Reload this Page >

Where to park car for 4 days in NYC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 04:07 PM
jm

We're driving to New York, and planning to stay in midtown. We won't need to use our car while there. The hotel wants $30/day for parking. Is there a cheaper alternative? We could park and then cab to the hotel.

Would it make sense to use long term parking at the airport?

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 06:46 PM
Owen O'Neill

There are much cheaper places to park in the city than $30 per day - if you check around you should be able to find secured parking in midtown or Murray Hill for about $18 per day including all taxes (I've seen it this cheap within the past month). If only staying for 4 days it wouldn't make sense to park at the airport. What direction are you coming in from and will you have just two suitcases? There are some parking alternatives in NJ that are cheap or free depending on how close you need to be and what you need to lug in with you. If you do choose to drive in try to tuime your arrival between 10AM and 3PM to avoid the heavy tunnel and bridge traffic. I'd also suggest checking 880AM newsradio when you're approaching NYC. They have traffic reports every 10 minutes and report all tunnel and bridge delay times. If they do NOT mention a particular tunnel or bridge it means there's no delay on that route at that time. Cheapest airport parking at Newark (the only airport I'm familiar with) is $8 per day but then there's the hassle of taking a shuttle to the terminal and then a shuttle to NYC (at a cost that defeats the purpose of parking there). You could park at the lot connected to the Simon shopping mall in Newport Pavonia (waterfront area of Jersey City) and take the PATH train into NY (10 minute $1 ride). Parking is about $10 total for each 24 hours but IMHO spend the extra few bucks and get cheapest parking in NYC - much easier.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:46 PM
Anthony Sutherland

Geez....I am one NYer who really is frustrated with the fact that parking is soo ridiculous in NYC...

I'd like to help you save alot of dough - so here u go! Park your car in this yown named Bronxville, just 17-18 inutes by train to NY/midtown's Grand Central Terminal. You will hae noi safety issues there, and just park yur car a couple of blocks away from the train stop in Bronxville. Save all that $$$....

Good Luck. If you should need additional info, including travel and tour info, please contact me @ [email protected]

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 06:50 AM
jm

Owen- thanks for the advice. We will be coming in from Springfield, Mass., which is probably about a 4 hour drive. Through Stamford Conn.

We'll be staying in midtown area of NYC. If in your travels, (assuming you are in NYC), you should note a particular address of a secured parking lot/garage, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
JM

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 03:34 PM
howard

Where are you staying in Manhattan? The prices of garages are cheaper as you move west towards the Hudson River. (Wherever you park, make sure it's a secure indoor facility. I wouldn't recommend leaving your car overnight in an outdoor facility.)
PS: A driving tipince you mentioned that you drive thru Stamford, I assume you're taking Rte. 91 or 15 from Hartford to New Haven and then Rte. 95 or the Merritt Parkway. If you pick up Rte. 84 from Hartford instead, you'll save about a half-hour driving time.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 07:20 PM
jm

Howard, there you are again with helpful tips for another of my NYC trips. At the moment, unless I find a better hotel at a better rate, we're booked at the Loews for and upgraded business room at $199, plus the $30 parking. I think the Loews is at Lexington and 57th. Any info or opinion on the hotel also appreciated.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 02:49 AM
vosaki

If you're indifferent to how your car is treated, I would have the hotel valet park it. When you consider all the monkey motion involved in parking your car at a remote location, it's not worth it. Parking in any enclosed parking garage in Manhatten will cost you at least $20 per day.
Since scratches and dings are an issue, I parked my car at the Convention Center's enclosed lot. It's a few blocks from Broadway and 42nd. It's a self park, and I found a great spot in a corner. It was about $20 per day.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'm not in NYC but get there once every other week or so. The garage I saw for $17.50 (it was secure indoor parking) was on the south side of the Port Authority terminal. I believe this would be 39th or 40th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. I noticed it because the price was cheaper than I'd seen in midtown in quite some time. However, since you'll be on Lexington, I do recall that there's cheap (around $18 including fees) parking in Murray Hill. Last year I stayed at HoJo Park Avenue South (around or near 32nd St). They had valet parking for $17 or $18 per day - it was not their lot so I;m certain that's the standard price and the parking must have been close - it took the valet only a few minutes to retrieve the car. Do a search on this column with Murray Hill and parking as keywords - I think the lot/garage in question may have been mentioned in a post last year.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 10:45 AM
howard

Thanks for the "endorsement" jm. The above two posters have given some good advice. To me, the convenience of having the hotel take care of your car is worth the extra, say, $30, rather than spending the time to drive around to a garage that might be 10 or more blocks away from the hotel and the additional time for walking back and forth to the car. Think about that! If you are still determined to save the money, then here's some general advice: The further east you go, i.e., towards the East River, the lower the price is likely to be.
Whatever you do, make sure it's in a secure garage! And even there, don't leave any valuables in the car or trunk.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 11:26 AM
jm

Thanks, everyone. Here's a bit more information--Since we're paying in Canadian dollars, 4 days of parking at $30US will run us about $170 Canadian - that's why we're looking elsewhere. Also, we have no intention of using the car for the 4 days. We'll just cab with our carryons to and from the hotel on arrival and departure.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 11:40 AM
vosaki

CD or US you ain't save anything if you take a cab.