Where should I take a vacation?

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I take a vacation?

Help! I want to take a vacation next year (probably midMay) and I'm trying to figure out where to go. I'm all about budget vacations so staying somewhere cheap and eating peanut butter is ok with me, I'm just really interested in the location and the activities.

I only have about $1000 to spend and would like to take a vacation for 5 to 7 days. If I had more money I'd want to go to Hawaii, Caribean, or Mexico as I enjoy nice beaches, snorkeling, diving, sailing, cruises, canoeing or kayaking.

Any suggestions where would be a good place to vacation in the US?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't rule Hawaii out of the picutre. Oftentimes, MLT vacations offer packages for under $1000 to Oahu. I have may friends that have done this so I would keep your eyes peeled.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Try something all-inclusive. Shop around for rates as the vary among different websites. Funjet or Apple Vacations may be your best bet. I've noticed that ATA Vacations offer some pretty good prices too. I'm sure you could find a deal for under $1000.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Don't rule out the Caribbean.
There are frequently excellent deals to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and to Cancun that are cheaper than going to Key West, FL.
You are not going to find beaches and snorkeling anywhere in the US that compare to the Caribbean.
For instance, there is a town south of Cancun called Akumal that has GREAT snorkeling, a gorgeous beach, some nice restaurants, friendly people and a laid back vibe where you can find nice oceanfront condos and/or rooms for less than $100 per night.
Some are $40 or $50 per night in the off-season.
Or, you can go just a bit further south to Tulum and stay in oceanfront cabanas just steps from the water for $20 or $30 per night.
For a little nicer, go to Playa del Carmen and spend $75 to $100 per night.
Stunning beaches, international crowd, fun night life, great restaurants.
Look at locogringo.com to see where/what I am talking about.
At any of these places in Mexico, it is easy to eat for $30 per day or less and stay in nice oceanfront places (most with pools) directly on the Caribbean for much less than a well-worn condo in the States on a beach with cigarette butts in the sand and murky water.
(Not to say there aren't some really nice beaches in the mainland States - there are - but imho they don't compare with the Caribbean.)
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:40 AM

Even if you eat only peanut butter, $1,000 is really pushing it - all the activities you enjoy cost $$$.

Good luck.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Leona is right, but there are places (esp. in the DR) where all of the activities are included.
It might not be 5 star, but hey, it beats not going
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I remembered a couple other reasons why I was thinking a vacation within the United States this year. I am female and will probably be traveling by myself which would make me uncomfortable going out of the country. Also as I've been to Hawaii before (and absolutely love it) the plane ride is very long so if I went there I'd probably want to go longer then 5 to 7 days which would blow my budget I'm sure!

So, does anyone have any ideas for the US that might be fun?
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:11 AM
GoTravel

May is just getting out of peak season for South Florida so that may be a thought.

Have you looked at vacation packages on priceline? You would probably get more bang for your buck and may just end up in Hawaii, the caribbean or Mexico.

Are you on the east or west coast?

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm in the Midwest. I haven't looked at Priceline.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM

One of the cheapest places to go is Bavaro Beach in the Dominican Republic-all inclusive. For whatever reason, the Domincan Republic is inexpensive,but great for weather and activities. You might check into a cruise with Carnival....inexpensive, all inclusive, and an opportunity to get off at various islands to do your own thing. I give my parents a 4 day cruise for xmas every year and pay no more than 700 for everything for both of them. Why do you want to stay in the US when so many other places are cheaper and more interesting.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:32 PM
MightyIsis

Dear Maui -- try Playa del Carmen (flying to Cancun). If you plan ahead, you should be able to get a good airfare to Cancun. I stayed at the Shangri la Del Caribe, a nice place on the beach in Playa, and the price included breakfast and supper all for $155 USD per night, and that was in March, which is still considered "in season". May will be even cheaper. It was very nice and I did not feel at all unsafe being by myself.