Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should we stay when visiting The Redwoods in CA?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!!

My husband and I are taking a trip to Napa this July. We will be there for 4 or 5 days.

We would then like to explore the Redwoods for 2-3 days.

Where should we base ourselves to see the beautiful giant Redwoods? Any recommendations for lodges or B&B's? We don't need super-fancy places, just clean, nice accomodations that will allow us to get out and traverse the area.

I am having trouble finding info on the websites...

We don't mind a drive, and plan to spend our couple of days just walking amongst the trails of the Redwoods.

Thank you so much for any info you can provide!!
Old May 8th, 2003, 08:50 PM
L

I highly recomend the wonderful artsy town of Occidental. It is small with three big Italian Restaraunts, and tripple A hotels. I assume you are going to visit the redwoods around the river area, and wineries of the northern region since you are going to Napa.
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:47 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
There are relatively few places to stay actually within the redwood groves. Many folks stay around Garberville at the south end of the National Park area, others near Eureka or Crescent City at the north end. There's a road parallel to US 101 north of Garberville called "Avenue of the Giants" with many accessible groves, then there are wonderful groves around Orick and Klamath north of Eureka.

The little town of Ferndale offers a number of cutesy B&Bs that would enable you to head either north or south for day trips to the groves, or provide decent access to the Lost Coast area (pretty remote and scenic stuff). It's a little south of Eureka, maybe a 4 1/2 hour drive from Napa. Eureka has plenty of mainstream motels as well as restaurants, shopping centers, all that. For a fun meal (not the greatest food but plenty of it, family style) try the Samoa Cookhouse in Samoa across the bay from Eureka. Great logging photos and memorabilia as well as iceberg lettuce salads and mandatory ice cream.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:56 AM
GP

Hi lovetravel

If you just want one base the Eureka is the place. It is mid way between the southern redwoods groves of Humboldt Redwoods State Park and the northern groves of Redwood National and State Parks. The Red Lion or the Eureka Inn are not bad. Better yet explore the south stop in Fortuna / Eureka for the night Then drive north and spend the night in Crescent City. There are some ocean front places up there.

Have Fun
GP
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:20 AM

There is also lodging in Guerneville, which is quite close to Napa, on the Russian River. The town is IN redwoods.

The Armstrong redwoods are right there, but you will be able to get to other redwood areas quite easily.

This is not to say that the Eureka area is bad, it's not. It's just a farther drive.
Old May 9th, 2003, 11:47 AM

I agree for such a short trip Armstrong Woods might be best due to travel time. there are places to stay along the river under the redwoods. The village Inn in Monte Rio is one of our favorites. Stop in to the Pink Elephant for a drink if you are out that way. It is an institution.Most of the accomodations are very inexpensive in Gurneville,Monte Rio and out towards the coast. The Farmhouse Inn is really nice and a little more expensive (Forestville) if you want something a little nicer.
Old May 9th, 2003, 12:08 PM
GP

lovetravel

I beg to differ with Bayarea and applejaxs. I have been to Guerneville, on the Russian river and to Armstrong Woods they are nice places but the do not compare with the redwood forests of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties. If you have 2 or 3 days it is well worth the 5 hour drive up here. If you only have a day then staying close to the bay area makes sense. Come on up and enjoy the fog and the tall trees.

Have fun
GP
Old May 9th, 2003, 10:28 PM

I agree totally with poster GP
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:22 AM

I had to laugh at GP's invitation to "come on up and enjoy the fog" - I lived in Arcata for 4 years so I know what he's talking about!

I agree with several other posters about staying in the Eureka area, IF you and your husband plan to see both the northern and southern parts of the Redwoods. Eureka is a good halfway point between the two. There are numerous chain motels in that town (and Arcata).

If you want to spurlge one night, I reccommend the Scotia Inn, just a bit south of Eureka. Comfy and cozy, and the restaurant inside served THE best filet mignon I've ever had.

Enjoy your trip!