Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where can I see a giant cabbage and all huge vegetables in Alaska?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in Alaska in the end of August and want to see in Anchorage, Valdez, Seward, and Homer all famous vegetables. Where are they?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

Palmer area . . . from the Chamber website:

Farmer's, Crafter's and Landscaper's Market is held every Friday through August 25 in downtown Palmer. This weekly market features Valley produce, arts and crafts booths along with live entertainment in historic downtown Palmer.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Oh, and Mama, if I remember your dates correctly, you may be there during the State Fair:

Alaska State Fair
August 24 - September 4
Alaska State Fairgrounds
"A Tradition of Gathering: Gettin' together for Fun"

Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The fair is the place. Set your kitsch filter to high.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

I chose State Fair in Palmer. We 'll driving through Palmer on weekend. Are crowds manageable Saturday and Sunday? jetset, are you going to be there?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I just checked Alaska State Fair's website and I now know I have to go to see 65 pounds world's record cantaloupe, 168 pounds watermelon, 30 pounds green zucchini. Many more. Wow! I better bring my camera. Is there an advantage of buying tickets in advance?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:02 AM

Yes Mama, I may be, with my police quality sunglasses so I can openly stare and gawk.. do not look for me in the bungee chair line.. my oldest son did that a few years ago, and my b.p. still climbs when I spot it..>)
I can be found instead at the funnel cake fan club, with powdered sugar on my nose and a tall male quickly walking away from me,lol.
There are some musical talents as well this year.. Sawyer Brown on 8/24, Ted Nugent( old rocker) 8/24, War 8/27, Josh Gracin 8/28 Jars of Clay 9/2, and Casper and the mighty 602 Band with Pamyua 9/4(no clue what they do)..
I put later acts in for others' benefit, as I know you aen't sticking around that long(though the food booths are tempting)..
Enjoy your trip.. maybe you can wear a funny hat so that I'll know it's you!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

I feel the same way, I just don't fit requirements of many posters here. I don't want to disappoint you. I'm not young, not beautiful, overweight, and not agreeable with all posts all the time. To make it worse I'll be wearing sneakers. I know, I know sneakers are not acceptable. Moreso, I won't be wearing make up. Therefore, I like to keep anonymous for the above reasons. That's why I don't go to GTGs. I don't want to be banned. At least by only posting this board nobody knows how I really look. I agree to a hat. What do you suggest?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

goodness Mama, bring a cheerful attitude is all. My own dear mom went through some comical transformations during her life, and I never cared a whit about her appearance because we had so much fun..(okay, we shared a love of wine since about age 17 on, so that may have been a factor)..plus, she spoke a few languages, so strangers were sometimes accosted and she'd jump right in and make welcome..
I hope you stay healthy and have safe travels. I'm on my way to Anchorage today, so I need to scoot.
We'll figure out the hat dilemna later. Best to you and yours, J.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:22 AM

Mama~ nd one more thing. Diabetes affected my mom's family, so when I get going on my fitness references, it's mostly due to that and not because I'm an "uber athlete". Staying healthy is the best gift to give yourself for life. J.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Mama, for the record, I traipsed all over Alaska in running shoes, hair in ponytail, no make-up, often with a few brightly colored, non-matching jackets on [due to layering - it's so nice to have an excuse!;-)]. I did not find Alaska to be the fashionista capitol-my kind of place- and enjoyed their casual, laid back attitudes!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

jetset, LOL! I don't worry about it at all. This is who I am. My husband of many, many years is still with me. I wouldn't want you to have a wrong image. Did you see my question about fires in Alaska? Check out those hats. Do supermarkets in Alaska carry wine? Where in Anchorage can we buy a French or Californian wines?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM

Mama, I posted an update for you on that fire thread you topped~
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you BayouGal, I got it. I am so bad, I didn't realize I topped an old thread. This a big no no according to authorities on this board. I sincerely apologize. Am I in trouble here?
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

No way! Old threads get topped all the time . . . I recently saw one from 1998 topped and another from 2000. Don't worry about it!