Search

where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 09:32 AM
Ilaria

where to go?

I am looking for a warm destination for a short trip at the end of winter/early spring. Therefore anywhere too far is not ideal. Any ideas?!

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 09:43 AM
Owen O'Neill

If you tell us where you live it will be much easier to know what is "not too far"!

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 10:05 AM
Ilaria

Sorry, I live in Hoboken, NJ!!!

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 12:54 PM
Paul Rabe

Check out Florida after the winter/spring break crowd leaves (i.e, about April or so). Specifically, check out renting a car after you take the train down to, say, Daytona. Rental car companies are so desperate to get cars from Florida to anywhere, after the winter season, that you can often pick up a car in Florida and return it elsewhere with NO drop off fee! And, since Florida lodging is virtually empty after the rush, lodging is fairly easy to find. So check on when a specific motel ends it "high season" rate, and then try to go there at that time.

Old Dec 17th, 1998, 01:55 PM
Beth

Maybe Myrtle Beach in South Carolina? It's even closer than Florida, and the weather gets pretty nice there early. Great beach, sun, golf...

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 05:38 AM
Lisa

I second the South Carolina coast. My preference is in the Charleston area. BEAUTIFUL!

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 12:59 PM
wes fowler

Ilaria,
I'd suggest Charleston, South Carolina, particularly around St. Patrick's Day. Weather is warm, city is charming and partying is at St. Pat's tradition. Been to both Charleston and Savannah for St. Patrick's Day, both knee deep in beer cups at 4 in the afternoon; by 9 at night, Charleston was immaculate; took days for Savannah to get cleaned up. Go for Charleston.

Old Dec 18th, 1998, 06:29 PM
Linda

By flying, San Antonio, Texas, is hours away. Will Rogers said that SA was 1 of the 5 unique cities in the US. It has a combination of German, Hispanic & Texan culture. The Riverwalk is great fun with eating places, pubs, etc. & ride on small crafts to tour via the waterway. The Mariachi Mass at Mission San Jose is very nice for noon on Sunday & there are 4 other old Spanish missions. The Alamo is, of course, a shrine in Texas. There are 3 amusement & theme parks (6 Flags, Sea World & Fiesta Texas). If you are there at the end of March (end of winter your time--spring ours), you can drive 1 hour northwest & see the most beautiful wildflowers ever as well the German influence. Austin is 1 1/2 hour north on I-35. Great shopping, walking, friendly people!! (and I don't even live there any more). If you go the week of April 21 (San Jacinto Day), there are 3 parades (river, day, night), Night in Old San Antonio (food, drink, fun in La Villita), & fun everywhere. Hope you find a good place & have fun!