where to after boston and cape cod?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after the bike trip on cape cod we'll stay in boston 4 days. then where....we have a car for 10 days.
can you suggest a coastal village/s north of boston for 2-3 days from which to explore the area?
can you suggest another village farther north or south for another few days?
thanks for your help.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Plan 1. Portsmouth NH or Portland, ME. Explore the coastal towns and islands.

Plan 2. Wolfborough, or Conway NH. Explore the Lake area and/or the White Mountains.

Plan 3. Newport, RI. Explore the mansions and historical villages.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd suggest somewhere along the coast of Maine, maybe Camden. If you'd like another destination further east, perhaps the area around Acadia. I think Maine has the most beautiful seaside on the east coast. It's much wilder and will present a strong contrast to Cape Cod. As an added benefit, the water is too cold for swimming.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Try Rockport + Gloucester on Cape Ann. Both are on the ocean; Rockport is beautiful and quaint; Gloucester is beautiful -- more or a working harbor. Plenty of restaurants, shops; Virgillio's Bakery on Main Street for the BEST Italian Bread.

Nearby Essex for antiques; Ipswich for fried clams + Gooddale Orchards for the apple cinnamon donut. Continue to Newburyport and on into New Hampshire - I love Portsmouth, too. Take a Harbor Cruise. Eat at local lobster stands.

I would then meander up the Maine Coast; don't know if you have enough time to get to Bar Harbor in a relaxed fashion-but Acadia Nat'l Park is fabulous. Also, Boothbay Harbor is fabulous.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM

I vote for Portsmouth NH and southern coast of Maine and then a visit to the White Mountains. I think Acadia is too far north for a couple of days although it's certainly do-able just a long car ride on rt 95 when you could be doing something more fun in a lot of other places in Maine that are closer to Boston. Camden is a great idea, certainly unique because of the windjammers. If you head to the Camden area I would make Portsmouth NH a stop on the way. It's only about an hour from Boston so you could fit in a harbor cruise and lunch and still have plenty of time to get to Camden.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM

How about Ogunquit Maine? Acadia is one of my favorite places but it's a long ride (5+) from Boston for only a couple of days stay.
You really don't need a car in Boston...in fact, it might be better not to have a car while you are there. Can you go to Boston first, then rent a car and go to the Cape (You really need a car on the Cape)? If you could do that, then I would recommend that you drive to Newport, RI after your week on the cape.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks all for your suggestions. we have enough info to book lodging.
do you have suggestions for lodging? i'll search fodor's of course, but wonder if you have recommendations.
Old Mar 21st, 2008, 08:09 AM

Our favorite place to stay on Cape Cod is the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast in Eastham on the outer cape. Here's why:
1. location, location, location! Fort Hill is the only lodging that is inside the National Seashore, historic house in historic area, scenic ocean views, quiet, secluded but just minutes from entertainment and fine dining. Ocean/Marsh views from the cottage and property. Close to ocean and bay beaches, bike trails and mid-way between Chatham and Provincetown for day-trips. Orleans and Wellfleet are 5-10 minutes away.

2. Very private accommodations, suites or cottage and full gourmet breakfast. Inn keepers couldn't be nicer...helpful but not intrusive.

3. Value is good. No tax or tip so we save 10%-15% over larger inns. Full breakfast means we are not starved by noon. Suites and cottage are roomy, luxurious and welcoming. The ocean views and walks are right out the front door (or glass slider if we stay in the cottage).