Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where Should We Fly In - L.A. or San Diego?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are going to a conference in Nov. at St. Regis Monarch Beach in Orange County. It is basically in the middle of L.A. and San Diego. We have been to Italy's Amalfi Coast and hear areas of Hwy 1 are similar in beauty. We would like to know for the most scenic (and hopefully safe) drive which would you recommend flying into? Also, in California in November, am I to assume it is spring-like conditions? We are from Canada! Thanks!!1
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM

The coast between San Diego and LA is not the scenic coast of highway 1 north of LA. But you will see more of the ocean coming from San Diego than from LA. Interstate 5 goes along the coast at some point.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM

If you can, fly into Santa Ana in Orange County. The stretch of highway that you are referring to (similar to Amalfi Coast) is about 250 mile north of where you are going to be.

LAX would be my second choice (or 1st if it was significantly cheaper), with San Diego a close second.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

The Orange County airport, SNA, is the one you want to use. Go south on MacArthur Blvd and then south on route 1 to Dana Point. It's only 20 miles.

Second choice would be Long Beach airport, LGB.

The temps will be like spring, yes, figure 70F for the high and 50F for the low. You'll like it.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yep - trust us -- if you are looking for Amalfi Coast-ish, you will be in the wrong part of the state.

The Southern California coast is lovely - but not dramatic/gorgeous/overly scenic. Mostly gentle beaches.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:34 PM
JRP

I love visiting CA- spent the week there last week. I also love visiting Italy.

I don't know of anything in California that resembles The Amalfi Coast.

Doesn't mean that the Left Coast drive isn't beautiful. It's just not as incredible and challenging.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is LOTS of dramatic CA coastal scenery but as frank_and_beans says, it is mostly much fartther north than SoCal.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:55 PM
TahitiTams

La Jolla has some coastline that is very much like the Amalfi Coast..

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

From Canada you might not get convenient affordable connections into SNA, the more convenient airport.
San Diego might be best for you since LAX has been a mess this year with a runway being re-paved etc. It's a nice easy drive from SAN up to the Regis, especially if you have the better part of the afternoon after an early arrival.
The weather will call for a light jacket at night, and an emergency umbrella especially in later November.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:10 AM

joesorce is right. You are not going to have a beautiful drive either way. Go with the direct flight and the best fare. If both are equal, San Diego will have less traffic than LAX.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Ignoring the scenic beauty comments (which have been well answered) if I had a choice to fly into LAX and rent and return a car or to fly into San Diego and rent and return a car -- with the destination half way between the two, there wouldn't be a moment of hesitation. San Diego in a heartbeat!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:17 AM
dmlove

Absolutely ditto what Patrick said -- there is no comparison between the ease of San Diego airport and the mess that is LAX!

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

I agree about the ease of SD but as pointed out earlier I'd take a bit more hassle of LAX if it meant a direct flight from Canada rather than a longer route and layover to get to San Diego.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

HI Everyone:

Thank you all so much. And we'll will have to return to the proper area to get the Amalfi Coast-like scenery next time. Thanks for the education. I can get a flight from Toronto direct to San Diego, so I think that is going to be our choice. Thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM

great choice Angel,

have a good trip.

p.s. don't be surprised when you have to go through the border checkpoint about 35 miles north of San Diego. They are looking for illegals aliens and to be non-PC specifically Mexicans. They are there 50% of the time. If they are there just slow down and they will almost always just wave you on through.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Direct? Or non-stop? Add me to the list that would probably prefer a non stop to LAX than a flight which had a stop or changeover on the way to San Diego.
I did a quick look at Orbitz and didn't see any non stops from Toronto to San Diego -- but maybe there are.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi. Air Canada and United both fly direct/non-stop to San Diego. I just booked some people going in October for my husband's work. I would also choose a direct/non-stop flight as my first choice. But thanks for checking!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
dmlove

AngelFace, direct and non-stop are not the same thing, so we're all just wondering which it is. Direct, as in you stop but don't get off the plane (same plane continues to your destination after stopping) or non-stop?

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 09:17 PM

These days, direct means nonstop. AC has only 1 nonstop a day to San Diego but has 5 daily nonstops to LAX.

An itinerary that includes United is going to have a connection. If you are going to connect then definitely check for fares to Orange County, SNA.

You could also fly into Carlsbad on United. That's only 30 miles from Dana Point.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 11:43 PM

AngelFace, how are your plans coming? I have lived in southern Cal most of my life. I have been up and down the whole California coast. I have also been on the gorgeous Amalfi coast.

In my opinion, you need to get up north of Santa Barbara to start seeing some beautiful coast. Love Monterey coastal area.

La Jolla (San Diego area) is beautiful and one of my favorite places to hang out. However it is NOT the Amalfi coast.

LAX is someplace I avoid like the plague...unless we have to drive there for the convenience of getting a nonstop international flight.

Hope you find what you are seeking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -