Where to stay in San Diego

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in San Diego

We are thinking of going to San Diego during Christmas week. We are four people, husband, self and two sons in their twenties (yes, they still like to vacation with us, as long as we pay the bills). We live in Florida so the beach has no great interest to us. Where should we stay? Downtown? We will probably rent a car if needed. It seems like hotels are pretty reasonable that week so a nicer place would be possible. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM

I recently spent a week at the Hotel Solamar and loved it. I walked everywhere downtown and to the ferry over to Coronado. Great hotel, excellent in house restaurant and the rooftop bar/lounge is fantastic. Have fun, it is a great town.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Downtown is probably the best place to stay for a visitor (tourist). The gaslamp district has been greatly renovated and is a growing "scene".

I still think you should at least visit the Del Coronado hotel.

My wife was born and raised there. Nothing like a Ramos fizz on New Year's day when it's 75 degrees out.

There are tons of places to visit. No visit is complete without going to the San Diego Zoo. The place is huge. Check out the newborn Panda there.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM

I would definitely go over to the Hotel Del Coronado. Around Christmas they have a beautiful Xmas tree in the lobby. It is such a beautiful hotel and really nice to maybe have a drink in the bar area and take a walk along the beach afterward.

rastaguytoday, I was raised in Coronado too. I wonder if I knew your wife? My younger sister was born in Coronado at the NASNI base.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Yes, there is the SD Zoo (in Balboa Park near downtown) and the Wild Animal Park near Escondido.

Downtown there is the Gaslamp Qtr which has a lot of great restaurants and shops. Also Downtown along the Embarcadero are many of the Harbor Cruise boats, the USS Midway (open to the public) and the Star of India, you can catch a day boat over to Coronado.

Also you can visit the Point Loma Lighthouse, Old Town, visit beautiful La Jolla.

There will be a lot to keep you busy.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 05:43 PM

I would suggest staying in the Gaslamp area. It's conveniently located and has lots of places to eat and there's lots of entertainment there as well. There are several Marriott properties there, the Omni is really nice and several others. We got a great deal at the Omni several years ago, arriving on Christmas day and leaving Jan 2.

http://www.gaslamp.org/
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your great suggestions!
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Downtown/the Gaslamp is fun - but busy - and hey - I would rather stay by the Ocean and visit downtown.

You can buy two day tickets for the Zoo and Safari Park - which gives a bit of a discount - and also - there are some great museums in Balboa Park - http://www.balboapark.org/in-the-park/museums as well as a nice Rose Garden that we volunteers try to keep up to snuff.

Coronado and the venerable Hotel Del are also worth a trip - and if you want a mountain alternative - get up to Julian and have some Apple Pie and maybe explore an old silver mine. http://www.sandiego.org/articles/eas...ty/julian.aspx

Also - you would probably enjoy the views from Cabrillo Point/Pt. Loma - and they have some neat galleries out there too, as well as a National Cemetery for our Vets. http://tinyurl.com/cmz7fjg
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM

Oh - and as Nana suggested: Visit Old Town and our favorite Mexican restaurant there is Casa Guadalajara: http://www.casaguadalajara.com/

And the first Mission established in California is just above Old Town, and there is also a neat Morman's Brigade Museum - and very cute Victorian B & B;s in the nearby Heritage Park. http://www.heritageparkinn.com/
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM

Also - don't forget Little Italy - which is fun to walk around (Farmer's markets on Sat Am) - and has some good Italian places to dine, or other places for a glass of vino, or grab a Gelato.

http://www.littleitalysd.com/dine/re...s-rub-lounges/ and http://www.littleitalysd.com/events/
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read ALL the reviews about the Hotel Del BEFORE you think about booking there. It is a great location if you want to be out on the beach; without a car, for some, it would seem inconvenient.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM

"We live in Florida so the beach has no great interest to us. "

THAT is why I suggested Gaslamp, it is really lively and fun.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Yes, I read that and IMO - there are prettier views of the Pacific than what you find in Florida looking at the Atlantic.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 04:08 PM

When we go, we like to stay at the La Jolla Beach Hotel, right on the ocean, great restaurant, and nice owners. A small community of cute shops and good eating places, and the city of SD is just minutes away, and you can take the trolley.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM

What justwishin reminded me of is that in California - we have some hotels which are elevated above the ocean - which makes for a better view (at least IMO)- whereas in Florida - most accommodations are the same level as the beach.

Also - we get the sunsets in California.

Be sure to take the drive out to Cabrillo Point/above Pt. Loma - for an incredible view.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:12 AM

justwishin says the trolley runs to La Jolla. Where can I find out more about that, I don't see any information on the route map for the transit system? http://www.sdmts.com/trolley/trolley.asp
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:36 AM

I am not aware of a trolley running to La Jolla. The main trolley lines go from downtown(by the Gaslamp)- to the border - and the other way - past Little Italy to Old Town - and then inland to El Cajon.

Think you are really better off renting a car - and driving time from downtown to La Jolla is only about 15 minutes - if you don't try it during rush hour. It's also very pretty to drive along the coast - from Sea World/Pacific Beach up to La Jolla - and it's also pretty to drive from there up to Del Mar - along beautiful Torrey Pines beach, etc.

You can also get over to Coronado from downtown in about 10 minutes - again - not during rush hour commutes.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 04:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you decide to stay in the Gaslamp district, I have stayed at the Omni a few times and thought it was very nice with a good location. It is also attached to Petco Park, where the Padres play (but since you are going in December, obviously catching a baseball game would not be an option). I would definitely recommend a car. Everyone here already gave you good suggestions - La Jolla, Coronado Island, Old Town, Embarcadero, Balboa Park/Zoo. Having a car would make getting to many of these places much more easy.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

We are considering the US Grant hotel. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old Nov 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM

I have stayed at the US Grant. With not much to go on regarding what you want to know I can just say I thought the rooms were nice sized, seemed roomier than they really are due to higher than usual ceilings. The bathroom was fine, better than some

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -