Where to have a family reunion?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas for us? We range from 21 yrs to 70 yrs.......The things that are important to us are: upscale lodging, fine food, activities to please all....these are not requirements but have been well received in the past - golf, spa, gambling, boating, evening entertainment, some interesting shopping, nice scenery. I know this is kind of broad...some of our best trips have been: cruise to Alaska, villa in St. Thomas and Disney (Beach Club).

Any ideas you have would be great. We are fortunate to have a pretty liberal budget.

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM

When are you going? I'd recommend: Hilton Head, SC or Sea Island, GA; Las Vegas (wide range of entertainment, and not as tacky as it sounds); Enchantment Resort in Sedona, AZ; and Beaver Creek, CO.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 12:27 PM

We've done the reunion thing in Bermuda. Our age range was even broader. Hamilton Beach Club is nice. Mermaid Beach Club. Check for hurricane damage, though. Shopping, swimming, dining, golf.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Have you considered New Orleans? If your reunion is in the summer, it would be a lousy choice because of the heat and humidity, but other times of the year are wonderful. You could find good accommodations, the best food in the world, lots of activities (including gambling), and golf, though I'm not familiar with the courses there.
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Hawaii or the Mexican Carribbean coast ?

Cancun has some great hotels, and there are also some pretty nice (from what I've heard) all-inclusive hotels around Playa Del Carmen, or beautiful villas in Akumal, Mexico...or Puerto Vallarta...
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the great ideas. We will probably go in Sep or Oct. We took a cruise to Bermuda once so I think we'll pass. New Orleans is a great idea....we're from the East Coast so it's an easy flight...

Happy New Year
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:04 AM

How about Chatham on Cape Cod? Or Newport, RI, or Portsmouth, NH?

For Portsmouth I'd stay at the Wentworth Hotel in Newcastle. It is newly renovated, and is a Marriott, if anyone carries points.

Chatham has great shopping, golf, restaurants, and ocean activities. I like the more modern Wequasset Inn, but many would highly recommend Chatham Bars Inn. I also love the Bradford Inn right downtown.

Newport would be another great choice. I like the location of the Marriott downtown, but the Best Western on the Middletown line is a great more moderate choice, and is a short walk to the beach. Can't beat the restaurant options, lots of shopping, Tennis HoF, golf, and of course the mansions to tour!

Have fun deciding. Sounds fun!
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:00 AM

I loved Charleston when I was there. Plenty to do.... dining, boating, tours, shopping, etc. Stayed at The Mills House and it was nice (3-4* quality) with wonderful food and a small area where you could ask them to set up some meals just for your family (it looked like some ladies were having a birthday brunch when I was there.) There are higher scale hotels in Charleston that might even be better for your purposes. I truly enjoyed my 2 days there and would like to go back when I have more time to spend.

Wherever you decide to go...ENJOY!