Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to retire for 6 mo./yr. in Calif.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:21 AM
mandy

i am lookiing for suggestions on where to move to in California for 6 months a yr. escaping the cold from Canada. Looking for mild weather during winter, small community with cultural activites, nature, trees, and wildlife, birds, etc. Maybe Ojai, Laguna or Santa Barbara? N. or S. California? We aren't big golfers, but like hiking, and things to do, not just sit around a pool.Thanks to any suggestions.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Not

Maybe you're far luckier than most and have plenty of cash, but if not, you're in dream land if you think you're going to be able to live in Ojai, Santa Barbara or Laguna.

What size home are you looking for? Housing budget for a home purchase? Age level?

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:35 AM
may

Santa Barbara.
Great climate.
Plenty to do.
Still close to LA.
Super expensive.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Cal

Where are you from? How bad are your winters? Would you prefer ocean, desert, mountain proximity?

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:41 AM
mandy

To "Not so lucky"- We would be looking for a small home/townhouse/ or condo. Price range+-$500,000-$700,000. Ages: 50yrs.old. What about Monterey? Carmel? Is n. Calif. cold in winter? Which is more congested- n. or s. Calif?

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:42 AM
x

Geez Cal can't you read. Here I'll put his message closer:

Message: i am lookiing for suggestions on where to move to in California for 6 months a yr. escaping the cold from Canada. Looking for mild weather during winter, small community with cultural activites, nature, trees, and wildlife, birds, etc. Maybe Ojai, Laguna or Santa Barbara? N. or S. California? We aren't big golfers, but like hiking, and things to do, not just sit around a pool.Thanks to any suggestions.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:47 AM
joesorce

Take a look at Carpinteria, about 10 miles south of Santa Barbara. Small town atmosphere except for July August when the tourists invade. In fact you could rent your condo out for a good price in the summer.
A short drive to all the cultural activities of Santa Barbara, and a 25 minute drive to Ojai.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:48 AM
NCA

Mandy

Northern Ca is colder than S CA. The coast is milder, temperature wise, but the north coast can be cold alot of the time.

Palm Springs probably provides the best wintertime temps of most CA locations though when visiting parents in S CA at Christmas it can often be 80 degrees. Quite surprising when coming from 40-60 in N CA.

Congested parts of the state are the areas around the big cities like the bay area and Los Angeles south to San Diego. CA is a big state with lots of agricultural areas in the center lots of mountains in the east and an amazing and diverse coast.

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Cal

I ask where in Canada you are from because it is a huge country with some climate variances. Winters in Vancouver or on Vancouver Island are quite different than those in Alberta, Northern Quebec or coastal Nova Scotia. Similarly, if someone says they wish to escape the heat of USA's summer then it would help to know their idea of hot.
"Mild weather", which is what you seek, would depend on your reference, would it not? Likewise, the type of landscape you would like to be near, or not be near, might depend on where you currently live.

Anyway, I'll go out on limb and suggest buying a place at Sea Ranch on coastal northern Sonoma county.

Welcome to the USA. Enjoy.

/Cal

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Cece

Look into Temecula. About 30min north of San Diego. Growing wine country community. It would be about 45min to the coast, though if that is of concern. Only 1hr to Palm Springs.

Old May 13th, 2002, 01:44 PM
mandy

Cal-We are from Alberta so our winters are bad, and virtually have no springs. Last week it snowed and was 1 degree C.(so you get the picture). We would prefer a forested area with lots of greenery near the ocean, not mountain loc. or desert. Thank you for your replies.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:19 PM
xxx

Cambria, along the central coast of California, would fit your bill for forest and ocean, but not in the mountains. Quaint town near wineries and Hearst Castle. A tourist town with pleasant year round weather. But small in size, though only a few hours south of San Francisco area. San Luis Obispo is a college town that is located nearby and is a popular getaway spot for many.

Old May 13th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Cal

Mandy,

I'm thinking the North Coast (SF to Oregon) is the place for you. That would be my first choice. (I live in SF).

Search on the web and read about the area - Sonoma, Mendocino, Humboldt and Del Norte Counties.

Then, if you think this region might be for you, take a leisurely drive-through to do your main research. (Perhaps fly into SFO or Oakland, rent a car to be returned in Portland, and fly home from there.) You could scout this area within a week, probably, and even if it didn't pan-out the trip would still be fun.

/Cal

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Joyce

Based on what you're looking for, I think Santa Barbara area would be perfect. It has more hiking opportunities than Laguna (although I love Laguna). Santa Barbara is very expensive but you could go to a suburb...but don't go to Isla Vista/Goleta because it's strictly a wild and crazy college town. I think you'll enjoy So.California much more than No.California because of their better weather. Joyce

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:05 PM
G

What is a suburb of Santa Barbara?

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Renee

I would second Santa Barbara - great warm weather, beautiful, lots to do, and easy access to Los Angeles and the Central California coast. Northern California can be much colder.

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Lonni

As a real estate agent on the central coast, let me just warn you that $700K isn't going to buy you much in Santa Barbara. Wait until you pull up in front of a fixer upper old house that will be referred to as a "cottage" that is in need of some TLC. I'd have to agree that you could still get more for your money if you head up to the Cambria market.

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Mark

I second the opinions for Santa Barbara and the areas south like Ojai. If you're only going to be here 6 mos- 1 year, can't you just rent? I don't get the impression you're selling your Canadian home....live it up for a bit in Southern California! I actually live in Northern California but for what you're looking for I think you'll be happiest in Central to Southern California.By the time you pay all the loan and real estate fees going in and selling, renting might work best for you. Mark

Old May 13th, 2002, 06:53 PM
wendy

check out del mar, carlsbad, solana beach, san clemente...especially san clemente. beautiful ocean town between san diego and orange county.

however, one thing threw me in your post - wanting to be in a forested area near the ocean. While the weather is absolutely stunning in the areas i mentioned, you will be hard pressed to find a forest anywhere near (well, within a couple of hours drive). In that case, I'd definitely head north. I'm not as familar with the areas, but I think beach communities above san francisco have forests nearby.

Old May 13th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Jay

To all the JEALOUS people: Perhaps it won't be possible to buy a home in either Santa Barbara or Laguna, but it IS quite possible to rent an apartment or condo there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -