs with a govt job I quit and moved to europe, where life is good and the quality of my life is even better...

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:13 AM
ryan

HELL. If it exists, it would probably be a one way ticket.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Lynyrd

Alabama serves no purpose, MH? Do you ever use cotton? Do you ever eat chicken? Alabama, I believe, leads the nation in chicken broilers. Alabama is a big producer of lumber. Do you live in a house, sleep in a bed, read a newspaper, magazine or book? A lot of important things come from Alabama. It's a place of good living, great fishing, good country food, open spaces, liveable places and God-fearing Christians. I might have a hankering to move there myself.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:52 AM
pippy

LA, Vegas and Disneyland

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Yankee

ATLANTA, a pustule on the buttocks of America.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Jen

NEBRASKA!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Tookie

Atlantic City, NJ
Tijuana, Mexico (US only, I know...)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Houston, TX
Any condo along the FL coastline

#1 Loser destination: Fodortown, USA.
Population: you.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Susan

I'd say Houston, but if I'm staying in a five star hotel and all my meals are free at the best restaurants I think I'd even go to Houston!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:23 AM
food critic

There are no best restaurants in Houston.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Christina

Some people have gotten a little off base with foreign countries... but basically, there are very few places I would ACCEPT such an offer for. Your question implies people will do anything for a free meal, regardless of how boring and waste of time it is. Some people obviously will, but I value my time and energy more than that. Also, for many people, including myself, free time is the limiting factor. To do what you suggest, I'd have to take vacation time which is very valuable to me -- and anyone who is working. Figure out what a day's vacation time is costing you, and such a trip is very expensive. Most cities don't even have 5-star hotels and 5-star restaurants, so the question isn't realistic, anyway. My hometown is a small town in Ohio and, even though within an hour's drive of a major city in that state, that town has no accommodations above a Super 8 Motel, and no decent recent (there is one bar that serves food and a chain family restaurant). That is the reality of most places, and certainly the "worst" ones. My own home is perfectly comfortable, so getting a free room in a hotel in some place I don't want to be is worthless to me.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:38 AM
lll

Baltimore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -