Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in/near San Diego in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to San Diego the end of June, have twin 7 year olds. Legoland is a must, as is the zoo. Any suggestions of where to stay? We'll be there one week. I've never been...thanks.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:01 AM

What is your budget?

I would recommend Shelter Island as hotels there tend to be on the cheaper side and still very nice. Alternatively, look out on Coronado or La Jolla. They may be more expensive but are in great locations
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:48 AM

Homewood Suites (by Hilton) is a great place for families. They provide privacy for parents, a small kitchen, excellent hot breakfast, and substantial snacks Monday-Friday.

We stayed at the one located at 11025 Vista Sorrento Parkway, which has a pool.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

The budget is "moderate" I guess - am just beginning to research airfare, etc. Obviously we'll have some driving to do to get to Legoland; but other than that, is there an area that is fairly central to most of the kid-friendly places? Everything seems so spread out to me.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Without knowing your budget, and hotels in San Diego tend to be expensive, the Homewood Suites suggested by htty would be a good location for you. It's in the north part of the city so it's closer to Legoland,but it's not a long drive tot he Zoo. It's also very close to Torrey Pines State Beach and the Reserve. Del Mar (which it has in its name) is also right there, with restaurants and more beach. In the other direction, south, there are many restaurants along Mira Mesa Blvd and La Jolla Village Drive. There's a shopping mall there too, University Towne Center. Quite close, in Carmel Valley, there's a Pat & Oscar's restaurant which is popular with children.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM

Actually, SD is pretty small, so it doesn't take too long to get around. I'd recommend staying at the Del on Coronado if it's within your budget. It is so incredibly beautiful there--you're right on the beach in an unbelievable setting.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:47 AM

If cz's budget is moderate, I don't think she will be staying at The Del. There are some other cheaper hotels on Coronado but in summer nothing is moderate.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:20 PM

If you are going to be there Sat. to Sat., then you might look at renting an apt. Consider also as far north as Oceanside. While things can be spread out, they don't take that long to get to.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:40 PM

bigtyke-Insterstate 5 can be a nightmare anytime but especially during the summer. I know as I live in North County and drive it all the time. I would absolutely say to stay in the San Diego area. That way the only time you'd deal with traffic would be the trip to Legoland and you'd actually be going against the traffic flow.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM

With kids you will want room to let them roam. As you probably know Legoland and the Zoo are not exactly close to each other.

However, travel outside of the commute hours around SD is pretty easy and quick.

If price is a consideration then I would stay north and east along the I-15.

We recently stayed at the Double Tree Golf Resort and loved the rooms and grounds. We had a two story room with a loft upstairs that might work for you.

If you need more room and want a full kitchen I would look at the Residence Inn La Jolla. Lots of room and close to I-5.

If the price is right also look at the Best Western Suites on Coronado Island. Very walkable to a small park and the ferry over to downtown SD.

No matter where you stay you will end up driving to Legoland and the Zoo.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM

New this year in San Diego is Homewood Suites and Courtyard by Marriott at Point Loma old NAvy Training Bsse. 5 minutes from the airport and central to all.

However you were given very good advice by another poster to look at hotels on Shelter IS. It is a nice safe area more like a park with a very small beach on the bay across from BAy Club hotel, a great grassy picnic & walk path and kids play ground. There is a Best Western, Bay Club, Humphreys and my favorite Kona Kai Hotel at the end...looking out the busy bay with big Navy ships, cruise ships helicopters etc toward the ocean and great sunsets of San Diego city.
Taking the land & sea SEAL tour would be fun, park drive and part boat trip
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everything so far! Have started getting more serious about our itinerary.