Reload this Page >

Where is a beautiful beach in the US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Kelly

Where will I find a beautiful beach with clear water in the continental US? Someone said Florida but others say it's not so. Please recommend.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Maureen

We lived in Naples,Florida for 8 years.Naples is the Hawaii of the main land. If you want to lay on a sunny quiet beach with soft, white sand and sea shells, I'd recommend it. If you're looking for excitement, it is not the place. Sanibel Island is also nice. The water is not like the Virgin Islands, but it is nice. You might want to check out the Key Largo area of Florida too. I had lots of friends who scuba dived there.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:59 AM
hi

The outer banks of North Carolina are fun- sometimes big surf. The Atlantic Coast of Florida around West Palm Beach and The coast of South Carolina near Charleston.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Leone

White beaches can be found at Treasure Island, FL. It is a great place to tan and swim, and is never crowded. If you are learning Italian and interested in Beethoven, then TI is THE place for you. You'll see us on that beach, probably in both April and May, because it will be great weather, and the Gulf will be warm. I'm usually the one with the wrap-around cat t-shirt and head phones, probably with one of the nine cooking. Drop by and say hello, and by all means stay for a cool one if you have time, and we'll watch the gambling boats head out of Johns Pass. The cooler is generally open by 11 a.m. We divert for cubans sometime, but not if the sun is just right ... tanning time is primo, and one may lunch at the office. Surf could be up ... so will catch your act on the beach, and don't forget that boogy board ... it will make an excellent "bar" for the cool ones. Ciao

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Chris

go to the beaches of San Diego County in California, they are the best and the waves are great

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:15 PM
sue

what about good old Fort Lauderdale?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:38 PM
Meg

Seagrove - near Seaside - about 30 minutes east of Destin. And Navarre - between Destin and Pensacola.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 01:23 PM
chuck

I agree with Meg's comments on Seagrove in the Florida pan-handle. To elaborate, you specifically mentioned "clear water." I have vacationed several times in the Seagrove/Seaside/Destin area. With a caveat I'll explain later, the water clarity was amazing. I could literally stand neck deep and see the bottom as if looking through rippled glass. Add this to the incredibly white sand, so fine it has the consistency of sugar and squeaks when you walk. Now the caveat--between April and late May, I experienced a "green tide." That is, sea-weed sloshing about in large quantities for several days, turning the water green. I am sure this was a freak event--perhaps some Floridians could chime in on that. Another incredible beach (state park) a few minutes west of Seagrove: Grayton Beach--towering sand-dunes and a cool funky community (Piccolo's restaurant!).

As to southeast Atlantic beaches from Virginia to at least St. Augustine FL, they're typically wide and the ocean's beautiful & active, but the churning surf does NOT produce clear water.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:10 PM
Susanne

Have you ever heard of Siesta Key? It's near Sarasota, FL and the Siesta Public Beach is about as beautiful as you can find anywhere. It's a long way to the water with not much slope (nearly level). The sand is beautiful white with a texture as fine as sugar. It's a great family beach and a popular place even with the locals. And for a special treat, visit on Sunday evening about sundown to watch the famous sunset, then go to where the crowd has assembled. You'll find drummers there having a 'jam session'. The night I went there must have been seventy or eighty in the 'inner circle' beating drums, shaking tambourines, dancing with castanets, and having a tremendous good time. They drum for hours, till the beach closes at ten o'clock. It's a neat sight to see and hear.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 10:01 AM
need more beaches

I need a great, beautiful, white sand, clear water beach on the mainland. Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, please send more!!

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Armand Audette

For my money, you can't beat the Cape Cod National Seashore on the "bent and twisted arm of Massachusetts" (to quote Henry David Thoreau). It's all sand dunes and ocean waves and not one hotel or motel to be found on the entire Atlantic side of the Cape. If you want an ocean view from your 20th floor hotel room, don't come here.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 02:26 PM
maybe

Didn't you pose this same question last year and weren't there over 100 reponses?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:14 PM
Gene

There are beautiful beaches all along the East coast such as Cape Cod, Virginia Beach, Outer Banks of South Carolina, Georgia, Florida et. al. but they all have seaweed from the Sargasso Sea in the North Atlantic.

I would think therefore, that Gulf and Pacific coast beaches that do not have seaweed would certainly be clearer and there must be some as beautiful as the East coast beaches.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 05:46 PM
OliveOyl

Gene...? Where you been hiding out? The Gulf coast of FL beats/has beaten the East Coast beaches hands down, no contest, seaweed or no, any day. Clear, bluegreen water, white sand--you won't find better in continental US.

I grew up in MA, lived in Va Bch, lived in Savannah (identical to SC's hard packed brown sand beaches) and now live on the Gulf coast of FL. This is Beach Paradise! All we lack are decent sized waves.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Fawn

1) White sand, crystal clear water, smooth water, dreamy

Gulf Coast Florida
Try Seaside... I recommend the HoneyMoon Cottages in Seaside.

2) Beautiful beaches, Just right waves, Watch minnows glisten through the water, reflecting off the sun. Great lil town. Bay with hermit crabs and lil streams just around the block

Try Amagansett NY (East Hampton)

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Rebecca

How about Southern California?? Someone mentioned San Diego, but a little north like San Clemente and Oceanside I think are better. Or even a little further north is Huntington Beach, Malibu, Pismo Beach-they are all great!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 11:47 AM
gwen

Yes So. CA but no to some of the suggestions above...because they are crowded and water not always so clean...Malibu Lagoon has some of dirtiest water around, ditto for Santa Monica Bay...Newport/Huntington beaches are nice but often crowded...Pismo is nice but not sheltered...the author above must not live nearby because failed to mention te best beaches there- hands down, Santa Barbara area. water is clear, especially at the more remote beaches north of town. But So. CA really fails your criteria because sand is not white. Plus definite lack of shells, etc. Paradise Cove in Malibu is nicer than most others there (but you have to pay!). Locals also know Carpinteria state beach is one of the best.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 01:26 PM
Paul

Best one I've seen would have to be Captiva Beach, on Captiva Island, FL. It's about as close to being in Caribbean as you'll get while you're on the mainland.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 04:27 PM
LaTeah

I cross off ALL California beaches --- water is TOO COLD !!!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Hal

I agree with Seagrove, Seaside, Grayton Beach, Navarre and just about anywhere along that stretch of the northwest coast of FL. The "green tide" Chuck mentioned occurs occassionally throughout the year, but seems to happen regulary during late July and August. I'm told is has something to do with water temp and algae.Otherwise, the sands are soft white, and the water goes from clear to turquoise to indigo. Captiva/Sanibel are also good for an island experience, but pricier. Southwest FL's beaches are a little more "tropical", but I would stick to Sanibel/Captiva area. Naples is nice if you are retired and prefer a VERY quiet beach. Also, in southwest FL the water is brackish in a lot of areas. The Keys always have good weather and clear water, but not much in the way of beaches unless you scout out a more remote beach. Even though there are nice beaches in many places of the continental US, I think that select beaches in FL will have what you're looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -