Where to Stay in Atlanta

Search

Where to Stay in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Stay in Atlanta

My husband will be going to a conference in Atlanta, Georgia at the Georgia World Congress Center in June. I know nothing about Atlanta, but look forward to going along. I am not able to walk long distances easily, so would like to be centrally located to restaurants, coffe shops, shopping and some interesting attractions. Here's the list of hotels the conference lists. Sorry for the length, but again, I know nothing about what a good location would be. There will be a shuttle to the conference, so that isn't an issue.

AMERISUITES DOWNTOWN
ATLANTA MARRIOTT DOWNTOWN
ATLANTA MARRIOTT MARQUIS
BAYMONT INN & SUITES
DAYS INN ATLANTA DOWNTOWN
EMBASSY SUITES CENTENNIAL OLYMPIC PARK, HAMPTON INN & SUITES
HILTON ATLANTA 255 COURTLAND ST
HOLIDAY INN-WORLD CONGRESS CTR,
HYATT REGENCY ATLANTA 265 PEACHTREE ST NE, OMNI HOTEL AT CNN CENTER
RENAISSANCE ATLANTA DOWNTOWN
RITZ CARLTON ATLANTA
SHERATON ATLANTA HOTEL 165 COURTLAND ST, THE GLENN HOTEL
WESTIN PEACHTREE PLAZA,
WYNDHAM GARDEN ATLANTA DOWNTOWN
Thanks for any help!

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM
iceeu2

travel52, from this list for a conference at the Congress Center, you would want .....Marriott Marquis, Hilton, Hyatt, Ritz Carlton or Westin..

or at least, that's what I would pick....probably the Westin is the most convenient...

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM

The Marquis, Hilton and Hyatt are connected by skywalks to the Peachtree center shops and food court. Not great shopping, but good options of places to eat.

The Hampton Inn and what WAS the Wyndham are decent locations regarding the conference - but would require walking outside to get to anything. I like both. (Can't remember what the Wyndam is now but I really like the hotel and the Hampton is across the street).

In June, I'd probably opt for the Embassy Suites at Centennial Park. Great location - and near the new aquarium. The Omni is nearby, and adjacent to area with some shops and restaurants.

I wouldn't stay at the others - except the Ritz of course.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Again, getting to the conference isn't an issue, as shuttles will be running from all of these hotels. So, what I'm looking for is the best location otherwise.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:35 AM

That's how I based my responses. I answered NOT in convenience to the conference center, but to your wishes for restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 10:18 AM

The Westin is great. We stayed there in August and the beds are soooooo comfy. Plus, their shuttle will take you anywhere within a two mile radius.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
iceeu2

Even tho getting to the conference isn't the issue, I still say

Marriott Marquis
Hilton
Hyatt
Ritz Carlton
Peachtree Plaza

I'm with starrsville on not staying at the others.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the help~
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM

My husband just came back from the Renaissance Atlanta.
HE is not a fussy guy..but he said it was one of teh all time worst hotels...
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:04 PM

forgot to mention: if you like tours I thought the Tour of CNN was great..esp how they do the weather...

also the tour of Coca Cola...
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 02:47 PM

I love the Westin and the Sundial Restaurant at the top. Have fun!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM

I have stayed at the Hyatt and got it w/ Priceline for about $45 a night. It was really nice and in a great area. Check www.biddingfortravel.com
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Once you get to the Congress center, you may have to walk a mile to your venue. I am NOT exaggerating! We stayed at both the Westin and the Marriott Marquis this summer for events there. Overall, I liked the Westin better and it was closer. Now that Marriott is smoke free, it may be nicer. However, there are not a lot of restaurant or shopping choices in the area. We found a food court in the TNN center for snacks, but had to really search for restaurants. If you stay there, expect to take cabs!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 03:01 AM

I believe all Westins are now smoke free.

There are quite a few good restaurants in the vicinity, including Dailey's on International and Peasant on P'tree,
and McCormick and Schmick in CNN Center, no more than short cab rides. P'tree Center, proximate to Ritz, Marquis, Westin, Hilton, has large number of food court restaurants and couple good restaurants, including Morton's. Go to Sundial atop Westin for drinks and view, but dine elsewhere.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Okay. Let's see if this helps. The Westin is at the corner of Peachtree and International. The Hampton and the former Wynhham are outside the "back door" of the Westin. Across the street from the Westin (catty corner) is the Peachtree Center. It's an office complex with a food court in it and a couple of other restaurant options. Connected to the center by sky bridges are the Marriott Marquis, the Hilton and the Hyatt. So, all of those are virtually within a block of the same restaurant options and will be equally "centreally located to restaurants, coffee shops, etc".

In June, a good location would be the Embassy Suites and the Omni. They are adjacent to Centennial Park and the new aquarium. The shops and restaurants at CNN Center are within a block (or adjacent). I prefer the Embassy Suites to the Omni - but both are good.

From the list given, those are the ones I choose - except for the Ritz of course.

The shuttle to the conference is a plus, although you can still walk to the conference center from any of the above without problems.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I took the MARTA to Buckhead for some nice shopping last year from the Marriott Marquis. I think I had to take the walkway to peachtree center to get the train.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:00 AM

Good idea, Lily. The best shopping in the SE is available via MARTA at Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza. And, you catch the MARTA train right there at Peachtree Center.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I'm back again and still trying to decide on a hotel. Great info Starrsville....when you said "From the list given, those are the ones I choose - except for the Ritz of course." did you mean the Ritz was a good choice or bad choice. My husband's school has a limit of $135 on what we're allowed on a hotel, so we are trying to stay as close to that as possible. The Ritz is listed as a little less expensive than the Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 02:58 PM

Heck, I'd stay at the Ritz any chance I'd get. I'm surprised that the Ritz is less than the H or H. It's a tad less convenient for walking to the GWCC - but not enough to matter. Do the rest if you can do it within the budget. Again, I'm surprised you can. Go for it.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 01:08 PM

I would not recommend Embassy Suites at Centenniel Park. We just got back from a week-long vacation there and it was terrible. A freight train roars right next to the hotel (and blows its horn continuously) every night...after 1 am and in the wee morning hours. Breakfast is horrible...they run out of things as simple as coffee cups, juice cups, cereal, etc. Pool is not heated, (but in June that may be a good thing.) I would recommend the Westin or Marriot...we ate there and the area near those hotels is more interesting, but close to the Georgia Aquarium (spectacular), CNN tours, etc. The Embassy suites doesn't have a coffee shop (Westin has a starbucks and restaurant on the 73rd floor), but Embassy does have a good deli around the corner (closes at 8 pm). The conceirge desk was basically non-exitent, too. Very disappointed as we have stayed at Embassys before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -