Search

where to stay between PA and Ocean City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM
gbs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to stay between PA and Ocean City

We will be taking daughter back to school in Philadelphia and then heading to Ocean City for a week. But we have about 3 or 4 days in between reservations. Any suggestions on another interesting place to visit for that time? We are from the west coast, so haven't seen much in that area. Not interested in Pocono area - done that. Thanks
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM
gbs
Original Poster

btw, its Ocean City Maryland, not NJ where we will be heading. Thanks for any input
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Several possibilities.

You could head north to the New Hope area -- quaint town, lots of shops and restaurants, site where Washington crossed the Delaware and anchorwoman Jessica Savage drowned (how's that for diversity?).

South to the Chadds Ford area -- Longwood Gardens, Chadds Ford Winery, Brandywine Revolutionary War Battlefield. Then maybe to Lewes, DE, on your way to OC. It's a small town on the water that's culturally the opposite of OC -- very quiet, picturesque. Have dinner at La Rose Negra.

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:52 AM

How about Annapolis, Inner Harbor Baltimore or DC?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Here's another vote for Lewes. Its ambiance and charm remain undiminished over the 30 years we've been going there. It remains the jewel of Delmarva.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
LN

Everything sounds wonderful - but if I was coming from Philadelphia to Ocean City Md I would probably stop a few times on eastern shore Maryland. St Michaels, Oxford, Easton, Cambridge, and Salisbury are all neat litle towns with great histories.

Oh, and of course, please stop at Annapolis - it is a true gem!!

If you'd like to know any history on any of thewse, please - I'd be happy to accommodate.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:12 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Yes, LN, tell me what you know about these places. And thanks for the tips, everyone
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Gettysburg, Baltimore, Lancaster although Lewes is a great area
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM

About an hour from Ocean City MD going south is the island of Chincoteague - great seafood, wonderful beach, bird and wildlife preserve, fishing, all in a quirky little off the beaten path town. I don't know if you want to go further south but Chincoteague is great.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:34 PM
gbs
Original Poster

these are great suggestions, we don't care if we get off the beaten path, or even if we are not going in a straight line to ocean city. anywhere in the greatere area would be a good suggestion.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:57 AM

If you are staying in OC MD I'd suggest Rehoboth Beach, DE and/or Lewes, DE. It is very easy to go to Lewes and park your car or take it with you by going on the Cape May/Lewes Ferry, there are several crossings of the Delaware Bay to Cape May and Lewes each day in both directions. Personally there is so much to do at the DE coast area that I'd stay at Rehoboth and Dewey Beach area alone for 3 or 4 days.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:00 AM

BTW, forgot to mention the most important thing about Lewes -- pronunciation.

It's pronounced "Louis," just like the man's name.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:02 AM

you can always do hershey park, and the factory tour, if you are not into ride the park has some good shows
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:36 AM

I don't know what your price range is but there are nice Bed & Breakfasts in St. Michael's, Chestertown and on Tilghman Island, MD. I would also suggest the hotels at Kent Narrows, MD. All have at least one very good restaurant and excursions are available. St. Michael's and Chestertown are more touristy; Tilghman is more authentic as a waterman town. Harrison's on Tilghman is famed for its genuine family-styled Chesapeake dining- its crab cakes are delicious. Let me also suggest Oxford, MD. The Robert Morris Inn rents nice rooms and its crab cakes are the best in the world, in my humble opinion.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:38 AM
LN

Hi again

Annapolis Maryland is a great place to stop off at. There's a lot of history here and it's also home to the Naval Academy, a great seaport, and some fantastic seafood restaurants.

The downtown area is small enough that you can easily do a walking tour. There are four homes there of signers of the Declaration of Independence plus, did you know that Annapolis was once the capitol of the United States?

You can sit in the Chart House restaurant or Carrolls Creek Restaurant and look out over the Naval Academy and the waterfront of Annapolis. Both restaurants are very good.

There's many great B&B's in Annapolis as well as hotel/motels. However the only waterfront hotel is the Marriott. It's fun to sit at the outdoor bar at the Marriott and watch the boats coming in and out of Ego Alley.

From Annapolis - you can head east to St Michaels - another great little seaport town about 1 1/2 hrs out Rt 50 and then down Rt 33. Did you know that during the Wr of 1812 that when the British boats were coming up the Chesapeake Bay the people in St Michaels moved all their lanterns to their 2nd stories so that when the Brits fired their cannons on their town the shells all overshot the town. Again great restaurants, sit around the Craw Claw and eat fresh crabs, shrimp, and watch the local watermen go out on their oyster boats.

Oxford is anothr great little town and one of the really nice things about it is the Robert Morris Inn. Very old and quaint but has marvelous crab cakes. Oxford also has a ferry and tho I haven't used it I believe it goes to Tilghman Island.

I could go on and on and add Easton, Cambridge (great new Hyatt recently added with waterfront access and golf course and, of course, very, very laid back.

I hope you'll stop on Eastern shore as it is delightful.

Oh, if you are then heading to Ocean City and will have a kitchen while there stop at a roadside stand and pick up some Silver Queen corn and eastern shore cantelope - you'll be happy you did.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:17 AM

The Oxford ferry goes to Bellevue (sp?), roughly seven miles from St. Michael's. It costs about $ 7.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll add my two cents, but you already have a lot of replies! Since you are spending a week at the beach, I would not go to Rehobeth, Lewes or any of the shore towns. If it were me, I would check into a nice hotel in Philadelphia for a couple of days. There is so much to see and do in Philly. Then I would do the Annapolis/Eastern Shore area for 2 more nights. Or maybe leave Philadelphia, and spend one day in Lancaster among the Amish and the next day in Gettysburg. Have fun and let us know what you decide to do.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:12 PM
gbs
Original Poster

So many great ideas. We need to spend a little time to figure this out. Thanks everyone
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM
gbs
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 02:27 PM

You can go to Lewes and watch the grass grow. After fifteen minutes in Lewes, there is absolutely nothing to do. Go to King's Ice Cream and have a chocolate almond cone and then leave town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -