Where to eat in NYC ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Vince

Where to eat in NYC ?

Where to eat in NYC ?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Merilee

Hi Vince...what type of food, price, and atmosphere are you looking for..also any particular area in the city?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Sarah

don't you think this question would be better phrased where not to eat? For me food is very special I would be looking online at menus to make my choices. Sometimes a seemingly popular restaurant like Daniels will only have creamy meat dishes, not for me. You want at least one high end restaurant that suits your tastes.

I would say it depends upon what part of the world you are coming from Vince. We are praised highly for our French and Italian cuisine. Nevertheless, I have been dying to go to Nobu. If you are coming from California I would not try our Mexican or Asian food. I have had better Japanese broths at the LA airport. Ok I know that sounds like an exaggeration it is just that there is this one broth that is seafood based that I have only found in LA airport and Hawaii in several restaurants. I also had a tough time finding green papaya salad (Vietnamese)(Common in Hawaii). You get the picture.

I like Balthazars (steak aupoive)but on a trip in like you are doing I would research also by reading Zagat Survey and find a place that is special for you.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Vince

I am looking for American food ( does such thing exist ?)
Best hamburgers, hot dogs, cold cuts, you get the general idea.
I don't want european food ( I'll go to Europe)or Asian food ( I'll also go to Europe) but real American food...
Tanks

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Sarah

than you don't need us or this post vince.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:53 AM
Vince

Dear Sarah:
Yes I do.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Sarah

Not trying to be flip Vince but it is not too hard to find the kind of food you are talking about. Walk into any dinner for the food and you will be happy. I will add that one long time NY friend said he thought the best burgers (kind of like looking for the best glass of milk in my mind) where at PJ Clarks. I have never been on the quest for the best burger and have never tried PJ Clarks but is located in the 50's on Madison or Lex.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Sarah

Downtown you have Katz deli. They have been in operation since the fifties and are famous for deli sandwiches. There are a number of places in the theatre district that pile on a pound of cold cuts on bread and they charge you $10 for a sandwhich. Again a stroll down bway walk into anyone they are all the same and geared for out of town tourist. Enjoy when you are in a rush this might be just what you need.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Vince

Sarah:
Thanks. May, 2, 2002,12, 30, p.m. I'll be at PJ Clarks ( my NYC hamburger experience).

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Sarah

cute---enjoy

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Merilee

Hi again Vince...Slider's for burgers and Pommes Frites for fries...Bubby's for breakfast, Ess-A-Bagel on 21st & 1st, Papaya King on Lexington for hot dogs, and Copeland's or Emily's in Harlem for authentic southern.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Vince

Thanks Merilee!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Liz

Check out www.citysearch.com (new york) they have a restaurant section. They also list best hamburger, etc..
Have fun!

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Philip

Sarah, a correction: Katz's Deli has been in operation since the 1890's.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:38 AM
jp

Don't know if you are into finding good pizza - if so - John's on 34th is the best in my book.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Vince

About Katz's: what's the name of the movie with Billy Cristal and a non real blonde ?
Harry something ?
Harry and Sally ?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Jessica

Burgers-- got to Corner Bistro or Jackson Hole

Hot Dogs-Gray's Papaya

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:54 AM
xxx

I don't think they were actually in Katz deli Vince at least it does not look like that place. When Harry met Sally.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Philip

Yes they were really in Katz's. If you ask the owner, he'll show you the table that they used.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 07:34 AM
thereuare

I wouldn't recommend PJ Clarks for "your NYC burger." The bar is one of the oldest in NYC (this is a good thing) but the burger is really NOTHING special. Here's my reco's:

Burger- Jackson Hole (3rd ave and 35th St location)

Hot Dog- Gray's Papaya (few locations, there is one on 6th Ave and 8th St... get one whether you are hungry or not)

Pizza (sit down, pies only)- John's on 44th St b/w 7th Ave and 8th Ave. Grimaldi's in Brooklyn (located under the Bklyn Bridge, worth the subway ride, first or second stop in Bklyn, also worth the wait, as there will likely be one!... afterwards there is a "known" ice cream place down by the water's edge, ask somebody around there for name and location, also check out the NYC view from the water after dinner)

Bagels- Essa Bagel on Third Ave ~52nd St

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -