Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to take the teenagers this summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we are struggling over where to go July or Aug, about 8 to 10 days.

We have considered visiting friends and family on the east coast (VA, Delaware and PA), or W. Canada (Vancouver, Whistler), or Alaska cruise, now we are talking HI.

We have two teenagers that are not that much into scenery. We have dragged them on MANY scenic vacations with long drives. They have been great. But since we are up for whatever, just thought I would put the question out there for others who have dragged their teens and they loved the experience.

Want to stay in the states, probably, and go somewhere they can have some fun, be a little on their own. Girl 17 and boy 13. Don't want to go to Disney World. Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Our teens love the beach and big cities. Great scenery is wasted on them. You could have a great time on the east coast spending some time at the beach and then some time in NYC, Washington, DC, or Philadelphia. YOu'll find lots of info on this site on various Atlantic coast beaches. Although we've gone as far north as Maine, we find Delaware (Rehoboth, Bethany) and Maryland (Ocean City-especially the northern end) offer the most for our crew.
On the otherhand, if we offered our kids a trip to HI, they would jump on that one (so would I)
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM

I highly recommend Colorado. We go every summer for an extended time. The weather is perfect with tons of outdoor stuff for teens to do. Mine are 14 and 17 and can't get enough of it. They can rent bikes or bring them and ride for miles on paved paths, whitewater raft, horseback ride, hike, bike down the mountains, swim, fly fish you name it it's there. We stay in Vail which is a small quaint town where they can roam safely on their own. If your summers are hot, then that's the place to go.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:02 PM

Why don't you ask your children where they'd like to go?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Tess

First off, where do you live? If you live near mountains, I won't suggest the Rockies, for example. My 15 and 12 year olds love cities since we live in a smallish town. A Washington D.C. trip followed by Virginia Beach was a huge hit with our group, as was New York City. Sometime I'd like to take them to LA--there's so much to do there and the atmosphere is just made for teens. We live near Denver so go there often--it's a great city and could be combined with a trip to the mountains (tons of fun things to do up there in the summer--alpine sledding, horseback riding, golf, tennis, swimming...). This summer we're going on a 7 day Caribbean cruise (the kids' first one) for something different--we're all getting excited! My husband and I love vacations with the kids--no phone, no MSN, no friends, no X-box--it's great. I'm always amazed at how two kids who are typical squabbling siblings at home suddenly bond when we're on vacation--it's worth every penny!

Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM

I took my sixteen year old son to Vancouver BC on a business trip and he thought it was pretty cool. He is not into scenery, more music and art. I managed to find some vintage music stores and hip clothing shops to entertain him. The city was beautiful (even he admitted it)and there were lots of things to do and see for everyone.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. #1 We are in So Cal in the dessert, so it is very hot in July and Aug. #2 If we ask the kids what they want to do, they will say to rent a beach house in San Diego like we did last year, and like their friends all do. BORING. I love San Diego, but not in August.

#3 We have done W. Co for vacation and loved it. Mom and Dad love the mountains. Nice, cool, clean, not so crowded. Kids love the beach, crowded, hot (it was hot last year), noisy and expensive. And I cooked constantly. So...

The search continues. I am leaning back to HI. I agree. They would love that. But where? Oahu, Maui? What hotel that doesn't have a mil rug rats running around. What to do, what to do...
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Our kids are 13 and 17 and since we live in the Boston area, they thought it was cool that we went to west coast twice in past 3 years - so why not try Boston area. Boston is compact and safe enough that you can even let them go off on their own for a few hours and they will feel important and parent-liberated. They can even see some of the historical stuff they have been bored with in school. (If you do come to Boston, avoid Democratic National Convention time which is end of July). Coast to coast air fares are sometimes cheaper than destinations in between. Plenty to keep them occupied in Boston for several days (maybe family from mid-Atlantic states you mentioned could meet up with you here).

Then head off either north to Maine or south to Cape Cod for a few days at the beach.

Our kids are also great travelers, but as they age into teenagers they act less thrilled to be on vacation with us - but we often overhear them bragging to their friends about all the places they have been.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Tess
I have two teenage daugthers and a 91 year old mother. My husband and I thought we would also go on a Cruise (not my first choice if it were just us) but now people are telling me it is very hot in the summer. We could only go at that time.
Could you tell me what you decided on and why? We need to please everybody. THanks so much ML
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Heavens,you mentioned visiting friends in Delaware. Should you choose this option, Chincotaegue, Va. has much to offer families. When my son got too old to enjoy spending every moment with his seriously out-of-touch parents, we rented a cottage and then 2 hotel rooms. My son had his bike, and could get up and go as he wished in this small, lively town. Refuge with undeveloped beach, plentiful wildlife, including the famous Chincoteage ponies, mini-golf, carnival, ice-cream shops...very safe.

Rehoboth, as someone else mentioned, was also a good match for our family. More expensive, less nature.

We also took our son to Hawaii when he was 14. He liked it, but frankly, if we were to choose a family destination now,it would be Costa Rica. My husband and I are going in a few months, and keep thinking how our son would have loved all the exotic wildlife, whitewater rafting, volcanoes, etc.

I do know what you mean about teenagers overdosing on scenery! We found that arming our son with a camera and wheels {a bike}in areas with plentiful wildlife made a world of difference.We also tried to break up the trip with things that he would find exciting, like rafting in western Pa. - great fun!

For us, the trick to a peaceful, enjoyable vacation was providing as much freedom and mobility as possible. Of course, some areas, like DC, this simply wasn't possible! Not a problem though, as we combined this area with the aformentioned Chincoteague.

Whew! Traveling with teenagers certainly presents its challenges! Good luck and happy traveling!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Heavens: The suggestion to hit Boston is an excellent one. There is SO much to do in that town when you're a teen, and it is a wonderfully manageable size (you live here in SoCal, so you understand). They'll get a good taste of big-city living (taking a subway, walking places), you all can do family things as well as separate adventures (how about sending them off to Cambridge for an afternoon? Harvard Yard, cool bookstores, coffeehouses, etc.). Then a weekend on the Cape.... I think it would be ideal! And a LOT cooler than the desert/Inland Empire!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

I love Boston. But we dragged them through New England three years ago for two weeks for a family reunion. Didn't see enough of Boston. One of my favorite cities. We did see Salem and Concord. Fell in love with Concord.

I think we have decided that our best vacations have been when we go and visit people that we know. So, we are back on, for now, the mid Atlantic tour. Start in Philadelphia, drive to see friends in Northern part of Deleware (have new big house near Willingham? I think), Richmond VA to a friends house by the bay. With side trips to Gettysburg and Williamsburg. Sounds like it is not too much driving and lots to see. Friends, family, and history. Also might work in DC depending on how much time we have.

So, with that in mind, any ideas about beaches or fun spots for kids? Would maybe do Busch Gardens but we are not big on amusement parks. And probably the Jefferson house, the name of which is escaping me right now.

Thanks all for your input. Hawaii looked attractive but being that the resorts run 350 to 500 a day, not sure we want to do that expensive of a trip.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM

My kids love Hawaii. We are planning our third trip there. Favorite islands? Maui and the Big Island. We will visit Oahu also next summer as we haven't been there for a while. 2 out of 3 liked Kauai, one thought it was a little quiet. All prefer a hotel atmosphere vs. condos.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Heavens, you don't have to pay anywhere CLOSE to $350-$500 a day in Hawaii! You should be able to rent a very comfortable condo or a couple of hotel or bandb rooms for half that or under. For example, my family paid $50 per night 6 years ago for a large, one-bedroom condo on the Big Island with all amenities, including ocean-view, pool and kitchen facilities.Our son slept on a pull-out sofa in the living room, near the tv! Out of curiousity, I looked up recently what it would cost us today, and it would only cost $85, perhaps less, as weekly rates are often negotiable.A 2 bedroom shouldn't be THAT much more. If a resort is your preference, people on this site have described getting wonderful deals over the internet.Airfare was our biggest expense. once there, we didn't find restaurants any more expensive than on the mainland. We did have to grocery shop selectively. Transportation, airfare and car rental was our main expense.

If Hawaii is your dream, don't discount it because of the price of accommodations!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:39 AM

My two kids are 13 and 18 and, hands down, their favorite vacation is a Caribbean cruise. They've been on 3 and liked them even better than Disney World! There's always a ton of stuff to do on board--they don't have to be with Mom and Dad all the time--in fact, somedays the only time we saw our kids was at dinner! The summer cruises can have lots of families, so it's easy to meet other kids the same age. And at the ports they can go to great beaches and do fun stuff like snorkeling.

I also echo the Boston suggestion--I took my then-12-year-old son there two years ago and he had a blast. We were there only about 3 days, but we did the duck tour and went to the science museum, the Salem Witch museum, and down to Newport to tour the Breakers.

This summer we are strongly considering the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. You can rent a cabin that's a lot like a beach house and there's tons of stuff to do--rodeo shows, tacky tourist attractions like Ripley's Believe It or Not, horseback riding, white water rafting, hiking, panning for rubies, Indian reservations, Dollywood. I think it will be fun for them.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

DawnCt, What hotels in HI did you stay in? Maui and Oahu is where I would want to go.

The big resorts on Maui and Oahu are very expensive, seems to me. Especially if we would want two rooms. I think the kids would have much more fun at a resort with a big pool than in a condo. A condo would be much more comfortable for the four of us. But, on Maui, the Grand W, FS, and all of the nice ones run about 350. Maybe not in July/Aug.

Linda, is Gatlinburg in Tenn? Is this a big vacation destination? Haven't heard about it. In 05 we are going to Nashville for a convention. Might want to look into this area.

Thanks all.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Tess

Heavens,

A one or two night stop in Virginia Beach might break up the vacation and give you some family time away from others. It's pretty much a typical tourist beach town but that's what kids want! We stayed at a hotel on the beach and then went downtown at night. Street carnival atmosphere with people performing on the corners and sidestreets, tacky souvenir shops--the kids loved it!

Stoweflake--we decided on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas. It's a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise leaving the first part of June after school's out. Am sure it will be hot but it CAN'T be any hotter or more humid than other vacation destinations we've experienced in the past. We decided on a cruise since the kids have never been on one and went with this ship because it's huge and offers tons to do. One of our favorite family trips ever was to a Jamaica all-inclusive a few years ago so we thought the cruise might be a trip we'd all enjoy. The nice thing about cruises is that there's something for everyone, including your Mom, and you don't have to spend every minute together but can if you choose.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:05 PM

If you've never been, you might enjoy Harper's Ferry, west of Washington. I think it's about an hours drive. It's a picturesque town located at a bend in the Shenandoah River (isn't it?). There are shops and loads of history. This was where they found John Brown's body, the abolitionist. Some of the town is set up to engage you in historical reenactments. I believe there is also white water rafting there.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Also, Baltimore with its Inner Harbor. They have a rainforest built at the top of their Aquarium. I haven't been there in years but there's a lot going on there for tourists. Also there are water taxis that will take you across the harbor to Fells Point where you can browse the shops and eat crab cakes. Be sure to find the Lexington Market -- it's a century-old underground food market. Very interesting.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM

Another vote for Boston. Do Martha's Vineyard too. We have a teen and I must say next to the Hamptons its Martha's.

Many teens are all over the Island. The diversity from all angels is excellent. Your teens will make friends for life.

It's just not summer without the annual pilgrimage to Martha's for our teen and the friends that he has met over the years (On average 30 teens and their families coordinate their calendars).
One year we skipped but one of the families took our teen!

I think anywhere you decide will be memorable but my son just added that in all of his travels he has not met the friends for life like in the Vineyard.

The Hamptons are awesome for families with teens however, HEAVY, HEAVY partying is a major consideration that may keep you up allllll night...

Good Luck,
Oaktown Traveller

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -