Where to stay on Kauai??

Search

Where to stay on Kauai??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay on Kauai??

We are planning a trip in June to Kauai. We have two priorities we are trying to meet - cost and where the kids will be most entertained! We have it narrowed down to either the Marriott Resort or the Princeville. Our kids are too young for any kids programs, we have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old.
Or is there somewhere else we should consider that might be more kid friendly??? thanks
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Your kids will love the Marriott -- great pool, beautiful grounds (large pond stocked with lots of koi, wandering birds), and the fascination of watching ships/sailboats/windsurfers/surfers/barges passing in the bay right there.

Princeville is lovely, but it's not really as kid-friendly as the Marriott and the Hyatt (Po`ipu).
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Kal

But, if you're going in June, the scenery is a ton better in P'ville.

Otherwise agree w/ Auntie M.
Heck, we love sitting up at the Whaler watching the ships/sailboats etc coming and going.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Does the air traffic seem noisy at the Marriott? The reviews say it is 1 mile from the airport and you can sometimes hear the jets. However, I have also read that they are not that loud. Since we will be outside a bunch, pool and beach, I just want to be sure it is not really annoying. I am sure my 3 yr old son will love to watch the planes, though!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM

We stayed at the Kauai Marriott Beach Club last September. The pool is fantastic, the beach in front is good for kids, not too rough. While it is close to the airport we didn't notice any noise from the airplanes. Overall it was a great place to stay in a good location. We loved it!
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:07 PM

You may want to consider the other Marriott on Kauai, the Marriott Waiohai. We stayed in August and it was great. It was still under construction at the time but it was barely noticable. I would think by June they should be done. They have a cool wading pool on a little hill over the beach area, a grassy area surrounding it. The main pool also has a large shallow area. It is on Poipu beach which generally has very calm water. The rooms are very spacious, with two large bathrooms with washer and dryer, and great kitchens. There is a beach nearby that is perfect for kids, I have forgotten the name but I am sure you will find it on other posts. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:23 AM

My kids were the same ages last time we were in Kauai. We stayed at the Hyatt and we really enjoyed it but your kids are going to enjoy any size pool, any shallow beach, any rainbow so I would worry about where you think you as adults would be most comfortable. Be sure to take them to Lydgate Park and do it early in your stay because they will want to go back! Pack a picnic or munchies though. There is a nice shallow area perfect for little ones at the beach and across the parking lot the wooden play structure seems to never end! it is incredible. This is between Lihue and Kapaa, about half way if I recall correctly-a definte must do!