Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Austin?

Search

Where to stay in Austin?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Spence

Where to stay in Austin?

My fiance and I are going to Austin for Memorial Day. Looking at staying at the San Jose or Austin Motel. If anyone has pros and cons, they would be greatly appreciated! Along with any other ideas/ suggestions of where to stay, dine, visit, etc. Thanks for your help!

Old May 15th, 2001, 08:14 AM
Rebecca

We were in Austin for a couple of days in April and had a great time. We went to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center and enjoyed it very much. Much to our surprise, while we were in the cafe, Ladybird herself was wheeled in accompanied by some Secret Service and other people. It was so great to see her! But I digress. We ate at El Sol y la Luna, a Mexican restaurant located at the Austin Motel and it was very good. I didn't see any rooms at the motel, but it looked well-kept outside and I think I would stay there. Also drove by the San Jose and it looked nice from the outside, but pictures I've seen of the inside look kind of stark. We stayed at the Brava House B&B and enjoyed it very much--clean and a great continental breakfast out in the hall where you helped yourself. Paid $100 a night. They have a website. Be sure to tour the Capitol and the LBJ Library. There is a new museum too--the Texas History Museum. We went to see the bats at the Congress Street bridge, but they never came out after we waited an hour. Maybe you'll have better luck. Have fun!

Old May 15th, 2001, 09:30 AM
jhm

I stayed in the Austin Motel last August and thought it was fine -- not fabulous, not quite as "delightfully quirky" as I had been led to believe, but fine and functional and price-friendly. It was also in a very good location on Congress just down the street from the bridge w/the bats/downtown.

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:16 PM
steve

The Hotel San Jose is an old "motor court" which has been completely renovated. The rooms have a somewhat stark, contemporary feel but are(ours at least) quite spacious. The grounds have lovely landscaping and there is a small pool.

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:03 PM
L

Spence,

El Sol y La Luna is great Mexican food, but it's not really at the Austin Motel. It is down the street though (on S. Congress), and you should have no problems finding it.

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:11 PM
texasgirl

I like both san jose and austin motel; austin motel has a great pool, the san jose has nicer rooms, in a kind of boutiquey-hotel way. there is a little coffee house between them with good pastries and coffee drinks for bfast. oh, and if el sol y la luna isn't actually in the austin motel, it's sure close - next door anyway. Um, I also like Guero's Taco Bar, a couple blocks down from the two hotels. There is supposedly an Italian restaurant _ name escapes me, starts with a V _ that has gotten great reviews, also in the neighborhood. Check out who's playing at the Continental Club across the street. Have breakfast at Las Manitas, shop for imported folk art at Tesoro right next door, and then go hang out at barton springs. have fun!

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:06 PM
LE

The restaurant Texasgirl is probably thinking of is Vespaio. Good food, kind of pricey, but not outrageous.