Where would you go on your last trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:59 AM
kim

Hi fodorites,
Just wondering where you would choose to go if you knew your next trip would be your last trip. And no, you can't say an around the world vacation. Would you go to an old favorite? Or someplace new and exotic?

To answer my own question: I would absolutely go someplace I've never been before. I love nature and spectacular scenery - my first thought was Alaska. But on second thought, I've heard that Alaska can't compare to the fjords - so maybe I would choose that instead. Then again...

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:26 AM
Upward Bound

Heaven.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:32 AM
SpirituallyAfficted

This is depressing. Sorry.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:50 AM
kevin

Upward Bound: Do you know of any good hotel in heaven?

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:03 PM
Cindy

Kevin, I've heard good things about the "Let Me Inn."

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Patrick

I'd travel to the nearest 7-11 and stock up on lots and lots and lots of ice cubes, just in case.

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:02 PM
KATHY

You people are morbid. Just because its your last trip doesn't mean your going to die. You might just be going to the poor house, having children, or getting too old to travel.

I couldn't decide on just one place for my last trip. I would want to go to all the places that are on my list of vacations. Aruba, New York, Paris, London, Egypt, Alaska, Venice, and Greece.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:15 AM
Patrick

Kathy, and you call us MORBID? Of the four options you mention, I'd prefer dying!

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 06:31 AM
Cindy

Kathy, do you know how much they charge for a double room at the poor house?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 02:42 PM
Jeanette

It's my experience that regardless of why, most people don't ever realize that it's their last trip when its happening. My parents are in their 80's and no longer travel at all. They did travel quite a bit in their 50's / 60's. Asked them what their last trip was and they said to bury one of my uncles in Florida. (Are we having fun yet?) So I do think one answer may be to plan every trip as if it were your last and if you really want to see something, see it sooner rather than later.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
Charles

Jeanette's philosophy is on the mark. When you are 80, like I am and still travel, you also eat dessert before dinner.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:23 PM
kal

Good one Charles...And always drink the GOOD wine.
If it is the last as in I'll be DEAD trip...Hmmmm.
No matter where I'd go, it would be in first class. Whether in a plane, train,cruise ship, bicycle, or car it would be top of the line and no bargain shopping. I may even let an evil travel agent plan it!

Oh and make sure there would be enough life insurance $$$ left over to pay for it so I wouldn't dump on the wife.

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:04 PM
kam

I would just go to Florence and spend at least a month. Then I could die happy. Ciao!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 05:36 PM
e

Naples, of course.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Sam

Kim, if I knew that my next trip would be my last I would not go anywhere! I'd have friends over for dinner more often, I'd tell my spouse & son how much I love them,
I'd play with the cats, I'd go for long walks & stop & chat with the neighbors,
I'd call my parents every day & tell them I love them, I'd worry less & I'd
listen more. I'd try to be a hell of a lot more forgiving. I'd learn to love my life and not always be questioning what it's all about.....

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Slim Now

I'd eat delicious food until I was a bloated mess. They wouldn't be able to lift the casket.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:07 AM
L

The comment about "morbid" was right on. What this thread needs to round it out is a comment or two on plans by actual dying people. Shiver!!!!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Charles

All these comments have been written by somone who is dying, sooner or later. Jeanette is still correct.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Styx navigator

Why is everyone so obssessed and disturbed about death and dying? Face it, we're not living until eternity. Just live and enjoy each day as if it were your last. Each new day, then, becomes a gift! My last trip? Nepal.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:10 AM
Maryanne

Everytime I have traveled, I've done so thinking it COULD BE MY last trip. I have the time of my life every time...even if I AM alone. LOL

I'd go to Boston and the Cape in the fall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -