Where to stay in Savannah?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main thing for us is that the room be as quiet as possible. Some years back we stayed in an elegant inn (don't remember which, but it was lovely), but did not enjoy our stay because of all the traffic noise from the street. We go to bed early and sometimes like to sleep in a little late. Are there any terrific places to stay in that city where we'd not hear much noise? Thanks!
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I have no idea of your budget, but if you want paradise stay at the Ballastone Inn. I don't recall any noise there either.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Do a Savannah search and a ton of info will come up for you.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Whatever you do, do not stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Historic District. This is a lovely-looking hotel and the rooms are very charming.
I thought I was in heaven. About 11 pm, some guests arrived, blared their music, fought, yelled, screamed,etc.
We, and other guests on our floor, called the front desk numerous times.
Nothing was done. One couple packed up and checked out. The next morning, my husband mentioned the situation to the concierge, and how dissappointed we were at the hotel--he didn't care.
We mentioned it to the front desk-didn't care.
I have since read other reviews that have stated such poor service at such a charming hotel. Too bad.
Wanted to warn.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Well, our last trip to Savannah, we did stay at that Courtyard. Everything was wonderful -- but admittedly we didn't really need any assistance from the staff for anything.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I called Ballastone and the fellow said that it would not be a quiet place-- said it was on a main street, not a small square, plus they were near police station and fire house. Said one hears sirens a lot. I appreciated the honesty. He suggested Foley House Inn, said it'd be more quiet-- but they require two nights on weekends. I asked about the Hampton Inn near the river (which Trip Advisor said might be quiet-- in back), but very helpful Ballistone man said no way-- that Hampton was on a highway and that one would hear trucks even in back.
Any other ideas? Please? Much appreciated!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:09 AM

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in the historic district a couple of years ago, and I don't remember any noise. It was actually very quiet.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM

"Highway" is a complete mischaracterization of Bay Street, on which the Hampton Inn Historic District sits. No doubt, some local trucks may use Bay street, but it's in no way a highway. I think the speed limit is 25.

Perhaps he was thinking of the confusingly (and misleadingly) named Hampton Inn & Suites Savannah Historic District on MLK, which could be considered a highway as it's a main access road to I-16.

Reconsider the Hampton Inn on Bay Street.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I stay in the Hampton Inn on Bay all the time. There is traffic on bay, including large trucks while they were doing construction. I never experienced problems with noise at the Hampton Inn. It's a new construction built to look old. You are going to have more sound problems with old inns with thinner walls.

A good option for a small inn in a quiet location is the Elizabeth Thompson House.

www.elizabeththompsonhouse.com

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Funny, I'm pretty noise sensitive and never heard a peep all night at the Ballastone. Maybe that's why they leave the brandy for you on the nightstand -- to knock you out so you won't hear the noise?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 01:32 PM

My husband and I went to Savannah in June, and we LOVED the Kehoe House. It's in a very quiet neighborhood, not around all the activity, but is still in an excellent location. We walked almost everywhere. The inn is beautiful, the service was great, the bed was like a big marshmallow, and it's definitely quiet. It's also a location on a couple of evening ghost tours, so it's kind of neat to see the tour groups outside. (Don't worry, they're not a disturbance at all.)
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:10 PM

I have no problem with the noise at Savannah hotels. Does anyone know a hotel there where the papermill stink is not too bad?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Cole, are you sure you are remembering Savannah? The only papermill problems I remember on the coast were closer to Jax and sometimes Brunswick. I've never had a whiff of a problem in and around Savannah.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM
OO

You just need to be there on the weekend, Sunday morning especially. Union Camp would let out it's big poot for the week Sunday morning about 11. We laughed about it, but in the back of our minds, we wondered what all it might be doing to us!

That wasn't the only day of the week, but Sunday was normally a sure fire thing.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM

We were at the Hampton Inn a few weeks ago on MLK Blvd and it was very quiet (and a very pleasant experience.) Staff is unusually friendly and helpful, and I think the property is new.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:04 AM

We have stayed at Hampton Inn Historic Distric (the one on Bay St) many times. Once I had a lower level room in the front on a Saturday night and heard a little noise. They are doing construction across the street now (building a Holiday Inn Express) but when I stayed there in September it was not an issue - rooms do not face that way anyway.

Regarding noise, the room doors close quietly - I hate it when every time someone closes a door it slams in some hotel. Room-to-room noise thru walls has never been an issue. I do not even hear housekeeping staff in AM.

While it is certainly a hotel, not an inn, we love this place. Comp. breakfast in AM is even decent.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I don't consider Savannah a noisey city. Mostly we stay at the Hampton Inn Historic District. For some reason we never get a room on Bay St, which may be noiser. We always get a room looking at the FBI office, which is a southern room I suppose. Maybe the rooms we always get are the "aarp" rooms.

The first time we visited Savannah we arrived in the Historic District by taxi late at night. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, "what the &%$# is that smell!"

The taxi driver told us that is from the mill. The smell does not seem to last too long. It must have something to do with the big poot and a complicated wind formula.

Anyway, I still love going to Savannah regardless of the poot, or whatever.

To get back to the point, probably a hotel or room that does not face a major street is the way to go if noise bothers you.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM

We just returned from Savannah and an unforgettable stay at the Ballastone. I must agree with NeoPatrick that I don't remember any noise. Poss, you must have talked to Dwayne, who is a gem, and that conversation will give you some idea of the kind of service you can expect at the Ballastone.

If noise were a problem for me (it isn't) I'd wear earplugs and earmuffs just to stay at the incredible Ballastone!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM

This may be really out on a limb, but they are so willing to please that if someone calls and makes a big deal about not wanting any noise, they'd be afraid that any little thing would disturb them and make them unhappy. I suspect that's why he suggested somewhere else. They don't want anyone to be unhappy. It is not a noisy place, but they can't guarantee that if you hear a siren a couple blocks away that you might be an unhappy customer.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much, everyone. Your continued praise for Ballastone encouraged me to call and make reservations. Alas, they've got no king-bed rooms available for the night we'll be there. We'll be back that way again in early April, so I'll call well ahead and reserve a room at the back of the inn-- and cross my fingers. It does sound like a very fine place indeed.
In fact, Hampton Inn has no king non-smoking available for Oct 28th either. I guess we'll stop in Hilton Head instead and stay at Sea Pines; it's pleasant. Maybe for us old geezers who don't especialy like "action," Halloween weekend isn't the best for us to be in a place like Savannah; I imagine it'll be even more "happening" than usual, with all their ghost tours, etc. Not our cup of tea.
Thanks again for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -