Reload this Page >

Where to meet near Columbus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Lynn

Two families (with several teens) are looking for a place to meet around Columbus, Ohio, over Easter weekend. We need a condo sort of place with 3-4 bedrooms, several baths (lots of girl kids), maybe a golf course or some outdoor recreation, some shopping. Don't need to be in the city; maybe near the airport as some college-age kids will be flying in. Mostly interested in some place where we can hang out, cook and enjoy being together, as both families have recently relocated and this will be a gathering place.

Thanks for any ideas!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Rich

Lynn:

Unfortunately, I can't think of any places just outside the city that have condo or cottage-type accommodations.

Perhaps you might try a Residence Inn? They are more like apartments, and they have kitchens with utensils in the rooms. There are several scattered throughout the city. The one at I-71 and State Route 161 might be the closest to the airport.

Ohio has some very nice state parks with lodges and cabins, but the closest one to Columbus is Deer Creek State Park, about 45 mins (?) from Columbus.

But wherever you stay, you're going to have to make a trade-off . . . if you want nature activities, you're not going to be close to nightlife, shopping, etc., and vice-versa.

Sounds like you would prefer to stay closer to city-type activities, anyway. The City of Columbus has some pretty good golf courses, and there's COSI, the Ohio Historical Society/Ohio Village, shopping at the Easton complex, and more.

Try calling 1-800- BUCKEYE. They'll be happy to help you!

Hope you have a nice stay here, and if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:11 AM
Jill

Hi Lynn-Some places for you to check out:

Columbus Corporate Lodging in NW Columbus (Dublin area) parks and zoo nearby as is Muirfield Golf Course and Tuttle Mall. url: www.columbussclp.com

Amerisuites, 7490 Vantage Drive, Worthington, 1-800-833-1516 natiional #

Bridge Street Accomodations: url: www.bridgestreet.com

Hampton Inn & Suites, Short North, shopping, art galleries, restaurants, close to downtown. 614-559-2000

Woodfin Suite Hotels, NW, www.woodfinsuitehotels,com

Lofts Suites Downtown-new and supposed to be very nice. www.55lofts.com

Towne Place Suites by Mariott, www.towneplace.com

Easton Town Center offers world class shopping and entertainment and hotels. Located on the east side of Columbus. url is: www.eastontowncenter.com

Or, if you prefer a more laid back place, Deer Creek Lodge State Park south of town has beautiful accomodations, hiking trails etc. Call 1-800-At-A-Park or 1-800-Buckeye for more info.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Jenny

Lynn,
I would have to second Jill's recommendation of Easton. It is very close to the airport - probably the closest you are going to get that offers as many shops, restaurants and hotels. The teenagers would love it. Inside the Easton town center there is a 25+ screen movie theater; Gameworks for younger kids or teens; department store chains including Abercrombie, Banana Republic, Gap, Restoration Hardware, etc. There are also specialty shops including a neat place called Color Your World. You can go there and paint your own pottery if anyone is the crafty type. There are also great places to eat, both fast food and sit down. Also, a couple blocks away from the Center itself is another shopping center that includes stores like T.J. Maxx, Old Navy and Galyans. Hotels around Easton are likely to be expensive. If that is a problem, I would suggest maybe checking into hotels in the nearby Westerville area. There are several right of I-270. There is also a state park in Westerville, Sharon Woods. It has shelter areas for picnics and walking trails. There are two public golf courses near the airport. They aren't anything spectacular. If you really want to golf, I would suggest Muirfield in Dublin or Wedgewood in Powell. Last I heard, Muirfield allowed some public play, but I would double check on that. Wedgewood is a fantastic course, but is private. If you don't know a member, check out the Shamrock public course directly across the street. It is one of the best public courses in the area. If you just want something close, Westerivlle has a public course, called Medalion. There is also another course, even closer to the airport but the name escapes me now. I hope this has been of some help. I hope you have a great time!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Lynn

Thanks for the always-wonderful advice. We've reserved 2-bedroom suites at Residence Inns @ Dublin which appear to meet all our needs - and give us a base for exploring future options. As always, thanks for recommendations. Now tell us where to eat - local, not chains! And - here's a stretch: A place for Good Friday afternoon services?
Thanks again . . . And sorry if this posts twice - connection's being weird!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:18 AM
peg

My favorite "local" restaurant is any of the several Cameron Mitchell restaurants. Though not inexpensive, not overly expensive either, though the steakhouse is kinda pricey. I've been to 3 of them, and have never been disappointed. They're all different from each other, and food and service are always excellent.

The original restaurant is on 161/Dublin-Granville Road at Linwood. And, there is a new Mitchell Steakhouse off Campus View, near 270 East and 23 North. There is another fairly new one called Martini's (excellent Italian) on Polaris. All are about 15-20 minutes from Dublin. Just about anyone here can direct you.

Can't help with the Friday services. Sorry. Enjoy Columbus.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Rich

Lynn:

Glad you found a place that meets your needs.

But Jenny was mistaken when she suggested Muirfield or Wedgewood for golf. Both are VERY exclusive, and VERY private. Shamrock (across Powell Rd. from Wedgewood) is public. However, be warned: Columbus is golf-crazy. Most of the public courses fill up quickly, especially on the weekends (I know this, and I can't stand the game!), so book your tee times early!

As far as restaurants, I think you'll find that Dublin is loaded with chain restaurants. But, as long as the food is good, who cares?

But if, by chance, you like Japanese food, you're in luck. Due to the major Honda presence in the area, we are fortunate to have some of the best Japanese restaurants in the country. My favorite is Restaurant Japan, located in a poorly marked strip mall at the intersection of Kenny & Old Henderson Roads (there's a Staples office supply store facing Kenny). That shopping center also has a great Japanese grocery store, as well.

My other suggestions:

- Lai Lai (Chinese) at Mill Run Center.
- La Chatelaine in Upper Arlington. This is a french bakery/restaurant.
- Mozart's (either at Easton or on N. High St.). This is an Austrian bakery/restaurant.
- City Barbecue on Henderson Road.
- Hyde Park Grille (the one on Old Henderson; NOT the one in Dublin). It's expensive, but worth it! Kind of on par w/Ruth's Chris.
- Bravo (Italian) on Bethel Rd.

All of these restaurants are an easy drive from your hotel.

Personally, I think the Cameron Mitchell restaurants are highly overrated, but everybody has their own taste.

And since you don't say what religion you are, I can't help you w/a church. But Dublin has churches from virtually all of the major denominations. Ask the hotel people, or look in the Yellow Pages.

I hope that you and your family enjoy your stay!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Jill

Lynn-The Bogey Inn in Dublin is a great informal place for dinner and drinks. Ask your hotel for directions. Biddies Coach House on High St. in Dublin has good food as does the White House Bistro in Powell. If you really want a nice dinner and don't want to spare expense, The Refectory on Bethel Rd. is the place to go.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Lynn

Once again, thanks for all the great responses. Just wanted to run this up one more time to see if anyone else has ideas. We've enjoyed Columbus when we've been there before (two days, for a wedding) and, now that we live in Pittsburgh, are looking forward to time to explore and try out all the great places to eat, shop and discover.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:17 AM
Chuck

The new COSI downtown is great and there is something for everyone to do there. The Ohio Village at the Ohio Historical Center is the recreation of an old time village, they have craft shops, a nice restaurant etc. It is adjacent to the Ohio Historical Center. If your kids are soccer fans, check to see if the Columbus Crew are playing. They have their own soccer stadium next to the Fairgrounds. Tuttle Mall is near where you are staying if you want to go shopping. There is an IMAX movie theater at US23North and 270 in Worthington. For public golf there is the Shamrock Golf Course on Powell Rd. and the Safari Course next to the Columbus Zoo on Riverside Drive. Have fun.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:29 AM
Jill

wbns10tv.com, columbusdispatch.com or wcmh tv, should have links to what is going on in the area and what to do. OR call 1-800-Buckeye for more info.