When to visit Shenandoah Nat'l Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be spending some significant time in Northern Virginia in coming months, and would love to make a trip to Shenandoah. My problem is that I'll be spending Jan - Mar in the area, and will then be gone.

My question is this: Is any of the park open if I go in early or mid March? Can I do any hiking, or will it still be "winter" at that elevation?

I'm used to bitterly cold weather, so that doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about trails not be passable or stuff just not being open.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM

http://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

This should provide a little info on the Park. You may also want to check out the SkyLineDrive. VA is not all that cold in Feb and Mar... then again it could be!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

one more try.....
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Check with the park direct.
They are the only ones that will have first hand information as to the day to day conditions in the park. It would not hurt to check the WX channel either.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 06:28 AM

All of the Skyline Park Drive will be open unless there is snow or ice that makes it dangerous. If the warm weather stays, I would encourage you to drive at least some ot it. There are no services available but that just reduces the crowd. There is a decent map on their website where you will see that there are entrances at regular intervals. I think that the drive is painfully boring and I would recommend that you focus on the section between Big Meadows, Skyland and the Lewis cabins. The hiking is spectacular. Very early last spring, I sat alone on Skyland's back porch and watched deer grazing for hours.Within 10-20 miles of these entrances there are gas and food facilities. Front Royal, Luray and Harrisonburg are nice small towns. Keep in mind that Charlottesville is an easy drive on the east side of the Drive.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM

You will be able to hike during these times--we do it regularly (VA mountains are not that high). It is winter in the area but the weather is unpredictable. We hiked in 60-some weather on New Year's Eve and lately it's vacillated between upper 60s and freezing.

Shenandoah Park is beautiful and even if the Skyline Drive is closed, you can still get to the park easily from NoVa via other routes.

What kind of hiking are you looking to do (length, strenousness, etc)? Are you going to do any camping?
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I only wish I could go up there today (50 and sun!).

My hiking will be light... maybe 2-3 hours. I'm fit and don't mind some cold, so as long as there isn't a foot of snow I'll be fine.

Any suggestions on sections of the trail to hike? (Skyland has been mentioned... others?)
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:10 PM

topping to reply later

Also Fodors admin.- Can this get moved into the Virginia section, too??
--it keeps getting buried in this generic US section.