Search

Where stay in Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
jwj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where stay in Seattle?

Trying to decide whether to stay at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront or the W. Was told to stay on the waterfront but not sure if the Marriott is what we want. Don't want to spend what the high ends such as Four Seasons charge. Like the size of the W but not sure about its location. Going for 4 nights for a football game. Thanks
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:26 PM

If you're looking for a boutique hotel, have you considered the Inn at the Market?
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
jwj
Original Poster

I liked everything about the Inn at the Market, but it was already booked up when I called. Any more ideas? Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Marriott Waterfront is out of the way, just a tad, but still. It's located below 1st/Western, below the train tracks, but above the waterfront. Not my first pick. Imo, unless you want to spring for the Edgewater, there's not any hotels on the waterfront to recommend.

Since Inn at the Market is booked, I'll suggest: Hotel Andra, the Warwick, Mayflower Park hotel.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM

Of the hotels you name, the W has a great location for shopping, entertainment, dining, and sightseeing If you are attending a football game at Safeco Field, the hotel is within walking distance. If the game is elsewhere, the W is better situated for transportation.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM

We found a great rate for the Fairmont on Expedia a few weeks ago, it's a lovelyt place with an excellent town car service. We have also enjoyed The Hotel Edgewater, the water views are nice at The Edgewater and they also have a shuttle service. Enjoy your time in Seattle! ***kim***
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM
jwj
Original Poster

We are going to a game - at Husky Stadium. Have looked into The Edgewater and not sure about it, either - not the price as it's less than the W. Also realized today the the W isn't a small, boutique hotel, that it has 400+ rooms. But, I do like what I see about the W and will consider The Edgewater. Have about decided the Marriott isn't for us and thank all of yall for your input.

Any tips about the easiest way to get from SeaTac to the San Juan Islands? That's getting tough and I'm confused. We land at 11:00 a.m. on a Saturday and have been told that if we get to Anacortes for 1:30 we will probably be on the 5:00 p.m. ferry. That's such a long day for us. Seaplane seems not to be the answer as the limit is a 24# duffel each passenger. We'll figure it out but just checking.

Thanks again,
JWJ
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM

You might want to make a separate post with the new question, jwj? Since you're now asking about getting from SeaTac to the San Juans, is a very different question than where to stay in Seattle.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
jwj
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze, you are so right. I don't do this enough to know what I'm doing. Will post it in a bit as I'm about to leave home.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I'd stay somewhere more centrally located than the Edgewater, personally. For my taste, the waterfront is too separated from the downtown core and is somewhat of a "tourist ghetto" (along the lines of Fisherman's Wharf in SF).

I'd suggest the Hotel Andra since the Inn at the Market is booked. IMO it's better located than the W and a friendlier place (the W tends to have a bit of attitude which is very un-Seattle).
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM

And I do it (post & read) here way too much -haha!!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM
jwj
Original Poster

Thank yall for all the info. I really loved the Mayflower and liked the Andra but 3 rooms weren't available for all 4 nights at either. Still thinking about Warwick and Fairmont. SUZE - why do you think the W is too out of the way? We've scratched the Marriott but still have the W and just wondering. If we do remain there, hopefully they won't be tooo snooty. We are simply country folks from Louisiana - maybe we can warm them up.
Thanks again,
JWJ

P.S. I had to Google IMO that several of yall replied - I had no idea what it meant! Now I know!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM

jwj~ I said the Marriott Waterfront was out of the way. I don't know a thing about the "W" myself.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
jwj
Original Poster

Suze...You're right again. It was NWWanderer who posted that one. Thanks again!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM

When I vacationed to Seattle in 2005 (I live here now), we stayed at the Hotel Monaco which is just across the street from the W. It's a little bit more of a business-y area, but I don't think it's really out of the way. If you are able to walk, I think you'll find it pretty well located. We were able to walk to Pioneer Square and the Market...but we also walked to the Space Needle and Capitol Hill (although those were *really* long walks).

You are a bit limited in terms of restaurants (for dinner and breakfast) in the immediate surrounding area. There's a Starbucks down the street but otherwise you're going to want to head towards the Market for more action.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Someone on another thread just posted they got Hotel Monaco for $90 thru bidding Priceline.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM

I'm actually staying at the W right now. I think it's quite nice. i booked thru Hotmail and didn't know what hotel I would get until I booked it. I was nervous b/c I read some bad reviews, mainly about the bad attitude of the staff but so far they have been very nice and helpful. The location is very convenient to many places, we have 2 little kids w/ us and have been able to walk around many places. The atmosphere feels a lot like a night club, its very dimly lit and they play music in the lobby. I'm not really into night clubs but it doesn't bother me.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 06:26 AM

I stayed at the W with friends when in Seattle to go to the OSU/Washington game in 07. We got a good price from Travelzoo. We liked being able to party at the lobby bar with tons of other OSU fans staying at the hotel without haveing to walk or drive to another location. I love the Bliss bath products provided and thought the bathroom was spacious making it easy for two people to get ready at the same time.

I walked a few blocks to the Pike Place Market early every morning to watch the vendors setting up their goods after making a stop at the original Starbucks at the market. There are no coffeemakers in the rooms at the W (ridiculous) but you can walk directly across the street from the hotel for a Starbucks fix or a block or so to get java at Tully's. I didn't see much in the immediate area as far as restaurants.

I didn't find the staff overly aloof or friendly at check in. I didn't use the staff as a source of information as I usually think I can get better info via the internet.

I just used Priceline to get a Seattle hotel for Sept. and got the W again. Valet parking is now $43/nt for the W which is probably in line with other downtown hotels. Just something to consider...
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
jwj
Original Poster

amwosu.....thanks. On another note when you went to the game how did you get to the stadium? We didn't find out about "sailgating" early enough to get space on any of the boats. Wondering how difficult it is to get taxis after the game. As of now we have booked a town car or suv to take us to the game and pick us up. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM

You can walk to the stadium from the W or many downtown hotels. I second The Fairmont, awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -