Where to stay in Florida

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 08:45 AM
Harald

Where to stay in Florida

I want to take my wife with me, for a 14 day's stay in Florida in the beginning of october.Should I go to the east or west side of Florida?(Tempature, weather, sun,etc.)I will also be thankful for information about rent a car,places to stay and "the undiscovered" Florida.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 10:04 AM
Betty Ann

Hi Harald - You've chosen a good time of year to come to Florida, after all the families have gone back north for school and before the snowbirds will be here for the winter. I have lived in Naples, FL for over 20 years, coming from Toronto, so I'm naturally more in favor of the west coast.

Starting in the north - the beaches in the Panhandle area of FL (Destin, Panama City, etc) are always rated in the top 10 for the USA, not just FL. The town of Seaside is unique. The movie "The Truman Show" was filmed there.

Central FL (Ocala)is horse country. Many big, beautiful horse farms. Last year's Kentucky Derby winner is from this area. It's about the only place in FL you'll find hills. (At least to us they're hills!)

West Coast Central - Tampa has a very interesting area called Ybor City. Used to be a cigar making town - great Cuban food, lots of history.

South West Coast - Naples is a small town (although growing rapidly) right on the beach. One of the best things about Naples beach (all seven miles of it) is that it's accessible to everyone. Most beaches on the east coast are private property. Naples is quiet, laid back, not much night life but the people are very friendly, we have lots of good restaurants (I won't give you the name of the ABSOLUTE best seafood restaurant here - it's busy enough now with just local people) and in Oct you'll have many choices of hotels from the Ritz Carlton to Mom & Pops, whichever suits your budget.

Weather in early Oct should be in the high 80's with only an occasional afternoon shower (about an hour), the rain doesn't usually disrupt anyone's plans.

This has been just a bit of info on FL - I'm sure you'll hear from many other people about their favorite places.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions if you want to email me.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 02:41 PM
Joanne

We like Captiva Island on the west coast near Ft. Myers. Tween Waters Inn is between the gulf and the bay with a large pool, tennis courts, and boating. South Seas Plantation has all that and more, but is more expensive.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 04:20 PM
Carol

If you're looking for beaches, those on the
Gulf side are best: soft & white.
For interesting people, culture and
non-theme-park happenings, do "come on down" to the
Miami area. There's beautiful scenery; tourist
attractions like Seaquarium, Parrot Jungle,
Metrozoo, Flamingo Gardens, Vizcaya ...; nightclubs
in profusion; all kinds of shopping; all kinds of
food; 2 national parks; pro sports; concerts;
international festivals ... It's no more dangerous
than any area of 3,000,000 people. I'll be happy to
give further tips if you're interested!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 10:32 AM
Jan Atkinson

You might try Amelia Island in North Florida on the Atlantic coast. There are beautiful white sand beaches there as well and it's definitely not a busy place. We vacation there every year for a couple of weeks in a house right on the beach. There is fishing, horseback riding, sunset boat cruises, great restaurants, shark teeth hunting, golfing and tennis. Watching the sunrise on the ocean and the dolphins swimming around is wonderful! There are also right whales that calf in the fall only in that area! The URL for the house we stay in is: www.amelia-era.com/rent19.htm. Enjoy!

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 12:20 AM
Melinda

West Coast...Sanibel and Captiva Islands. Mc T's, and the Bubble Room to eat. No high rises. ANy motel / hotel is fine there as the beaches are so nice and there are some nice not touristy shops. Good time of year to visit, not crowded and very warm. I lived there 22 years and go back twice a year. Disney is fun even if you just walk thru the resorts. The keys are nice but a haul if your driving. I would fly into Tampa and stay a night in St. Pete at the Don Cesaer and walk up to Pass-a-grille beach and have lunch at the Hurricane and the next day take the 2 hour drive down the coast stopping in St. Armounds Key and then into Sanibel. Skip Marco Island. Too built up.