Reload this Page >

Wheeling, West Virginia area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 06:42 PM
Marie

Our local Senior Citizens group has planned a trip in November to Wheeling. Attractions to be visited include Mansion Museum, Glass Museum and Craftsman Center, Winter Fantasy Laser Show, model train display, a guided driving tour of the Festival of Lights in Oglebay Park. Has anyone visited this area and/or attractions. We are seriously thinking of signing up. Your comments please. Thanks in advance

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Alex

Marie:

Amazing. As a kid, I used to walk to Oglebay Park.

The Mansion Museum also is part of Oglebay Park, which actually is a wonderful resort, but better in the summer. It's primary attractions are the golf courses, the beautiful picnic grounds, bridle trails, etc.

On the other hand, it's still very pretty during the fall. November is a nice time in that area. The Festival of Lights was put in several years ago and has grown to epic proportions. My sister never misses it, and highly recommends it. The Mansion Museum is interesting, and the grounds are worth exploring. The old amphitheater in back brings back a lot of memories. The adjacent greenhouses used to be open to the public, but I don't know if that's still true. I assume the model train display is the one I saw in the park during my last visit; it was nicely done.

I don't know about the Glass Museum; I've been to several back there, and I don't know what's changed lately.

The park has a nice lodge and many cabins. If you're lucky enough to be staying there, I envy you. Otherwise, you're probably staying out by I-70 and bussing into the park. If you get to tour downtown Wheeling, notice the old suspension bridge--the first built over the Ohio River. Wheeling is, unfortunately, a post-industrial dying city. Olgebay is, by far, it's major attraction. There are some beautiful old homes in town, originally built by steel executives and financiers--but that was a long time ago. You'll probably notice the area as you approach the park.

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Marie

Alex, thanks very much for your comments. Sounds like a fine place to visit, and based on what you've told me, I think we'll go ahead and sign up. Any other comments, readers?? Thanks

Old Jul 8th, 2000, 07:03 AM
Susan

I would recommend going to hear the Wheeling Symphony in concert. They
are excellent, and their conductor,
Rachael Worby, is a real dynamo. They do a wide variety of programs, so see if
their offerings in November hold any interest for you. Have fun!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:25 PM
Anon

I was born in Wheeling and raised in the area.

The Jamboree at the Capitol Music Hall might be worth looking into as well. They have name talent every week.