where to live near Ft Laud/Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, moving to Ft. Laud area but would also like to be able to commute to Miami in case of job opportunities. I hear the traffic between the 2 can be horrendous during rush hour, 2 hours each way, is this true? Where would you suggest living? I was considering Sunrise, Davie, Plantation area. Is Coral Springs too far, how long would the commute be? Thank you for your advice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:38 AM

Dear Kaylear:
Hi! I live in Coral Springs...it would be a haul to drive to and from Miami each day for business. However, if you live on the north end of Coral Springs you would be closer to interstates which provide access to Miami...it's just rush hour traffic that is a hassle. You might consider Weston, as well.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, how far is the haul from coral springs to FtL? What is the traffic like? thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 07:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I live in Cooper City. It's directly south of Plantation and about 30 minutes SW of downtown Ft Lauderdale.

My daughter lives in Ft Lauderdale and when she moved from South Beach she continued with her job for about a month.

The drive was really bad.

You don't have a lot of choices; either I(% to the east or the Turnpike to the West.

I'd rent by the month until you find a job. Then move.

Since there's very little public transportation, everybody drive by car. East-West expressways are few and far between.

I595 from Ft Lauderdale West is the only one really between the Golden Glades interchange in North Miamia and the Palm Beach-Broward county line.

Either be prepared to drive or be picky.

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM

First the traffic IS horrendous...2 hours at peak times EASILY.

If you are new to south florida and you intend on making it a long term thing....I would recommend that you keep as flexible as possible. I moved at least 5 times before I found an area I truly love.

Each neighborhood has vastly different feels to it.....you really want to stay a while and get a feel for the area.

Some of the area mentioned in the above posts....I would slit my wrist if I lived there....not that there is anything wrong....just a bad fit for me.

I also owned a home in a gated community at one point near Weston...ohh my GOD...what a MISTAKE that was.....so just keep your self flexible until you know what you like.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. Can anyone recommend a good real estate agent or company down there? It's been tough trying to find out where to live, what are good questions to ask. Where would you avoid or prefer and why. Thanks again.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:12 PM

Kaylear,

I would not normally do this...but because good agents are so hard to find I will make an exception.

[email protected]

Heidi is with Coldwell Banker....E-mail her, and give her your needs...I have used a lot of agents over the years and she is by far the best person I have ever dealt with. If you have any problems with the deal she will be there at all times.

If the areas that you are looking in dont match where she is familiar with, I know she will refer you to someone equally reliable.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

thank you mark99, you are the best! Absolutely no one I know in north florida had a real estate agent they liked, including us. If anyone feels comfortable making generalizations about areas around the FTL area, please do so. thank you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:31 PM

Hi, I grew up in south florida, have lived in Miami and various cities in Broward County. If you are looking for the best area to be able to commute throughout the area, I would recommend west broward close to 595 or I75. In fact, I recently moved out of South Florida to North Florida. My 2 bdrm 2 and half bath townhouse in Plantation, right next to 595 and I75 is currently for sale at a good price due to the housing market being slow. If you're interested, contact me at my screen name at yahoo dot com and I will send you the listing and any other info you would like about the area.