Where are you and what suv are you driving

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems mrlou can't decide what I should buy him for his midlife crisis.....better a car than a dame!!! So who out there loves their car,suv,truck and why would that make mrlou's midlife crisis!!!!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM

Oh gyppie, these damn midlife crises!
Mine sold his business to become a bum
Actually , he bought a car too..It was a BMW 5 series. A big Tank, I loved that car.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Mid-life crisis?

Well mine was incredibly planned. I seriously, seriously considered buying a Jag back in 2001 when I turned 40.

Not one of those silly new ones that are nothing but a Ford Taurus with a fancy trim job. I mean a real Jag pre-Ford.

Instead I took the money and traveled. Europe for 8 weeks that summer. Out west with family and a Niagara Falls/Canada trip too.

Way better then a silly gas guzzler. Just think in that 14mpg behemoth you throw a dollar bill (or more) out the window for every 3 miles you travel.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Well last year I replaced my wonderful, decrepit prehistoric Toyota Corolla with a brand new gas hog Toyota Highlander SUV and I couldn't be happier (except when I go to fill up the gas tank). It's very comfy to drive and ride in, has a nifty GPS system that talks to me, it has oomph when I drive it up the massive hill to get home each day and lots of space to hold all our camping equipment and big box Costco purchases (computer paper, paper towels, furniture, small farm animals... )

DH drives a VW Passat and he totally covets my Highlander...payback for when I coveted his Passat while driving my Corolla
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM

During my mid life crisis, I bought a Range Rover. I've loved it, and am now on my third one. Since I've only put about 10,000 miles on it in over three years, I'm not complaining about the gas guzzling, but I sure love driving it and I feel so much safer when I'm in it. On the other hand, the one we drove from Florida to Alaska in, adding 16,000 miles in one summer -- served us very well -- thank goodness gas wasn't $3 a gallon in 2001.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
J62

Got myself one of each
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Good thing we're not here to learn math from indytravel. Indy, I see your math is letting you down here.

gyppielou - your last statement/question requires a bit of interpretation.
I will answer your title question here :

Where : Santa Cruz, CA.
What : 2004 Yukon XL.
I love all 3 of my cars and I really don't care what mileage they get. I'm also a cyclist (nearing your DH's age) so I feel that I'm balancing something karmic somewhere on this little blue sphere that we all call Earth.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:08 PM

You're right 3secdelay. I'm looking at the overall cost of running a vehicle, not just the cost of gas.

The IRS now gives a 30+ cent per mile allowance for driving a car. Any car. So on average if you drive a fuel efficient car you'll make out a little, if you drive the gas hog you'll pay more.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Bless all your hearts!!! Mrlou can't decide between a Toyota 4runnerlimited or a LexusGx.......no kids, no college, so if he wants a silly gas guzzling suv that screams stupid american.... instead of a dame.......who am I to complain!!! Damn faithful gas hog!!! Gotta love your hog!......dang, now he's ganna wanta.....ooops I wanna Harley!!!!!!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:24 PM

I don't think an SUV will do it, gyppielou. But since you asked, mine is an Acura MDX, which I've had for almost four years now. It's a great vehicle, and looks really cool cruising around Black Butte in central Oregon. Don't ask me to take it offroad for more than five miles, though!

The one regret is not having gotten the same model as ***another poster*** here whose apparently travels at light-speed between Portland and the Oregon coast.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Beachbum--LOL! Wonder if your's is the same color as ***hers***.

I drive a Nissan Pathfinder and love it. DH has a Honda Accord coupe. Both are black. His always looks sporty...but the SUV is usually covered in dirt.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:39 PM
sks

Is he stuck on getting an SUV? We have a couple of sort-of gas guzzlers... a 2005 Acura TL which we are LOVING! And a Subaru Outback wagon... it's been a good car but every other person here in the NW seems to have one.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM
LHG

Well, we have not hit a mid life crisis-yet! I drive a Mercedes 240 wagon, DH drives a jeep grand cherokee.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:55 PM
emd

outside Washington D.C. in Northern Va.

Acura MDX. Fully loaded. Love the talking navigation system- never get lost anymore, and no more looking at mapquest printouts while driving. Quiet comfortable ride, lots of space, and quick fold up/down on the third rear seat. Bose sound. Should have done something like this for myself a l-o-n-g time ago.

DH liked mine so much, he got one too, at age 40, nearing the mid-life crisis.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:58 PM

My sweetie was driving a 1980 Volvo until a couple of years ago. He was quite fond of it. I could never entirely understand why, but perhaps I was missing something. It was missing a few things itself, as it turned out. He eventually sold it for about a hundred bucks.
In a few months we're moving to the other side of the country, and he says he's going to buy a pickup truck. I've got a Toyota Rav4 that I absolutely love, and I think I'll hang on to that for another few years.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:01 PM

I have a Toyota Highlander, which I'm really happy with. Very comfortable, drives easy and has lots of space.

However, I can't help but covet almost anything bigger (must be remnants from time spent living in Texas) - Sequoia, Yukon, Range Rover, Escalade, Navigator - if it's a behemoth, I'm admiring it.

However, in Honolulu the car I have pretty much maxes out the normal sized parking space. Anything bigger would make my (driving) life a real PITA. Not to mention that due to the crazy cost of gas here, it would be parked in the garage much more than it would be driven.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:02 PM

My DH has solved his mid-life crisis by renting a different car on each one of his business trips, LOL!

Everytime he comes home, he just goes on and on about what he likes (or dislikes) about a particular make and model. I know something is brewing in his mind

Meanwhile, at home, he drives a 2005 Passat and loves the gas mileage it gets so I don't think he'd want a SUV. I drive a Lincoln LS -- I got the better end of the deal on that one
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM

We have 3 gas guzzlers, and thre's just my husband and myself. We live on Long Island, NY. We have a 2005 Lincoln Navigator which we love, don't care that it costs over 60.00 to fill. We also have a 2005 Mariner, for running around town, then my baby a new Audi A8L...which I love...it is a gas guzzler, also about 60.00 to fill but how can you hate a car that talks to you, shows you where your going, gives you horoscope and daytime soap updates, warms or cools your butt and massages it at the same time.

My favorite out of the 3 is the Audi A8L, it is fast - I have taken it to 120 mph, luxurious, sporty yet very comfortble with all the gadgets and gizmos. It's also one of the safest cars on the road, 12 airbags and an alunimum body, and monitered by 6 satellites, onstar and voice command. I guess that's bad if you intend to rob a bank. Every time I park it I come out and find someone looking at it. I don't know how much your looking to spend on a monthly payment, the Audi is over $1000.00 month on a lease.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
bamakelly

I have a Honda Pilot. It's fine but I am trading it in next month for a Highlander.

Old Jun 17th, 2005, 07:34 PM

Hi Meesthare, I also have a Toyota RAV 4 and I love it!! I have had all kinds of vehicles but I truly love my RAV more than any vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it on a suggestion of a friend who owns one and loves her. Think Toyota will put us in one of their adverstiments, LOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -