Where to Stay and Do in Dearborn/Detroit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detroit is one of our stops on a road trip this summer to visit different baseball stadiums. We are staying at the Ritz Carlton in Dearborn. How far of a drive will this be from Detroit and what are some of the must sees in the area. We have two boys 14 and 10.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:31 PM

Hello from Detroit!

The Ritz Carlton Dearborn is very nice and the Staff are great. If possible try to get a club room. They have 5 small meals served through out the day and could work out having two boys who are likely eating machines. Or if your going to gone all day and it doesn't seem worth it, try to get the breakfast included along with the Henry Ford tickets, which is a must see while in Detroit.

The Ritz is approx. 40 minutes from Comerica Park. Which by the way is one of the coolest staduims in America. Ford Field is not far either. That's where those loser the Detroit Loins play. That staduim is also really cool. Not far from the Stadiums is Greektown. A great place to have a Greek Meal and let your boys experience OPA! And about 10 minute from there is the Old Tiger Stadium. Which stands empty and alone off Michigan Ave.

Of course Detroit is known as Motown and on East Grand Blvd. is a small museum deciated to the artist of Motown.

Dearborn has the largest Arab community outside of the middle east. And you can get some great Arabic Food, and it's not far from your Hotel. Fairlane Mall is right next door to your Hotel. The Hotel provides transportation there too.

The Ladies on the Club Floor at the Ritz are Wonderful. They can give you tons of info and stuff for the boys to do. They are really friendly and will be kind to your boys.

Theresa in Detroit, who's grieving about my pistons...
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the great information. I will check into everything.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:16 PM

I second the recommendation of The Henry Ford. It has 3 parts, Greenfield Village which has historic buildings assembled by Henry Ford, the Museum, which is noted for its transportation collection, and Rouge Tours where you can visit the manufacturing plant. Their site is www.hfmgv.org.

Just one correction, the Motown Museum is on West Grand Blvd, not East Grand Blvd. It was the original studio for the record company.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM

The Ritz Carlton Dearborn is very nice and will be a good location for your trip. I also recommend getting a club room - it is worth it for all the food. YUM!!
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
spiritgirl

As mentioned, you'll want to check out Greenfield Village and dine at the many fine Middle Eastern restaurants. The boys will get a kick out of the IMAX theatre.
In Detroit, you'll have to stop at Nemo's (near old Tiger Stadium on Michigan Ave) for imo, the best burger in town. You can even park there and get shuttled to the game.
The Detroit Institute of Arts will be closed but the Detroit Science Center's main exhibit is the Human Body-actual human specimens and anatomical displays showing how the body works. The boys might get a kick out of that. It's not too far from Comerica Park-a few miles north on Woodward Ave.
You don't mention when you'll be stopping in Detroit. If it's around August 18th you might want to catch the Woodward Dream Cruise in Royal Oak (about a half hour drive from Dearborn). Folks gather along Woodward Ave w/ their beach chairs to check out the vintage cars that cruise by. The event celebrates the heydeys of the '50's and '60's when Woodward avenue was the heart and soul of cruising in the city.

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 04:49 PM

I agree with everything that has been said, except that the Ritz is no more than 20 - 25 minutes from Comerica Park.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'd suggest a tour of one of the auto baron homes!

The Henry Ford Estate: http://www.henryfordestate.org/

The Edsel & Eleanor Ford House: http://www.fordhouse.org/

MeadowBrook Hall (Dodge Mansion): http://www2.oakland.edu/oakland/OUpo...ex.asp?site=87

Have fun and enjoy the game! I love that ballpark
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:30 PM

The kids might enjoy a trip to Canada via the tunnel. I thought it was cool as a kid! Windsor Ontario has some great French restaurants and a great view of the Detroit river front.

Greektown is a must and definitely order the saganaki - flaming cheese.

I enjoyed the Dossin Great Lakes Museum on Belle Isle. It even has a real freighter wheelhouse that you can go into. Belle Isle used to have a zoo, but I don't know if it's still open.

Whenever I go back to Detroit I make a point to have Buddy's Pizza. It is deep dish and delish! The one I go to is on the east side -- I'm not sure if there is one near Dearborn.

Other notable food adventures: Authentic Polish food in Hamtramk and loose meat sandwich at the National or Lafayette Coney Island. Just say "loose."

There are so many nice things happening in the suburbs and great places to see just by following a "spoke" out of the city. But the city itself is a little bit behind with renewal efforts.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

You mentioned going to Canada via the tunnel. Someone mentioned that if we are driving in canada, we should call our insurance company because you need a certain type of insurance policy to be covered in Canada. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM

No, I haven't heard anything about that. Michiganders regularly drive over to Canada (shopping, working, camping and the drinking age is lower!). I suppose to be sure you are covered, you should check with your insurance co. I believe you now need a passport to come back. It used to just be a driver's license or birth certificate.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:00 PM

We go to Windsor all the time from Detroit and have never notified our insurance company. The passport requirement for adults will not take effect until January 2008. Until then, you should have your birth certificates with you.

Yes, Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village are "must do's", in my opinion. Where are you driving from/to? If your travels take you anywhere near Kalamazoo I would take guys your sons age to the Michigan Space Center/ Airzoo:
http://www.airzoo.org/

Also, if you are visiting Cleveland to see the Indians play, you could spend a day at Cedar Point on the way. It's got some of the world's biggest roller coasters.
http://www.cedarpoint.com/

Sounds like a fun trip! They will never forget this vacation, I'll bet.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM

I meant to add that, honestly, I think Windsor would be kind of a snoozer for the guys. Not to offend any of our Canadian friends, it's just not an exciting place for kids. Ditto for Belle Isle. Although the Dossin Museum is interesting, as dmdvl mentioned. Second the recommendation for Buddy's Pizza as well. It's the best! There is a good website with local event information called Great Stuff to Do:
http://www.greatstufftodo.com/
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

thanks. I'm checking into everything. I'll let you know how it goes when we return.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM

It can be fun to go to Windsor just to say you've been out of the country. There are some great Italian restaurants on Erie Street.

You could check out the tour at Hiram Walker Distillery, where they make Canadian Club. I believe they used to have a minimum age limit, but not sure what it is.

You could also drive about 30 minutes south of Windsor to Amherstburg and visit Fort Malden. The fort was built in 1837 to defend from a US invasion. The barracks are open and in addition to demonstrations, they allow visitors to try on uniforms and march in formation to see what life was like in the British Army.

You could take the tunnel over and come back via the bridge. (You have a better view of the city driving into the US.)

You don't need a passport, but you do need proof of identity and citizenship. So, a driver's license and birth certificate. Check the requirements for travel to Canada on http://travel.state.gov/travel.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Maggi, I was born and raised in Windsor (though I don't live there now) and I was not offended by your "snoozer" comment at all! There's not THAT much to do for boys ages 14 and 10. But I agree with citylghts - at that age I know that I would have found it cool to have gone to a different country, so why not? Windsor is close and easy to get to if you're in downtown Detroit, so it's worth going over to grab a bite to eat and to check out the view of Detroit from the other side of the river.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Hunnym, I was just looking at it from experience with my two sons when they were that age. These days it can somewhat of a hassle to just "pop over" in light of what can sometimes be extremely long security lines at the tunnel or the bridge. I personally love Canada, especially Stratford and Toronto. Windsor feel charmingly old-fashioned to me, kind of like the States did 30 or 40 years ago.