Search

Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go?

Hi, my husband and I would like to take our 6yr old to learn to ski. We would like a ski-in-out something with a ski school for him and just a cozy (nice)place to stay and walking dist to town. We will be leaving out of Houston and not sure what month yet we are going - probably after Christmas. Would love to go during Christmas but what I have been reading, it will be too crowded. Thanks for the Help. Liz
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:53 AM

East, west? What state?
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I thought I was posting in the Colorado. Sorry, we have Colorado in mind. Thanks
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM

Snowmass has a great ski school and there are tons of ski in ski out condos available as well as a couple of hotels right by the lifts and on the alking mall area.

Go to www.aspensnowmass.com to get links to lots and lots of accomadations. You can fly to Aspen or fly to Denver and drive to Aspen (4 1/2 hrs). We fly to Denver and drive to Aspen because my kids adjust to the altitude better when we drive to altitude.

You can get really good rates on Learn to Ski group lessons at Snowmass or Buttermilk (also an Aspen property and even easier than Snowmass but less in the way of acommadations onsite). The package includes instructions, lift tickets, equipment and lunch for a specified number of days. I would do at least three days of lessons for a newbie.

There are plenty of suggestions for skiing Colorado and ski schools on this site if you go to the search box and type in a variety of keywords.

Snowmass is 8 miles from Aspen and there is a free shuttle that will take you from one town to the other in case you want to hit some of the great restaurants in Aspen.

I also recommend a dinner at Pine Creek Cookhouse up Castle Creek Rd. Google them to see all about it. A lovely cabin/lodge that you get to by cross country ski or by horsedrawn sleigh.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Keystone is well known as a family friendly resort. There are many lodging choices. I prefer to ski out of Mountain House. The lines are typically much shorter or non existent. Plus the ski school their is less busy. It is an easy walk or shuttle to the River Run area for dining and shopping. Some condos that are walk to lifts are.
Chateau Du Mont, pricey
Slopeside, Moderate,
Snowdance, moderate to budget
Key Condo Moderate to Budget.
These are all older properties but many have been nicely renovated, Just be sure to ask for photos of the condo you would be renting.

Be aware that many properties in Keystone advertise themselves as ski in ski out but The only TRUE ski in Ski out is the Timbers and Lone Eagle both are very expensive. These units are in the River Run area. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I would also consider Beaver Creek. It's probably the most expensive of the above choices (unless you stay in Aspen), but it has a great ski school and almost all properties are near the town. Very safe environment for kids.

I also agree with all the above suggestions.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help.

We really did not want to drive very far after we arrived even though the ideal of (kids adjust to the altitude better when we drive to altitude) Is a great ideal.
Now it looks like we will have family after all coming, and having 4 other children with us. Not everyone is a big skier.
And they want to go the week of Christmas. Is this a good Ideal? Older parents will be with us also.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

What do you all think about Telluride?
Thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I'm a native Coloradoan, so my preferences would be:

Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain or Beaver Creek because I know from experience that they have ski-in-ski-out places AND aren't as expensive as Aspen, Snowmass, Vail or Telluride.

Although, the expensive places are, of course, nice as well. I've skiied/snowboarded in those places too, but I have not stayed in places in those towns with the ski-in-ski-out. The skiing in Telluride was fine, but for a beginner any resort in Colorado will have good powder and it shouldn't make a difference.

I get high altitude sickness above 9000 feet and I live at 6000 feet. To help with that, I take Ginkgo Biloba (available at the grocery store in the herbs and vitamins section) and Aspirin every few hours for a few days up until and including my time spent in the mountains. They thin your blood and allow you to get oxygen faster.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Telluride is beautiful. It probably will not be as "crowded" as Keystone, Breck, Copper but will be more costly in terms of lodging. At Christmas you are going to be paying the the highest rates no matter where you go. That is if your coming the 25th- through the first of the year. If you come before that and leave on the 26th rates will be lower. Although you did not ask I would not ski Breck at that time. It has what I believe to be the highest number of skiers per acre in the area.. Every time I ski there I see many terrible injures due to out of control skiers. The town is nice though. If you stay in Keystone it is an easy drive over Swan Mtn Rd for those that might want to shop, dine when they are not skiing. I think too that Summit County will have more options for non-skiers than Telluride. But again Telluride is an amazing place. Whichever you choose you will need to make reservations soon. Condos large enough to accommodate your group will go fast.

As to altitude if your driving you might think about spending one night in Denver. The Lodo area is a fun day/eve. Lost of shops good food, very pedestrian friendly.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM

I'd like to suggest Durango Mtn Resort to you. They have family friendly slopes and ski-in/out accomodations however it is not within walking distance to town. They have a good ski school as well.

But if you have non skiers, staying in town is a better option. Lots of choices in accomodations, nice shops, easing walking town, terrific restaurants to meet all tastes and budgets and not as expensive as other towns.

I do suggest you make reservations soon! Also, keep in mind that sometime there isn't too much snow around Xmas.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Christmas week is easily double to triple the cost of other weeks. Ditto the week after Christmas. Holiday weekends such at MLK weekend in February also drive the prices up like crazy.

I suggest you get onto www.vrbo.com and look at lodging options for a variety of ski resorts and look at the prices for various weeks of the year to get a clear picture of rates. That might help you narrow down your choices of both locations and timeframes.

The closer you are to Denver, the busier I find the resorts due to daytrippers from the city.

I would look at websites for a number of resorts to see what types of activities will be available for non-skiers.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:37 PM

You've got lots of great choices!! I'd like to throw in Winter Park and Steamboat Springs, both of which have awesome ski schools, great skiing, any type of lodging you are looking for and a low profile, small town feel! The ski resorts closer to Denver WILL be more crowded. We like Steamboat because it is usually not a day destination resort, although if you come during the holidays any resort will be maxed! You can google these resorts to get more information. Have fun, get a jump on your reservations!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM

This may be completely out of left field, but years ago Buttermilk was a great choice for families with young children learning to ski. It was a lot less busy than the other resorts and less to do in the immediate area, but a great place to learn to ski.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:12 AM

beaver Creek is fantastic for families. Most lodges are ski-in/out so the kids can't get lost. They have an award winning childrens ski school and many activities for the rest. beaver Creek has a free shuttle which will take you anywhere within the resort for those who don't want to walk. Vail is only 10 minutes away offering loads more restaurants, shopping etc.
Christmas is a ZOO> and as previously posted much more expensive> no matter WHAT resort you go to. By the way, the Vail/Eagle airport has many scheduled flights from your area and is only an easy 25 minute drive away versus the 2 hour trek from Denver. I highly recommend that. Check out all of the Vail & Beaver Creek activities at www.snow.com.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for eveyone's suggestions - I have been checking into them all.

How is the Vail/Eagle airport during Christmas/weather wise. I read somewhere if the weather is bad you have a really hard time getting in and out that airport.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Yeah, in the case of snow you may be SOL for Eagle but it isn't usually a problem until Jan- Feb but no one has a crystal ball. You'd be SOL if you have to drive anywhere from Denver too in the case of snow as the roads will shut down also.

You can fly to Denver and take the train to Winter Park. I don't know what happens to the train when it snows...
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I think we are leaning more toward Steamboat Springs.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Just a tip about using this forum:

There is only one U.S. forum. When you put something into "Colorado" or any other state, the only thing that is useful for is when someone uses the search function.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Steamboat is an excellent choice for families, we stayed a few years ago putting our 1 yr. old in daycare and our 3 1/2 year old in lessons. Both were happy and did fine. Very family oriented resort.

Last year we skied at Crested Butte, Colorado which I also highly recommend - kids did well in and loved ski school there. It's a smaller, less accessible less crowded resort with a non-pretentious atmosphere and many excellent restaurant choices - might actually be closer for you than the I-70 resorts coming from Texas.

As previously mentioned the I-70 resorts: Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper, Vail - all have excellent ski schools, plenty of ski-in ski=out accomodations, and are easily accessible. They are big mountains with a lot of skiing variety, Copper & Vail especially.

VRBO is an excellent rec. as well. Even with Christmas being a busy season, there are SO many people trying to rent their places out that you may still find something there.

Oh, one more thing, have you looked in New Mexico at all? Closer for you, and I've heard that Angel Fire is a nice ski resort, there are others too near there that I can't think of right now.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -