Where in Carolinas for week in fall

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering using a timeshare in the Southeast this fall (late Sept to mid Oct.) The availability we have is in the Asheville area at Foxfire Resort in Pinehurst, in Atlantic Beach, or Lake Marion (Santee?) or Myrtle Beach area.
We will want to golf a couple of days, and are interested in beautiful scenery, hiking and exploring. Nightlife not important. We could do a couple of day trips from wherever we stay as well. Never been to the east, and wonder if weather is good then?
Thanks for any feedback.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM

Sedonaweaver, I am from Central N.C and I can assure you, with absolute confidence, that there is no more beautiful place to be than Asheville in the fall! I am not familiar with Foxfire Resort, but the golf at Pinehurst is stellar. If there is still availability for this time, I am shocked, and urge you to go ahead and book the place, because people come from all over to see the leaves change in this area in the fall. Although the other areas are nice in their own
right, the Asheville area is perfect this time of year and offers lots to do in the way of hiking and exploring the surrounding areas. (In fact, I leave tomorrow to go for the week to the Highlands area of the Western N.C. mountains!)
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 12:59 PM
jw

Pinehurst isn't really close to Asheville ( probably a three to four hour drive). However, there are some nice golf courses in the Asheville/Hendersonville area. That area should be nice that time of year as far as the weather goes.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Don

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the leaves will have changed color yet during the time period SedonaWeaver is talking about. It's possible there would be some color, but most years I think the peak in the Asheville area would be a week or two later than even SedonaWeaver's end date (mid-October). If it turns out they're travelling in late September to early October, I think the chance of seeing much color is pretty low.

Still, with or without changing leaves, Asheville is beautiful. It's the prettiest area (IMHO) of any of the places listed, and the hiking and exploring would be much more interesting in that area than in the rolling hills of the Piedmont (where Asheville is) or the flat areas along the coast (Atlantic Beach, Myrtle Beach). Can't comment on Lake Marion, because I haven't been there.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM

The leaves turned early last year-around mid-September. But with it being so wet here, who knows? It's still the best choice of the four!