Search

Where to ski?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:19 AM
dfr

Where to ski?

I want to plan a family ski trip for spring break next year. Can anyone offer suggestions for a family oriented resort? My son wants to learn snowboarding and we are beginner/intermediate skiers so we want to go somewhere with plenty of easier trails.
We would like someplace that is not crowded (if there is such a thing) and with a variety of other activities like snowmobiling, toboggan runs, sleigh rides, etc. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:52 AM
d

what part of the country?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 11:13 AM
dfr39

Well, we're in Texas so New Mexico and Colorado are closest. But we'll try just about anywhere. Was thinking of maybe Utah or Nevada?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 12:51 PM
SkiBum

Steamboat has been rated one of the best family ski areas by several magazines including Family Circle and Skiing. Great place for families.

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 10:28 PM
ERIC

I agree that Steamboat Springs is a good place for children. Children get free lift tickets with a paid adult, the last time we were there. There is a indoor water park with a type of mineral bath and other activities in the town. Bear Claw Condos and others are ski in and ski out as well as the Sheraton at the base of the mountain.

Beaver Creek is a much nicer place and more expensive. The ski school was great. Our 10 year old and 5 year old had a ball(Great ski instructors that have fun with the kids, good food and our kids wanted to go to ski school and not with us! There are many different levels of difficulty and I no longer take black runs as I need my hands for work and I am getting too old to work that hard on vacation. Many high speed chairs and I have never seen it crowded. The facilities are second to none. The Hyatt or the Inn at Beaver Creek(ten feet from the lift and warm underground parking) are ski in and ski out. The Charter Resort is also nice. There is a skating rink and exclusive shops. A midmountain dinner house called Beanos Cabin serves "gourmet dinners" and is expensive. The Vilar Performing Arts Center has many concerts and events as well. Many restaurants around the Beav and in the towns around Avon and Vail resort. Make sure you see the Beaver Liquors sign in Avon as I find it amusing. There is an outdoor skating rink with the cutest little Zamboni. My wife now thinks this is the only place to ski because it is classy, provides great service and is upscale, but this comes with a price. You can rent skis right at the mountain or a little cheaper at the base of the mountain in Avon. Get a Sunday Denver Post for ski ticket specials, sometimes discount tickets are at Gart Bros. Sports and some of the supermarkets. It is also close to Vail which has a midmountain skating rink and program called Adventure Ridge. Any ski injuries there and you can be seen at the Steadman Orthopedic Clinic. I want to ski down the hill on the ski bikes someday.

Copper Mountain is also a nice resort area and more moderately priced. Our children liked the ski school there also. It also has a large outdoor skating rink and a variety of runs and difficulty. These are all within one hour of each other, but if you stay in Beaver Creek, would only visit Vail as it is the closest. If you want any other questions answered post them and I would try to reply.