Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where to dine in New Orleans on New Year's Eve?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are from out of state and would like to make reservations somewhere (possibly French Quarter or close by) for dinner and/or entertainment. Any ideas?

It would be for 2 fun-loving married couples (age 38-40). We'd like dinner, and maybe some live music. Doesn't have to be a big place. What are our options?
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM

You want dinner AND live music in the same place?

Most fine dining restaurants won't have live music, and the places that do tend to be more bar-type places, like the House of Blues and the Crescent City Brewhouse. Most people go to dinner and then go looking for music afterwards.

Have you thought about one of the river cruises? I can't speak to the quality of the food, but people love them. I'm sure there will be special NYE cruises with dinner and music.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM

A couple of options:

Try Jacques-Imo's. They will take reservations for NYE, then head next door to the Maple Leaf for music.

Another option is dinner at Cafe Marigny & heading down the block to Snug Harbor for entertainment.

Both are outside the Quarter, but Cafe Marigny & Snug Harbor are closer.

http://www.jacquesimoscafe.com

http://www.cafemarigny.com

http://www.snugjazz.com

http://neworleans.citysearch.com/profile/4430789
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

A lot of restaurants that have the dinner and music too, have the music in a separate room. You can hear the singing from a distance, but you have to walk to a different room (or area) to dance. Sometimes, a restaurant will bring in live music only for New Years Eve. There will be one price for New Year's Eve night, for food, maybe a champagne toast, and music. Maybe New Orleans is different, since it is sort of artsy. Maybe they don't mix it as much. I was just trying to get in food (and possibly a little dancing) w/o dealing with excessive crowds.

You guys have listed some excellent ideas. Thank you. We will check into them.

If I were to go to Snug Harbor or Maple Leaf for music (after dinner), wouldn't it be so packed on New Year's Eve that I would even have trouble getting into the door? I'm imagining the influx of people in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl, in addition to all the local residents. I wonder if we would be stuck out on the street once we left the restaurant.

Where's the best place to be in New Orleans at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve????
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Dan

"Cafe Marigny" became Marigny Brasserie five or six years ago. I agree that it's great food--you just won't find the old name any longer! It's at the corner of Frenchmen and Royal.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks Dan, I forgot about the name change.

kippy6: If you're concerned about getting crowded out, you can buy tickets in advance at Snug Harbor.

Another idea I just thought of is Rosy's Jazz Hall http://www.rosysjazzhall.com

In the past, they had NYE parties with food, open bar & a band. We had our rehearsal dinner there so I can vouch for the food. There's nothing about New Year's listed on the website, but if you give them a call, I'm sure they can give you details.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Buddy Guy is playing the House of Blues on NYE. That's where I'd want to be if I were in NO. I think there are still tickets available.
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 06:27 AM

My wife & I love the Commander's Palace and go there every time we visit New Orleans. Check it out at www.commanderspalace.com .
Old Dec 20th, 2007, 07:43 AM

You asked for music but then changed it to dancing. In most cities, the only places that are large enough to have a dance floor are hotel dining rooms. Years ago I spent a NYE at the Windsor Court hotel with live music and dancing. It was very nice but I don't know what it's like now.

If you just want some live music, Mr. B's is a very good restaurant with live music.