Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and Where Were You Warned Not to Travel, Yet Loved Anyhow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's officially cocktail hour here in the islands and I'm currently sitting on my patio, watching the sun go down over the azure Caribbean Sea, surfing the net wireless on my new noteook computer (a totally new and awesome concept for me), listening to classic Fleetwood Mac on my system and enjoying a glass of Pinot Grigio from the Veneto. Life just doesn't get any sweeter than this considering I'm leaving for Venice in three more weeks and just returned home from an awesome week of work and shopping in Miami. I think it's the first time I've actually gotten high from shopping in a few years.

Speaking of Venice, when my DH and I were going to travel there to renew our wedding vows, a few people commented to me, "Isn't it going to be smelly?" I was a bit concerned by their comments, but took them with a grain of salt since none of them had been to Venice themselves to find out firsthand. So, I researched the "aromatic issue" here on Fodors and decided to go ahead with our plans and was not a bit disappointed. We never noticed any unusual aroma other than the smell of the sea on occassion, which we are used to with living on an island anyhow.

So, the question tonight, courtesy of Faina, is where were you warned not to travel, but loved anyhow?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM

First, where do I sign up for Statia's life?

I was warned not to go to Turkey and Egypt and I loved both, especially Turkey. (And I also got the Venice warning, and I loved it there was well).
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It is still a little early here in CA for cocktails, but later I will relax with a glass of Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc/Viognier. About 15 years ago we were planning a trip to Spain to visit long-lost relatives. My boss at the time said good thing because Spain is great, but don't ever go to Italy - it is so disgusting, dirty and the guys will be trying to pinch you etc. Four years later we went to Italy and, of course, it was wonderful and it is our favorite place to visit -- particularly Venice.

Salute',

MY
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

pdxgirl, there are plenty of downsides to small island life, as well. For instance, getting to go shopping only twice per year.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Hi Statia. We've run out of wine, so just lemonade for now.

Easy question - Naples, Italy. I don't know how many times we were warned about it, but I really liked it. Yeah, it's dirty and chaotic, but if you dig a bit under the surface, there is a lot there. I left feeling like I needed more time, so I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Happy weekend, everyone!

Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Hi Statia, nice to have you back! Glad your trip was so successful

Coffee for me as I wait for my husband to arrive home later this evening. It is a beautiful, crisp fall evening here in New York - just lovely.

We were "warned" by my FIL not to travel to Chicago! Afterall, "Who travels to Chicago for a vacation?" What does he know?!? I had to laugh (hee,hee,hee) when he said the same thing to my S&BIL just this past August as they traveled to Chicago. The poor man doesn't know what he is missing just sticking with Europe, lol.

Have a pleasant evening, everyone!!!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Welcome home Statia ! Sounds like Christmas in September at your house.

Too early here in my time zone for poison, yet I'm thinking about a Nalle
Zin in the future.

My mother was afraid for me to learn to ski. (Odd, as she was quite the adventuresome traveler in her lifetime)
Well, naturally I fell for a fiancee
who found the slopes of Colorado
irresistable. I definetly had a longer relationship with the slopes than with him.

WOW, I loved Copper Mountain and Crested Butte ! Great memories...
Now, I married to a man who introduced me to scuba. I am happy to report that both relationships are dandy.

R5
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I'm just drinking water since I have to go pick Mr. Pickle up in a bit.

I decided to take my kids on a cross-country drive in 1999 in order to attend a couple of conferences in the DC area for home school leaders. Mr. Pickle couldn't get the time off, so he flew out for one of the conferences and then we all drove home together.

I got a bunch of shocked reactions from friends who were amazed that I would stay with people I had known online for years but had never met IRL, and when I arrived at the conference, people kept asking me, "And you really drove all by yourself?" :-0

We had a great time, too - stopped at the Gateway Arch, spent a day in Gettysburg and several days in Washington.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Elendipickle, isn't it amazing the online relationships we'll forge and not think a thing about having them visit us for a firt time (or vice versa).

It's interesting how one can really get a "feel" for people we talk to online for a length of time. I've had the same experience with guests and being a guest.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM

No exotic story here, lol! Before our trip to France though, my FIL kept asking why we would go when the French were so rude to us. Nevermind the man has never left this country. We ignored him, had a wonderful time in France, yet when we returned and told him of our experiences, he insisted that the French were rude.

No poison yet...too early still on the west coast. Bu I am thoroughly enjoying the downpour of rain we have been getting all day
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM

>>Elendipickle, isn't it amazing the online relationships we'll forge and not think a thing about having them visit us for a firt time (or vice versa).<<

It sure is! I don't think I would have done it if I hadn't known them for a few years, though.

At least one woman's husband was worried that I might be an ax murderer.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Hi Statia, we missed you! I'm glad you're back and enjoying life.

No poison for me. I've been getting allergy shots and I had a severe reaction today. It was pretty scary for awhile as my breathing was affected, but now all I have is a painful, red knot the size of a baseball on my arm.

Where was I warned not to travel? PARIS! I went twice this year, and both times I had family and friends raise their eyebrows and ask, "Aren't you afraid of (fill in the blank, mostly related to political issues)?" Paris is now my favorite place in the world, and I just love telling all the naysayers how wrong they were.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:12 PM

My poison is at home, I'm still at work for another 50 minutes or so, this is the downside being on the West Coast - everybody gets to their poisons earlier!

Before my vacation in Switzerland, a fellow Fodorite, out of all people, said: why, I didn't like it there, why are YOU going?

In 1998 I was warned it's not safe to go to Israel. I think it was the time of Iraq's bombing. With my then 16-year-old we had a trip of a lifetime!

Now I have a picture of Eilat as computer wallpaper and checking the flights and tour opportunities trying to figure out when, how, with whom. Note: "if" is absolutely out of question
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Jocelyn, I'm glad everything is okay with your reaction now. That can be a frightening experience!

I agree that Parisians are far nicer than most people think...even in light of political issues. That's been my experience, as well.

I was also told before going to Paris the first time, "It's VERY expensive so I hope you have a lot of money!" This was from people who had been there, as well, and most of them could easily afford to travel there and may other expensive places. However, we honestly didn't notice things being any more expensive than here in the islands.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Hi Statia! I've been thinking of you in Miami. With all that shopping I'm a little jealous!

My poison for now is a couple coronitas as I pack up to drive down to Long Beach Island, NJ. We're doing a long weekend there with friends and will enjoy the annual Chowderfest...10 shots of red & 10 shots of white chowder & then the big vote. It's lots of fun. Looking forward to a great time and lots of margaritas on the beach too.

As for travel, I can't recall anybody telling us not to go somewhere, although my in-laws love to travel but MIL can always find something to complain about. We are on very different wave lengths as far as travel goes so sometimes she can't understand why we'd want to go someplace that doesn't appeal to her at all.

Wherever we go, we have a great time & make the best of things if necessary.

Have a great weekend everyone! We're about to hit the road for the beach!

Trish
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like a blast, Trish! Have fun and report back!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:32 PM

Hi Statia and all, Gotta agree about Paris-people there were sooo nice to us. Anytime we even looked at our map or DK book, some French person, in gawdgeous English, offered help. Today I bought a bottle of Prosecco. It was more expensive than Italy price (well, less the plane fare, har har) but is bringing back memories. A friend of mine moved today so I was looking for champagne as house-warming. There were two chilled bottles of pros so I took it as a sign! Enjoy!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
emd

OK, I'll bite.

Just finished Aquinas Napa Valley Cabernet 2000 (was a very good year) along w/perfect filets, portobellos e/basil from my garden, garlic mashed potatoes, and herbed carrots w/assorted herbs also from the garden. The best meals are the most simple ones, esp. on Fri. night as we are heading to son's high school football game.

So to the question-- I was warned not to travel to Oaxaca in 1977 when I was 22. I was told it was too dangerous. But I went and yes, it was too dangerous. OUr bus got stopped by armed gunmen and they got us off, checked out our passports and bags, and just left us lined up outside the bus while they chatted and spit and pointed their guns around. I thought it might be a very bad situation, but quite suddenly they put us back on the bus and sent us on our way. And I loved Oaxaca and still have vivid memories of that trip to this day. Of course now I can't believe I did that and just cringe thinking that one of my kids might do something like that.

But alas, back to present reality- my family has headed out for the game and I am waiting at home for a Japanese hotel reservation line to open in 11 min. at 9 a.m. Japan time Oct. 1 for reservations 6 months from now when I am going w/my daughter in mid-April. These are highly coveted rooms and will be gone I am sure if I do not make this sacrifice. So I have country code and numbers in hand along w/credit card, and am just rabidly waiting for now 10 more min. to get through.

God, I really belong on this board. No one I know in person (except my immediate family) would ever guess what I am doing on a Fri. night.
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

emd, can I come have dinner at your house?

Sounds like an interesting trip to Oaxaca. Yikes!

I have to admit that I've often been envious of your trips to Japan. That's a "must" on my list but I've yet to make it there.

BTW - Did you ever make it to dinner at Mark's Place in Houston? Or did you go for lunch?
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Hi everybody. No poison yet, as I am waiting to see if I need to pick my daughter up at the football game. Once I find out or when I get back, it will be the usual Bogle chardonnay.

The only placed I have been warned against visiting is Kauai and that was from Kal...needless to say, I did not heed his warning---noisy chickens, endless rain...yup should've listened to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -