Where to stay on Big Island,Hi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to have help with either stayng in Kona or Hilo? We have points to stay at the Hilton, But I feel its too busy. We want to see the volcano, (would love to do the helicopter,don't know how $$$) Will be going in May, only for a couple days, then flying to Kauai. thanks for all your help!!(oh, we're flying into Kona). thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:44 AM
bonniebroad

Don't stay in Hilo unless you just LOVE gray, rainy weather! Between my sister and me, we've traveled through Hilo several times, and it's always been dismal weather. Having said that, there's gorgeous greenery, waterfalls, flowers on that side of the island that are a must-see. My favorite part of the island is the Kohala Coast (where the Hilton is.) We like the Marriott Waikoloa Beach there. But if you're going to only be there one or two nights, I'd stay at the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano Village, and I woul fly into Hilo, not Kona, as Hilo is only about a 45 min. drive from VNP. (From Kona, you have a much longer drive ....)

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:58 AM

What most people do is stay a couple of nights either in Hilo or in Volcano Village so they are close to VNP. Then, they spend the rest of their stay in Kona and do more sightseeing on that side of the island. If you only have a couple of days, consider one night in each spot.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:39 AM

The Prince is wonderful.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:17 AM

Stay at the Hilton. It may be busy, but if you are going to get out and do things like a helicopter ride or even a driving tour of the island that includes Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, you won't spend that much time at thr hotel anyway. Use your points. The money saved will almost pay for the helicopter rides.

The only way you can see live lava is by helicopter. Occasionally, a lava bench breaks and the lave is more viewable, but that doesn't happen often and you would be extremely lucky to have it coincide with the dates you will be there.

This has been a rainy winter, especially for Kauai and Oahu. But, by May, the rainy season is over. It may rain in May, but not near as much as the winter months.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Hello, has anyone stayed at the Yellow Ginger estate, aka Kahili Ginger Estate? I'd love to hear your comments or suggestions.
Mahalo!