Reload this Page >

Where is Grand Geyser?

Search

Where is Grand Geyser?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 02:46 PM
george

Where is Grand Geyser?

Okay, I know that it is in Yellowstone. At least that is what I am told, but where? I even sent away for info and maps from the park and it is not on their map. Any info? Is it worth seeking out? Thanks

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:03 PM
ALF

Grand Geyser is located in the Upper Geyser Basin, just a short walk from Old Faithful. Grand is considered to be one of the most spectacular geysers, with at least a 75-100 foot tall main plume. One book calls Grand the tallest predictably erupting geyser in the world. Eruptions can last from 10-30 minutes, but are not nearly as predictable as Old Faithful. It usually erupts every 9 hours, plus or minus 2 hours. You might therefore have to wait as long as 4 hours to see Grand, but it is definitely worth the wait! Go to the visitors center in the Upper Geyser Basin, and they will give you the most recent prediction, which could be more accurate than the one listed above.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Barb

My husband and I are planning a trip there too. Is the hike long? Is it an easy trail? We are older and can't do much climbing.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 10:50 AM
ALF

The walk to Grand Geyser is less than half a mile on a flat boardwalk. The boardwalk runs in a series of loops around the Upper Geyser Basin, and includes a small interpretive booklet.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Dayle

We watched an eruption of the Grand Geyser a few years ago. It was really spectacular, but it was a LONG wait, about 3 hours past predition. Mother Nature does things in her own time, but it's usually worth waiting for!