Reload this Page >

Where to stay in the keys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 05:01 AM
linda from NJ

We are planning a trip to the keys and can't decide where to stay. We could stay at surrounding keys or key west. If you have stayed at any of the following places please comment: Pines and Palms, Checca Lodge,Cheseapeake Resort, Counch Key Cottages, Ocean Key Resort,Marquesa,Galleon,Hyatt Sunet Harbour Resort, Pier House.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:06 AM
J T Kirk

Cheeca Lodge is an institution in the Upper Keys. It's a very nice place, although I haven't stayed there in awhile. It may be getting a little "long-in-the-tooth". If I were to stay in Islamorda, I'd probably stay there. Conch Key is nice and quiet, away from hustle and bustle. You need to ask yourself if you want to stay in the Upper to Middle Keys, which offer some real peace of mind, or stay in Key West which is a fun, but sometimes loud and crazy, place. Pier House is another place that is an institution (in Key West). It's a fairly big place, and tends to cater to the younger crowd. they used to have a topless beach. a small beach, as are all beaches in the Keys. The Marquesa is small and lovely. They have lovely grounds, and a great restaurant. Of the places you mentioned, that's where I'd stay in Key West.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:20 AM
susan

I've stayed at the Cheeca Lodge and the Hyatt and Galleon in Key West. All three were great, though I've recently seen some unflattering reports about Cheeca Lodge. Both Sunset Harbour and the Galleon are timeshares...they're fully equipped condominiums. I prefer the Galleon because we always have a balcony overlooking the marina and enjoy watching the boats come and go. The Pier House and Hyatt are between the Ocean Key House and Galleon. The Ocean Key House is very popular, and though the outside and grounds aren't particularly great, the rooms apparently are. It's recently been renovated but I think it still has suites with kitchens. I have friends who stayed at the Pier House twice. The first time they loved it and the second time they hated it. The primary problem there seems to be that they have such a wide variety of accommodations it's difficult to get a good one. Lots - and perhaps most - of the rooms at the Pier House overlook a parking lot. The Marquesa has an absolutely wonderful reputation. Though I've never seen their rooms, I've eaten at the restaurant, which is great.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:28 AM
Jaime

Being a Floridian I have visited the Keys several times. For lots of things to do including restaurants and shops I would suggest Key West. I have personally stayed several times at the Pier House. It has a great location right on the water and is right near Duvall street. The rooms are also very nice. I think it's a good decision. Hope this helps!
Jaime

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 08:53 AM
Scott

We stayed at the Cheseapeak Resort in IslaMorada (sp?) and it was fabulous. But a bit pricey at $250 a night.

We also stayed at the Motel 6 in Key West and it was great! Rooms were fine,
and had a great ocean view. The pool faced the ocean and was decorated very nice. I highly recommend it.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 11:27 AM
SueT

Depends on which Key. I would suggest key west and one of the many guesthouses. Most are lovely and quaint.