Notices

Where to go in Denver Area in 2 weeks

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 12:46 PM
nicole

Where to go in Denver Area in 2 weeks

Hi All,

My husband and I are going to Colorado for our anniversary Oct 18-22. We would like to find a quaint town within about 2 hours from Denver that can be our base for the long weekend and take day trips from there. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

We like to hike and enjoy good food. We are not really big shoppers or nightlife people, we are more interested in the natural scenery and relaxing.

Thanks a bunch!!
nicole

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Gretchen

Frisco would be a candidate.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:11 PM
gb

I like Glenwood Springs

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Les

Gretchen,
Might just be me, but I find nothing quaint about Frisco.
Nicole,
You might try Vail (faux quaint), or Breckenridge (a bit more authentic).
Georgetown is another option.

Old Sep 29th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Nicole

Thanks All! Any B&B or hotel recommendations for Vail/Breckenridge area? Something around $150/night or less.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:46 AM
cokskier

Vail would be a good choice, All the Mountain towns will be VERY quiet at that time. Cannot recommend any B&Bs in Vail sorry, Breckenridge try Muggins Gulch Inn.

Vail will have better food. You might take a look at http://www.vailnet.com for ideas.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:32 AM
kima

Hi Nicole, in the Vail area look at
http://www.minturninn.com/

at that time of year you can find tons of places well within your budget.

Another idea is the Cascade Resort and Spa in Vail. They usally have great spa packages in the fall if your into that sort of thing!

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Lexma90

Be prepared that you will be visiting during one of the slow times of year. The good side is that you should be able to find lots of good hotel rates; the down side is that stores and restaurants may be closed until ski season. It might be a bit cool to hike, as well, though there shouldn't be any snow acumulation yet (maybe on the higher elevations).

Vail or Breck would be good choices, though of course Vail will have better restaurants and possibly more will be open. Vail isn't really quaint, but it is pretty.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Lexma90

Here's another suggestion, if you're interested in Breck. There's a B&B that I've run past many times while out running in Breck, and it looks lovely from the outside, though I've never been in the inside. It's a medium-long walk into downtown Breck, but a lot nicer looking (from the outside) than the B&Bs in downtown Breck, many of which are in historic structures. The web address is http://www.littlemountainlodge.com.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
nicole

Thanks All,

I think I've decided on Breck. We usually stay at B&Bs but the pictures of the ones I have found do not look that good. The Lodge & Spa is running a special for $99/night and the Little Mtn Lodge is $140/night so I think we are going to go with the Lodge & Spa.

I've also heard good things about Leadville but not finding any hotel recommendations or nice pictures of the ones I find on the web, so maybe we will just day trip it there.

Thanks again for all the input!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:44 AM
coskier

Good choice Nicole, I stayed years ago at the Lodge and Spa, was very nice.

Leadville is a strange little town. I would not stay there. Not much there really. The area is beautiful though.

For a memorable night out look at Ski Tip Lodge at Keystone. Its a short drive over Swan Mountain rd. they have a 5 course meal served in what used to be the original stage coach stop. Desert is served in a separate area by a huge roaring fire! Hopefully they will be open, if they are they may well be having 2 for 1 dinners at that time. Reservations are a must they have only about 8 tables.