Where to stay in New Mexico?

Aug 14th, 2001, 08:36 PM
MA

Where to stay in New Mexico?

My son and his roommate are driving from Los Angeles to San Antonio, TX where they will be attending college. This is the first time they'll be driving such a long distance. They're thinking of stopping midway in New Mexico overnight. Las Cruces is the only city on Hwy 10 that I recognize. Does anyone know of any places to stay there (less than $100 per night)? Or is there someplace better? Any advice on how to break up the drive? Thanks.

Aug 15th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Linda

They should have no problems finding a place to stay. Lordsburg is about 9.5 hours from LA, barring delays. It's a "truck stop" town, so there are quite a few motels. One, Days Inn, at Exit 20, costs about $65 a night for a double.
Deming is about 60 miles further. If they have the energy to drive that far, the Best Western Chilton is $51-$55 for a double. Deming also has a number of other motels. I'd recommend either of these towns. Though not high on touristic appeal, they are good overnight stops. And there are a number of places they can get a good hearty meal inexpensively. As I said, the truckers stop there.

Aug 15th, 2001, 09:25 PM
MA

Thanks, Linda, for your help. As I've never driven that distance myself, I'm wondering if two days is reasonable. My son is actually driving from San Francisco and picking up his roommate in Los Angeles, so that's about 1700 miles of driving altogether. I know I'm being a neurotic mom, but should I advise them to switch driving every hour or two? Fortunately, they'll have a cell phone -- otherwise I'd be a wreck!

Aug 16th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Ms. Ghost

Have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Las Cruces a couple of times, and it was very nice as well as inexpensive. Another advantage is that it's a close drive from there to an interesting small town (Mesilla I believe is the name) with an historic central plaza and some good, atmospheric restaurants--only a 5 min drive as I recall.

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Linda

MA, of course it CAN be done. 1700 miles in 2 days comes to 850 miles per day. At an average of 50 mph (which allows for bathroom/gas/meal breaks) that's only 17 hours a day! Now, as a mother of older sons, would I let them do it? H-E-double hocky sticks NO! IMHO that is far too many hours to be driving in a day. Even riding as a passsenger is exhausting. Three days would be MUCH better. I'd do everything in my power to dissuade them from making this a 2-day trip. (I know, you really have no control over the situation--if they're old enough to drive this distance, they're old enough to do exactly what they want to do. But try anyway.) Many, many folks will tell you how they drove 30 hours straight through. But you can't hear from the ones who tried it and were killed in an accident caused by their exhaustion. Even with two drivers, I'd try to get them to limit their trip to 12 hours each day, switching off every two hours.

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:47 AM
MA

I was looking on a map for Mesilla and I saw Stein's Ghost Town and Shakespeare's Ghost Town just east of Las Cruces. Do you know anything about them, Ms Ghost?

Linda, I think I was a bit unclear. My son is driving to Southern California and staying overnight as his roommate's house before embarking on their two-day journey. Thanks for the advice, though. I feel justified in feeling nervous about the whole thing. By the way, I loved the "H-E-double hockey sticks NO" line. I'm including that in my repertoire.

Aug 16th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Sherri

Please consider staying in Circle A Ranch hostel
($12) in Cuba, NM
It is an old New Mexican ranch
that is awesome! You can give them
a call at the convenience/gas station
at the edge of town and they will provide directions. Their phone # is 505.289.3350.

Aug 16th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Ms. Ghost

MA, The best way I can describe Mesilla is to think of it as a tiny, tiny slice of Santa Fe before people with a lot of income came in with exclusive galleries. It is very old, built around a small plaza (much smaller than SF) but has some interesting old architecture, cute shops and restaurants. We have been to the Double Eagle there which is a totally unexpected, ornate French dining room complete with a grand old bar in the adjoining room. They also have a much more casual covered patio dining area next to the ornate room. We enjoyed it, as much for the decor as anything else. There is also a (supposedly) good Mexican restaurant on one corner of the plaza--can't miss it as there are lots of parrots and greenery in the part you first walk into, but the name escapes me. Mesilla is an interesting diversion on a long, cross-country trip. Sorry but I don't know anything about Stein's Ghost Town.

Aug 16th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Peggy

I've never been to Los Cruces, but have traveled thru New Mexico every year. Please remind them to refuel long before they are low on gas. There can be many miles of lonely highway. This is also very true of west Texas. We always take plenty of water and keep close to a full tank of gas. We had car trouble in central Texas at 4 in the afternoon. 110 degrees & over an hour before a tow truck came. This was only 3 miles outside of a town.

Aug 16th, 2001, 10:22 PM
MA

Sherri and Ms. Ghost, thanks for your tips. You're making me want to tag along with the boys (which I know will not be well received).

Peggy, I am completely inexperienced in long distance driving, so excuse me for asking: Are you saying the boys should take along a spare tank of gas with them? That seems to make sense but is it safe?

Aug 16th, 2001, 10:27 PM
Linda

I know, I'm not Peggy, but will you allow me to respond to your question? A gas can is not necessary, especially if they ae sticking to I-10 from LA to San Antonio. What they need to do is be aware of how far it is to the next town and keep an eye on their gas gauge. Towns are close enough together that they shouldn't run out of gas, but if they hit Town X and have 1/4 tank of gas they should know whether that 1/4 tank will ge them to the next town. If there's any ? in their mind, they should fill up then.

Aug 17th, 2001, 11:15 AM
MA

Thanks for the info, Linda. I know that the boys need to be in San Antonio by early Sunday night, so they won't be going off Hwy 10. Since I think they're both a little nervous about the drive, I'm sure they won't forget to pay attention to the gas tank.

Aug 17th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Linda

I forgot to mention in my above post. If they fill up in Tucson, it's only about 160 miles to Lordsburg; almost any car ought to be able to go that far on a tank of gas, usually MUCH further. It is then another 150 to El Paso--again, well under a tank of gas. I'll be praying for your boys and hoping you won't worry too much.

Aug 18th, 2001, 06:07 PM
judith

dear sweet mom: please don't worry about the guys. let them spread their wings. the gas information is very true. i usually keep my honda wagon tank 1/2 full. i have been poking around az, nm and this year utah every fall for 4 years on unfamiliar roads and i'm 69! their route is well-traveled and they will have no trouble.

Aug 20th, 2001, 09:22 PM
MA

Thanks for your all your help and good thoughts, everyone! The boys are off this weekend. I've talked to my son about being very aware of the gas tank. Other than that, I don't know if I can do anything else but to take your advice and try not to worry so much (but of course I will anyway)...

Aug 20th, 2001, 11:21 PM
George

I have travelled this route enough times. First, I would NOT stay again in the Holiday Inn in Las Cruces; I stayed there on the recommendation of the "New Mexico Handbook" (Moon Publications) and was so unimpressed with everything that I wrote to the author! There is a lovely Hilton hotel in Las Cruces,across from the large shopping center; the rates are very good. If your son can stand travelling another hour (or less), he can be in El Paso, where there is no shortage of cheap hotel rooms.