Where to Eat This Friday Night in Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be up in Boston for the night this coming Friday and are looking for a good place to eat. We've previously enjoyed meals at B&G Oyster Bar, Island Creek Oyster Bar, Butcher Shop, Hamersley's, Matt Murphy's Pub, Prezza, Ten Tables JP, and Hungry Mother. We're looking for another enjoyable meal, but want to try a new place. Any suggestions based on our past restaurant selections?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM

You've been to some excellent spots in past.

Neptune Oyster in the North End is an excellent standard seafood place in the manner of B&G or Island Creek. Kingfish Hall in Faneuil Hall is pretty good of this type as well.

For upscale Northern Italian in the North End, Mamma Maria is the closest option you'll get to Prezza, again excellent. Taranta is an unusual place here that mixes Italian and Peruvian influences but really makes this odd combination work well. Other very worthy Italian spots in this neighborhood include Marco (creative Italian comfort food, a little bit upscale), Daily Catch (Southern Italian seafood, a little more downscale), Maurizio's (Southern Italian, a little bit upscale), and Pagliuca's (traditional Southern Italian, a little more downscale).

East Coast Grill in Inman Square is excellent, doing both some of the region's best BBQ and islands-influenced seafood. Rendezvous in Central Square is a worthwhile neighborhood place in the mould of Ten Tables. Oleana in Cambridge is another solid local place, a Mediterranean-inspired spot where one can get vegetarian and non-vegetarian fare as well as excellent desserts. I liked my one meal at EVOO (also like Ten Tables) when it was in Somerville -- it has apparently moved since then to Cambridge.

Matt Murphy's is a bit of an anomaly, a pub with excellent and inventive eats. The closest analog I can think of is River Gods in Cambridge -- it too serves both vegetarian and non-vegetarian fare. The Delux Cafe in the South End also isn't a bad choice.

If more ethnic options are of interest, in Cambridge consider Helmand (Afghan), Atasca (Portuguese), or Elephant Walk (Cambodian and French, also in Brookline and Waltham). All are mid-range, not downscale and not ultra-fancy.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Sel de la Terre in Back Bay is very good.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:19 PM

I like Sel de la Terre as well. I've been there twice in the past 4 months.

Another couple of places that aren't new but are still very good: Sorellina and Troquet. I've been to Troquet many times and it's always dependably very good and I just recently went to Sorellina for the first time. It was excellent. The dining room is quite elegant so it's a little dressier than the other two places I mentioned but it's not stuffy at all.

I notice you haven't been to Craigie on Main yet. Based on your other restaurant selections that might be a good choice for you. It's in Cambridge. You may have trouble getting a reservation at this late date however. Try www.opentable.com.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
yk

I'm a big fan of Erbaluce in Bay Village.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM
yk

P.S. I've eaten at all 3 Sel de la Terre locations a number of times; IMHO, there are many better restaurants in Boston for the same amount of $. The same goes for Petit Robert Bistro: so-so but not spectacular.

I also like EVOO (only been to the old location, not the new), and Bergamot (which took over the old EVOO location).

For tapas, I like Estragon in South End. IMO, it's as good as Toro, AND it takes reservations. I no longer go to Toro b/c of the no reservation policy.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:34 AM

EVOO is still good in the new Kendall sq area location. I like the emphasis on local ingredients. We went to Bergamot a couple of weeks ago and love it too.

I have to agree with YK, i've been really underwhelmed by Sel de la Terre in recent years, it was better 5 years ago. Also Petit Robert is very ordinary.

we recently ate at Trouquet, and thought it was excellent. Also Oleana is an excellent suggestion. I like it because the middle eastern influences sets Oleana apart for the seemingly endless French and Italian styles of most Boston restaurants.
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Bookmarking
Old May 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Doesn't the suspense drive you crazy when people don't come back and tell you what they did?