Where to see the Trans-Alaska pipeline

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to see the Trans-Alaska pipeline

Prior to a 7 day inside passage cruise, I've got 12 days to explore Alaska on land. In addition to seeing mountains, glaciers, wildlife, etc. - I want to see the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. My original plan was to start in Anchorage, rent a car and do the Denali, Fairbanks, Delta Junction, Glennallen loop, before heading to Seward for the final 2 days. After more research, this plan began to seem like too much driving, so I decided to skip Fairbanks, backtrack through Talkeetna and add a visit to Homer.

Now I realize (think) that this revised plan might mean that I would miss seeing the pipeline, so I'm thinking of skipping Homer and (after Denali/Talkeetna) continuing to Valdez before backtracking (again) to Anchorage, returning the car and taking the train to Seward.

Is this still too much driving? Was the original plan better for viewing the pipeline? All advice and opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:08 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
IMO 12 days is enough to do your original route depending on how long you plan to spend in the various places. Obviously Anchorage, Denali and Fairbanks merit more than one day each, but Delta and Glennallen don't, so if they're just navigation points you can do the route pretty quickly.

That said, the Richardson Hwy into Valdez is quite scenic, so if time permits you could add Valdez too. If the scheduling works out, and if the cost is not a hindrance, you could also look at taking the ferry from Valdez over to Whittier, which would allow quick access to the Kenai.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM

Yes, your revised route, has not Pipeline access/view. Get yourself a map. The pipeline runs Fairbanks, down the Richardson to Valdez.

With 12 days you certainly can route yourself to see it. IF you have no other interest in Fairbanks, you might want to go as far on the Parks Highway to Denali Park, and then go across the Glennallen, to the Richardson, then to Valdez. Although costly, I would then ferry Valdez/Whittier. Very scenic as well.

A sample itinerary
1. Anchorage
2-4 Denali park.
5 Palmer/Sheep Mt
6 Copper Center
7/8 Valdez
9/10 Homer
11 Anchorage
12 Seward.

Plenty of alterations available. IF you want more time in Seward, then skip Homer as you mention.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Why not fly into Fairbanks and start your trip there? That's what we did before our inside passage cruise. I enjoyed our time around Fairbanks and we also got to see the pipeline.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. This is all very helpful. The more I read, the harder it is to decide what to cut, so now I'm thinking I will simply HAVE to extend my trip by a few days (and also take the Valdez/Whittier ferry one way).

One (more) question about getting from Denali to Valdez: the distance from Denali to Glennallen via Fairbanks and the Richardson Hwy is only 17 miles more (373) than backtracking on Parks and then taking Glenn Hwy (356). Most people seem to choose or recommend Parks/Glenn. Why is that?