Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where should we go in Hawaii with a 1 year old

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are thinking about traveling to Hawaii for spring break (4/7-14) with our just turned 1 year old. My wife does not want to stay in Waikiki, but she thinks Oahu will have the greatest diversity of things for us to do with a one year old. As much as we would love to snorkle, my daughter probably won't float too well, or enjoy sitting on the beach waiting for us to return from the water.

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay (maybe a beach house, or cost effective resort), either on Oahu or elsewhere. She has suggested Lanikai. I thought about the Lahina area. We are not just beach sitters.

What are your recomendations of where to go, what to do with our daughter, and any recomendations on places to stay.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Hence the question regarding recommendations. No, we dont anticipate leaving our daughter on a beach unattended, onr floating her in the ocean. I guess I need to be clear about that.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would think somewhere on Maui, around Lahaina would be a great choice.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally think you have left things quite late to be looking for this spring break. Do you already have your flights?

As for where - w/ a 1 yo it honestly makes almost no difference. She won't be out of your sight or doing anything on her own. She'll just be in her stroller or you carrying her. So go where there are things YOU want to see/do - your daughter will basically just be a tag along.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM

oahu would suit you fine

lanikai and kailua beaches have the calm turquoise waters and white sand that rivals caribbean islands...much more gentle there than most hawaiian beaches, even on other islands

you could look into a rental through vrbo.com

even in that general vicinity (kailua) away from waikiki, there are tons to do there (since you're not much of beach sitters) with a baby too: sea life park, byodo-in, kualoa ranch, waimanola and bellows beach, hanauma bay to the south and polynesia cultural center is relatively close

that whole region with the ko'olau mountains serving as a backdrop is just gorgeous
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Lots of Oahu info:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564