Where are the best Potato Chips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a show on the food channel about potato chips which made me realize that there are still small factories all around the country still pumping out these snacks. I admit, I am a chipaholic. Do you know of a particular place that had locally made chips that are extraordinarily good?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:14 AM

Cape Cod potato chips - you can tour factory in Hyannis. Sadly, though, they were bought out by one of the big snack food manufacturers. Still, they maintain their own character.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also am a chipoholic. I agree that Cape Cod chips are good. I really love "Grandma Utz" because they are fried in LARD! My favorite is Middlewarth Chips. They are made in Middletown, PA. I can't get them where I live now, but became addicted to them while attending Penn State.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Sterzing's potato chips. Made here in Iowa, and not very widely distributed.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:45 AM

Better Made, made in Detroit...the best!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:55 AM

I second Schmerl's advice on Middleworth potato chips. The barbeque flavored ones are fantastic--my favorite. You can buy them in a big, round cardboard tin. I, too, discovered them while attending Penn State.
But their distribution doesn't extend far, at least westward. I've tried repeatedly over the years to find them in western PA, in the area north of Pittsburgh, and have had no luck. (From that area and visit frequently) I'd be happy to hear from anyone who does find them there. Kathy
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There are chips made here in Virginia with a name I can never remember. Rt. something, 60 I think. They have a jalapeno chip that is incredible. Also a very good dill pickle chip.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 03:58 AM

I will try almost anything that says "kettle cooked." The favorite I can buy here is Poore Brothers habanero flavor. The heat provides a bit of portion control, also.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Burdie is refering to the Route 11 potato chips made here in the Valley in Middleton,VA. Middletown is just south of Winchester and north Strasburg offI-81. You can watch the chips being made,sample them, and purchase them at the plant.

Birdie, did you ever ride with Bull Run Hunt?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
No, never been much of a rider. I can take blood from a horse, pick their feet and could probably even anesthetize one if I had to but I haven't ever had the time to put into riding. I did live in the Radnor Hunt area for a few years.
Route 11!!! The BEST chips.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:16 AM
mm

I find the Cape Cod chips to be so hard and crunchy that you can tear up you mouth if you're not careful.

It's not likely that anyone will agree with this choice but I like a store brand from Market Basket (NH and MA) which sells salt-free ridges chips. Real potato flavor.

mm
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Love the Cape Cod Reduced Fat - not for diet reasons, they are just a bit less greasy. Hate that the company was bought out but love that I can buy them at home stores.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I actually am not a fan of the thick cut crispy chips. For me, the best are still Wise Potato Chips - they are very thin, salty and cooked a bit darker than most.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM

Middleswarth bags fill my van when I come back from PA -- sometimes I think all the air inside those bags will make the vehicle levitate! That's for the central PA bred kids -- I'm partial to UTZs but also have great memories of picking up Martin's chips in York County by the tin can, which you could later refill.

B/
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Mike-Sells potato chips.

www.mike-sells.com

They claim to be the oldest chip maker in the US with their original location of Dayton, OH and a second plant in Indianapolis, IN.

Their "Groovy Potato Chips" are an incredible, classic chip. Just the right amount of salt, grease and crunch. Fried in 100% peanut oil. Nut allergy people beware.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Central PA is the best area in the country for potato chips. Within about a 75-mile radius from Harrisburg, you can probably find a dozen or more chip makers.

A couple of hints: The regional supermarkets will have the best selection. The chain 7-Eleven-type stores will not (limited space.) Walmarts (the ones with food) seems to have one or two regional suppliers for chips, but it'll be big bags only.

I think Jim Leff and the guys at chowhound.com have done a paper/booklet on potato chips. There's a charge involved, but you might want to check over there if you're really serious about potato chips.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:20 AM

The Original Maui Kitch'n Cook'd Potato Chips are sublime.

According to chowhound.com: "Mail order (it's very expensive) directly from Maui Potato Chips Factory at 808-877-3652 [email protected]. This is a tiny operation that does mail order as a courtesy when not busy, so be patient (chips could be burning while you speak!).

Jim Leff's Notes: The many Maui and "Hawaiian style" chips on the market are all ripping off Mark Kobayashi, the genius behind Original Maui Kitch'n Cook'd Potato Chips. The imitators don't even come close. In fact, nothing does.

You'll never see this brand on the mainland (every GREAT once in a while they crop up in California, but such appearances are rarer than comets). You can hardly find it in Maui; the chips sell out as soon as they're delivered to stores. The brand, despite its legendary status among aficionados, remains scarce and obscure because they produce only in very small quantity, steadfastly refusing to expand. Instead, they do things as they've been doing them for decades, and the result is the world's best potato chip. They're like steaks - so huge and thickly cut, you'd think them comical if you weren't moaning in ecstasy. Massive roasty potato flavor, deep dark brown, snatched from the oil just in time by an omniscient hand."

Yum!

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:21 AM

I like all of the ones mentioned on here so far (although I've missed the Rt. 11 ones). We used to have a chip guy come to our office in Louisville & we could buy big tins of chips but I don't recall the name. Maybe someone can help ? They were awesome.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Was it Tom's?
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 06:54 AM

Cape Cod chips are my favorite, too. Particularly the reduced fat. They're a bit better for you (no trans fat) and, like Starrsville, I think they taste better than the original. I love how crunchy they are. My DH likes the salt and vinegar variety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -