Reload this Page >

Where to dine in Maui and Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 1998, 08:15 AM
Kim Weiss

We are going to Maui and Kauai for our honeymoon and would love recommendations on restaurants to go to for dinner. We love all kinds of foods, especially seafood. Thank you

Old May 13th, 1998, 09:35 AM
kam

On Maui in the town of Lahina there is a restaurant across the street from the ocean in the middle of the main street. It has an Italian name, I think. Sorry to be so vague, but it's been a while and I'm not great with names to start with. There is also a bigger seafood restaurant on the ocean side but it's more touristy. Also, go to the Pineapple Plantation and plan to eat as the sun goes down--it's over near Kapalua and also eat at Kapalua Resort. Hope this helps. We spent our honeymoon in Hawaii too but on the Big Island--it's a great idea there's just enough to do but not too much. Congratulations.

Old May 13th, 1998, 12:27 PM
sgorces

Don't miss the Hailimaile General Store restaurant. It is not far from Kuhului a mile or so off the Haleakala Highway. It is a Maui best. Roy's Kahana or Nicolina (same location in Kahana shopping area) is excellent. The baked chocolate souffle is romance itself. Hula Grill at Whale Center in Kaanapali is great. The barefoot bar features a small beachside hula show that gives you a great Hawaiian feel. Mama's Fish House is raved about but expensive. Maalea Waterfront restaurant is highly rated but I haven't been there. Check the other Maui eats listing below for some good low price options. Have a happy life together!

Old May 14th, 1998, 05:02 AM
ANN

On Kauai we loved eating (many times) at Brennecke's Beach Restaurant, in Poipu. Casual, open to the palm trees and ocean, and grrreat food and service. The Beach House is very ladedah, expensive and stiff, but a beautiful location. We went once but wouldn't go back twice. On Maui, do go on the Maui dowhill bike ride, it's awesome, safe and a real
memory, then eat at the lovely restaurant where most bike tours start and stop before you get off the volcano. ALOHA!

Old May 14th, 1998, 12:32 PM
jeff

We ate at a wonderful restaurant in Kauai that was formerly a plantation and is located in a beautiful house...and of course i can't remember the name of it...will check my journal and report back. We love the Hula Grill in Whaler's Village in Maui..along with Lahaina Coolers on a side street in Lahaina. Cheeseburger in Paradise is great fun.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 05:48 PM
barry

I beleive the restaurant the above is referring to is on the Kiahuna Plantation and I think is called Piatti. We have one in San Diego too. I rcommend Roy's on Kauai as well as Lihue Schoolhouse, actually I'm not 100%25 certain that that was the name but its close.

Old Jun 6th, 1998, 06:15 PM
Colleen

The Italian resturant is Longhi's and it's great. Also the Hula Grill in the Whaler's Village is a great little spot, great music to dine by. One more to try is The Lahania Fish Company. We were there for a vacation in March and were not disappointed at any resturant we ate at. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 03:21 PM
jg

The Bay Club at Kapalua, Maui---SUPERB!

Old Jun 17th, 1998, 08:40 PM
brenda

Kauai--Best restaurants are A Pacific Cafe in kapaa, Beach House Restaurant in Poipu, Roy's in Poipu. If I had to choose, I would go to the Beach House as it far outshines the other 2 for atmosphere and location. The other two are located in shopping malls. The Beach House is right on the water and having dinner there at sunset is fantastic. They open up the sliding doors and you feel like you are outside. The same chef that owns A Pacific Cafe also runs the Beach House so the food is as good as A Pacific Cafe but you have the added atmosphere. Don't we all go to Hawaii to be by the beach and water. Also, the food is fantastic. Try their signature Mahi Mahi dish. You will die.....

Maui--I'd suggest Mama's Fish House, outside Paii, which is not far from the airport. We also like the following restaurants in Lahaina: Longi's, David Paul's, Gerard's. There are lots of others too. Lahaina is fun at night and just try out a few places. I am sure you will find a few that you like.

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 12:35 AM
Sarah

Aloha! We live on Maui and of course have eaten at a lot of the restaurants. My number one restaurant is Mama's Fish House. It is a bit expensive (splurge you're on vacation!)but the food is fantastic. We go there for special occasions. Some other restaurants we enjoy are Nicholina's and Roy's. We also like Eric's Seafood Grotto, Basil Tomatoes. (Sorry but Longi's is way overpriced $50 for pasta!) Hard Rock Cafe is good, Aloha Mixed Plate, Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co., BJ's Pizzaria, Outback Steakhouse, Kimo's... There really are so many good places to eat! ENJOY!

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 04:54 AM
Debbie C

Aloha!

In Kauai, be sure to stop at Tahiti Nui's in Hanalei for a wonderful dining experience. Very old Hawaii. My Hubby & I begged them for their signature drink recipe, "Green Kauai". Try one and you'll be hooked!

In Maui, my favorites are Avalon in Lahaina (open air eclectic dining in a very artsy, fun ambiance, with a Pacific Rim flair, Halimale General store is exceptional by Haleakala, and any Roy's restaurants are the "Wolfgang Puck's" of the pacific! I hear Mama's Fishhouse and the Pacific Grill in Kihei are top notch, but haven't tried them yet!

Enjoy!

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 12:34 PM
jean kauper

would love the name of that restaurant on kauai if you remember it!

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 10:25 PM
Marla

For: Jeff, that restaurant is Gaylord's at Kilohauna Plantation, it is great and is where I had my Wedding luncheon in fact. Others that are good to try: Kintaro's for wonderful Japanese food and atmosphere, Dukes for great food of all kinds, esp. seafood & steaks, they have a HUGE salad bar, A Pacific Cafe is good, but last time I was there the portions were small and service SLOW, maybe it was an off nite. Hanalei Bay Resort has a good restaurant for breakfast & lunches. In Hanalei, try Zelo's for informal dining and good food. Enjoy!

Old Jul 10th, 1998, 06:08 PM
Robin

I also recommend Brennecke's Beach Restaurant on Poipu Beach (Kauai). The main restaurant in a hotel called the Waiohai, also on Poipu Beach, is wonderful. The food is out of this world and the view is spectacular. Great place to watch the sunset!! I can't remember the name of the restaurants but any we went to in Lahaina were great. Have a wonder time.

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently got back from Kauai where I spent my wedding, honeymoon, and birthday so we ate out frequently. As you're driving into Lihue you'll see a restaurant that says #1 Restaurant. We got gutsy and tried it-it was the best food we had on Kauai and also the best priced. #1 serves Hawaiian plate lunches and also traditional american chinese food-they serve up large portions,the service is quick and the food is excellent-even the locals eat here--be sure to try the teriyaki chicken. The Plantation Gardens located on the Sheraton resort grounds served foods with a polynesian flair-food was pricey and didn't have much flavor. Also in the Poipu area is the Poipu Beach Broiler which serves excellent burgers, steaks, etc for a reasonable price. Make sure to ask for the bar menu which offers the lowest prices and serves more bar type food. One restaurant not to go to is the Poipu Tropical Burger. We ate there for lunch--the service was incredibly slow. they ask you how you want your burger cooked but then they cook it well-done, which means they burn the hamburger. Had to ask for the drinks we ordered after we received our meals and the food is overpriced. Forget the local reviews--the food is terrible. If you venture outside the POipu area heading toward Hanalei Bay you'll drive thru Kapaa. Make sure to stop and have lunch at the Noodle House. THe Noodle house serves all kinds of Thai and Vietnamese dishes for reasonable prices. The food is great-good flavor and good prices-it is also another local restaurant so it also gives you hearty portions. If you're in the mood for a luau try the Coconut Coast Luau at the Marriott Courtyard hotel. While the setting is not as nice as some of the other luaus, this luau serves the best food I've ever had at a luau. The show is good and the price is average for a luau. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get there as it is quite a drive from Poipu. hope this helps
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM

As a Kaua`i resident, I can see that it's time for an update on Kaua`i dining -- since some of the restaurants mentioned have closed, or changed management/menu/etc.

Pacific Cafe -- closed (and was never affiliated with the Beach House, BTW)

Brennecke's -- view is lovely, but quality of food/service is really chance-y

Beach House -- same as Brennecke's, plus it's pricey. Bar menu is great, and you get the same view! 8-)

Lihu`e Schoolhouse?? -- not on Kaua`i

Tahiti Nui -- fun for a drink, but not for the food. Kitchen is a one-person operation, serving bar food.

#1 Restaurant -- this is just one of the several good plate lunch places on the island. Typical menu includes offerings of Korean/Japanese/Hawaiian/Chinese foods. Locals also like Pono Market and L&L Drive-Inn (Kapa`a).

-- auntie maria

Old Nov 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM

I enjoyed Coconuts in Kapaa',Kaua'i.I had Ono and it was wonderful.The Poipu Beach Broiler was also good.The Kountry Kitchen for breakfast.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:06 PM

What about Tomkats in Koloa? Is it stil good for dinner? We loved the un-fancy laid-back atmosphere, the food, and drinks. Cats are ok, as long as you're not allergic to them as they make tableside appearances.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM

p.s. I wonder how Kim's honeymoon turned out??
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Auntie Maria, thank you for all your great recommendations. My girlfriend and I just came back from this beautiful island. She lurked on Fodors and used your recommendations for the plate lunches, which we lived on every day.

Fish Express in Lihue was our favorite. We avoided the real touristy places on the main streets or near the resorts as we knew they'd be expensive with not the greatest food. Always go where the locals go!

Thanks again for you recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -